OBD II question/ experience

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Will a poorly connected OBD dongle/cable cause odd faults/behavior?

I popped a CEL and hooked up my code reader. It's a decent Innova one, not great but we'll above basic.
It showed me the code but then the car went wonky. The entertainment system and the dash both turned off but the car did not die. In a few seconds both came back on but the dash flashed three warnings. First was the wrench symbol with "Check service manual" then "Service Advancetrac" and finally "ECM lost communication". The OBD reader also lost communication. I turned the engine off and pulled the OBD cable and it felt like it was loose coming out.
Later when I started the car there were no more warnings (just the original CEL) and the car ran fine.

I'm leaning towards a loose OBD cable causing some kind of spike but it's really the first time anything like this has happened to me so IDK...
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I'm going to be honest. When it comes to the OBD system, I'll pay a certified shop to check it. As sophisticated as the electronics have gotten, I just don't trust the otc readers sold at auto parts anymore. Just MHO.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i use a bluetooth dongle and have never had issues when it's been used but like anything electrical loose cables / wires cause all sorts of havoc. If it's running fine with the loose cable removed then i'd suggest that could be the issue.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Possible. ODB readers are inexpensive, may want to try another one.
Sponsored