Sponsored

o2 sensor failure on e85 with stock headers?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have had both sides bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 go out. I was running e85 and started having my idle go rough and I would occasionally stall, then my Check Engine light came on for the o2 sensor, I replaced that sensor but was still having the rough idle and occasional stalling issue. I drove for months with this idle issue waiting for a light to come on again thinking the other sensor must have been damaged too or something but I switched to 93 octane to see if that would clear out my system if it happened to be a fuel system clogging issue. That didnt work, I then got a check engine light for the other side o2 sensor while running 93 octane. I replaced that sensor too but STILL had the idle going rough and occasionally stalling. I eventually took the car to the dealer and they replaced the VCT solenoids and that fixed my issue. The car is currently running great but I am wanting to go back on e85. I dont want to keep replacing sensors though.

Has anyone else had o2 sensor failures with the OEM headers while running e85? Could the sensor failures be related to the vct solenoids somehow and not the e85?
Sponsored

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your 02 sensors were probably not bad at all. The codes were most likley caused because of the malfunctioning vct system. Just because a code says bank one sensor one sensor doesn't mean it is bad. It was probably either stuck lean or rich due to the vct system malfunctioning

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Andy, I have been running E85 exclusively for 9k miles @ 16 plus months. Once cam phasers replaced @ 6k my car has not died once at idle. Only had that problem for 600-800 miles. Have not had any O2 sensor issues. Fyi.
Sponsored