Sponsored

Nys inspection with Lund emissions tune

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Buddy had similar issues with Lund emissions time, ended up buying an SCT and getting mustang magic to get him a tune with the sensors grayed out and he passed
It is probably something simple as unchecking a box...

Wish I could just do it my self.
Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Buddy had similar issues with Lund emissions time, ended up buying an SCT and getting mustang magic to get him a tune with the sensors grayed out and he passed
took the words out of my mouth..

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Has anyone actually tried getting an inspection in NY with everything just about grayed out except Fuel, EVAP, and MIS and gotten a fail? That's what passed me here. Curious if it's the same way because I'd have failed on the emissions tune, but my flex tune is what passed me since "not available" is not the same as "not ready".

Lund is pretty clear up front there's no guarantee to pass. I could never get my O2 / HO2 to go green with my setup. Now I just stroll in with a Flex or E85R tune for future inspections.
This will never happen in NYS anymore. we use to be able to pass with all monitors off It all changed in 2014. NYS switched to a company called OPUS. They have this new system that can detect tunes in the cars. I had to work around getting my SVT Lightning the first few years. Would never pass with a tune in it. Had to put factory tune in it and baby the car to get monitors on and then go to Inspection place. After inspection, I uploaded the other tune and it was all good. https://www.opus.global/news/opus-inspection-awarded-us-patent-for-obd-fraud-detection-system/

Funny thing I just found out is that this company is from Sweden. It is not even an American company.
Opus Group's Certified Adviser
Thenberg & Kinde Fondkommission AB
Krokslätts parkgata 4
SE-431 24 Mölndal, Sweden

Opus Inspection awarded US Patent for OBD Fraud Detection System
Opus Inspection, Inc. has been awarded US Patent 8,666,588 FRAUD DETECTION IN AN OBD INSPECTION SYSTEM. The innovative technology, marketed under the trademark “Tamper Terminator™,” addresses a problem that has been increasingly challenging to government agencies relying on On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) testing for emission inspection since the early 2000’s. Specifically, vehicle owners sometimes tamper with, or remove, catalytic converters, and make other modifications to emission control systems that can have significant negative effects on tailpipe emissions. Any type of tampering with emission control systems with the goal of fraudulently passing an emission inspection is illegal in the US and many other countries, but can be hidden using readily available devices to evade detection, such as aftermarket performance chips and O2 simulators.

Opus Inspection's patented Tamper Terminator detects the use of such illegal devices during a mandatory OBD based emission inspection. Tamper Terminator has been field tested in Portland and Los Angeles. When used in conjunction with an emission inspection program, the ability to show reduced tampering rates may provide the basis for claiming additional emission credits from the US EPA, thus providing an incentive for states to implement the new technology.

“Continued innovation is central to our business philosophy,” said Lothar Geilen, President of Opus Inspection. “This new technology will improve the efficiency of conventional emission inspection programs. We look forward to introducing Tamper Terminator™ to our current and future customers.”

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Places still can beat opus, I know of lots of 1-4 years old cars with catless headers on the island..

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just looked at my most recent tunes from Lund and I see the emissions controls on unlike my previous ones. My E85R tune has everything on with the O2/HO2 red like my original problem. I still need to look at my flex and 93 tunes, but I have a feeling it's going to be the same. Makes me wonder if they made that change for everyone so the EPA doesn't come looking for them.

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That is the one thing I disliked about LUND. I'm in tree-hugging NY as well and I specifically asked LUND about passing NYS inspections. Even though they KNOW it will not, they danced around the subject and refused to say so. Just to make a couple hundred bucks on a sale. Good luck to you!
Lund was upfront with me when I inquired about about headers and a tune meeting NYS emissions for my 2018 Whippled GT in October of last year. They said:
" we can send a tune for that but we never guarantee passing with our tune . We simply cannot. We are not Emission experts and our tunes are off road use tunes."

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
A lot of remote tuners aren't going to play around with, lets say, falsifying or manipulating emissions stuff anymore due to how hard the EPA has cracked down on tuning companies in the past. I know Lund advertises an "emissions" safe tune, but I am damn sure they aren't going to turn off your EGR monitors or stuff like that. Honestly your best bet is having it locally tuned and giving a bit of a wink wink, nudge nudge to get the car setup to pass.

I used to live in NJ and our emissions process is almost the same as NY, except we don't have that new "fraud" detection that was implemented in 2014. I believe one of the ways that setup works is to make sure your VIN hasn't been altered as I've seen SCT tunes change the VIN stored in the PCM to something starting with SCT (my xcal4 on my 03 marauder does this, my older xcal3 on the 04 marauder does not).

I have two friends, same car (one sold to the other), this is a supercharged 03 marauder with headers, no cats and no EGR. The shop who tuned it in NJ was able to set the monitors up so it would pass NJ emissions. When friend A sold the car to friend B, it was inspected up in the buffalo area and again, passed NYS emissions inspection.

It can be done, you just have to find a tuner who A. knows how to beat the system and B. is willing to. If you find such a person, don't be the guy running around facebook advertising it on their behalf, emissions tweaking is not something shops usually like to openly advertise.

ANTOX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I PASSED NYC INSPECTION

Sorry to revive a old thread but this is for the people still having this issue. Reading this and a few other threads around the net, I decided to tackle the problem myself. The Lund emissions tune DOES work. My car: 2015 Mustang GT. I currently have 47lb injectors, 2018 manifold, Cat deletes, H pipe, Roush Axelbacks. Passed with flying colors. All I added was spacers between the HO2 sensor and the lund emissions tune. Drove the car around for a bit. I believe the key is the length of spacers. I was driving around with longer L shaped spacers and the car wouldn’t ready the infamous HO2, Heated HO2, and Cat sensors. I shortened the spacer and it passed in 10 miles of driving.
CAC669A1-FE83-425B-AD52-235AEBBE020D.jpeg
67B1EBA9-D789-4A00-8210-E8340885FCE8.jpeg
873A32D5-9168-4CCD-8C79-67EFDE644DBE.jpeg

Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Thanks for sharing!
Where in NY are you located approximately?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Pass it with long tube headers and I'll be impressed!

Congrats regardless.