Sponsored

Observation probably nobody cares about

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Just rereading a C&D article I loved when I was younger, a drag race between a GMC Syclone (a “car” I lusted for) and a Ferrari 348. The Syclone was hugely impressive at the time for its amazing torque, launch, 0-60 and quarter mile stats. It beat the Ferrari in a dig drag race, though the Ferrari was charging up from behind at the end. 30 years ago but I was really impressed, with both.

Reading the old article again I glanced at C&D’s test results for the M6 EB HPP: Same torque as the Syclone (but at LOWER rpm), more power than the Ferrari, and even though same weight as the Syclone, quicker 0-60 than the Syclone, higher trap speed than the Ferrari, and would blow both out of the water by 5 lengths. Yes, 30 years ago but hugely impressive. I’ll bet it would put the hurt on almost all the great muscle cars from the 60s.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Nostalgia is great but emotionally colored lens. I got my drivers license in 1963. Some of my dream cars are speed and handling dogs compared to modern stuff.
I never had a hot car back in the day but some of my friends did. One had a 65 Pontiac GTO. Another had a 1968 Ford Mustang GT with a 390. Both had four speeds. I thought they were great back then. Now I still love the looks of both cars but know they are outclassed by even fairly plain jane modern sedans in performance.
My dream car setup has changed over time. For a few decades i just wanted a stock version of either restored to good condition. Now I want a fuel injected engine. A six speed manual. A coil over front suspension and a four link in the rear. I want a rack and pinion steering setup. My dilemma currently is how to find a bucket list car with modern running gear and old looks that does not cost too much.

A new friend who moved into TN from CA has a 65 Mustang project. He plans to do a Mustang II front clip and hopes to stick a Coyote in it.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Hello; Nostalgia is great but emotionally colored lens. I got my drivers license in 1963. Some of my dream cars are speed and handling dogs compared to modern stuff.
I never had a hot car back in the day but some of my friends did. One had a 65 Pontiac GTO. Another had a 1968 Ford Mustang GT with a 390. Both had four speeds. I thought they were great back then. Now I still love the looks of both cars but know they are outclassed by even fairly plain jane modern sedans in performance.
My dream car setup has changed over time. For a few decades i just wanted a stock version of either restored to good condition. Now I want a fuel injected engine. A six speed manual. A coil over front suspension and a four link in the rear. I want a rack and pinion steering setup. My dilemma currently is how to find a bucket list car with modern running gear and old looks that does not cost too much.

A new friend who moved into TN from CA has a 65 Mustang project. He plans to do a Mustang II front clip and hopes to stick a Coyote in it.
Nice.

yeah, I know, it is nostalgic. But I want to try to remember what it was like back then to appreciate the performance of the mustangs we drive now. It’s not easy. Easy to get jaded and used to what you have….but back in the day a 310 hp 350 ft-lb manual car that can do 0-60 near 5s, 13s in the quarter and trap over 100 would be exotic only and totally out of reach. Now it’s stock base model specs.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10

Im in JC...hope i can see this some day, sounds cool.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not only has performance been taken to new levels, but so has comfort and convenience. All those old 60's muscle cars had manual crank windows, a crummy radio with a single tinny speaker sitting in the dash, and air conditioning was a rare super premium option.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While I love late-model vehicles for everything they bring to the table, I still love the old stuff for its crudeness and simplicity. I'm fortunate to enjoy both ends of the spectrum for weekend fun cars.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Im in JC...hope i can see this some day, sounds cool.
Hello; I know JC. A bit far away from me. Maybe 100 miles. I am 78 miles to Kingsport and a little over 100 to Bristol. I am near where TN, VA and KY meet. Harrogate and Cumberland Gap close by.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Hello; I know JC. A bit far away from me. Maybe 100 miles. I am 78 miles to Kingsport and a little over 100 to Bristol. I am near where TN, VA and KY meet. Harrogate and Cumberland Gap close by.
Ah ok cool cool.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
While I love late-model vehicles for everything they bring to the table, I still love the old stuff for its crudeness and simplicity. I'm fortunate to enjoy both ends of the spectrum for weekend fun cars.
What’s on the other end of the spectrum from your mustang?

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What’s on the other end of the spectrum from your mustang?
Currently just my '67 Cougar, which I've owned since 1986. Looking to add another Fox body as it's been a while, but the right one hasn't turned up.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Nice. I love foxbodys…esp the 87-93 LX 5.0 fastback manual. My car is a pig compared to one, at least 700 lbs heavier. Much more than made up for by 500+ more crank hp but much more insulated and less direct feeling. Plus the fox 302s sounded better at idle than when my car (15-17) was stock.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I miss my 64 goat with the 389 tri power, 4 speed close ratio M22, 3.30 12 bolt posi rear end and only an alternator on the motor. It was a delete A/C, PS, PB, 4 wheel drum brakes with single cylinder master cylinder and am radio. No power comforts of any kind but only weighed 2875 pound with a full tank and fluids. It was crude and rude but would run 12.70s off the showroom floor and beat the 327 feulie vettes for showroom stock performance for 64. It was the one that Fred Wagners and John DeLorean snuck under GM corporates noses as an option to the tempest models.

It got 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg at 80 mph on the highway. Just would not slow down near as fast as it would go. But was a pure visceral adrenaline pumping hot rod for the day.

I worked on both the cyclone and typhoons of the day and they were fun little sleepers indeed.

BD

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I miss my 64 goat with the 389 tri power, 4 speed close ratio M22, 3.30 12 bolt posi rear end and only an alternator on the motor. It was a delete A/C, PS, PB, 4 wheel drum brakes with single cylinder master cylinder and am radio. No power comforts of any kind but only weighed 2875 pound with a full tank and fluids. It was crude and rude but would run 12.70s off the showroom floor and beat the 327 feulie vettes for showroom stock performance for 64. It was the one that Fred Wagners and John DeLorean snuck under GM corporates noses as an option to the tempest models.

It got 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg at 80 mph on the highway. Just would not slow down near as fast as it would go. But was a pure visceral adrenaline pumping hot rod for the day.

I worked on both the cyclone and typhoons of the day and they were fun little sleepers indeed.

BD
Hello; Drum brakes. Bet the younger generation do not know of the sort of brake fade you speak of. My friend with the 65 GTO would run so hard the brakes would not slow the car down after a bit. Had to let them cool down.
I had a 57 Pontiac sedan with drum brakes. I had to cross a ridge over Pine Mountain down to get to Harlan KY. I drove a bit too fast and the brakes would already be warm from the curvy roads getting to the ridge road. By the time i got near the bottom of the steep road my brakes would be near gone.
For those too young to know the drums were round and the brake pads (shoes) pushed outward from the inside. As they got hot the drum would expand and the shoes could not move far enough to make strong contact, so the brakes became much less effective.
Some makes had drums with fins on the outer surface to move the heat away better. Drums worked fine until they got hot.
I learned to do brake work on drum brakes. Still have the tools to work on them.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I learned to do brake work on drum brakes. Still have the tools to work on them.
I have them as well, along with a tach/dwell meter that hasn't been used in 25+ years.
Sponsored