corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Of course without an LSD of any type it is more likely to get tire wearing wheelspin with powerful rwd car or any rwd car with an aggressive driver. FYI solid axle GT's with clutch pack limited slips also tend to wear the right rear more than the left rear. Probably due to the shorter corner radius as suggested above.
Shorter corner radius plus driveshaft torque unloading the right rear . . . worst of both worlds.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On my old 71 Roadrunner with a 440 4-speed, the clutch pack lasted 100k. Plus when it comes time to rebuild.. the world is your oyster as far as how crazy you wanna get with clutch packs.
Clutch packs last a whole lot longer when you're not trying to feed lots of power and turn without spinning out of control at the same time. Lots of power wants to tighten the pack, and the cornering insists that it slip against the greater friction anyway.

Autocross is probably the most abusive activity as far as clutch-style LSDs are concerned. You might just learn to love the smells of gear oil and LSD friction modifier.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Clutch packs last a whole lot longer when you're not trying to feed lots of power and turn without spinning out of control at the same time. Lots of power wants to tighten the pack, and the cornering insists that it slip against the greater friction anyway.

Autocross is probably the most abusive activity as far as clutch-style LSDs are concerned. You might just learn to love the smells of gear oil and LSD friction modifier.

Norm
Yeah. Tell me about it. I need a torsen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah. Tell me about it. I need a torsen.
So do I. Even though there isn't much autocross time on my '08, these days its T-lok is feeling more like a T-usedtolok.

Norm

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Hell, I'd love to know why my Torsen LSD eats the hell out of my passenger side rear tire. The non-Torsen 3.73 LSD in my 2012 Track Pack car did the same damn thing.
Happened to my OE Pirelli Zeros... The Michelin A/S3+ are doing just fine. I don't "track" my car at all. Just drive to work and back.

I think it has to do with the torque biasing requirement and the pinion rotation direction. It'd be an interesting mechanical study if anyone feels like funding my dissertation. ;)

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The Torsen rear diff is much more robust than the lsd
Track pack cars have it standard.
If you don't care about having or feel you the track pack option and all the items it includes I wouldn't worry about the lsd
Ford had Torsen design to a more severe duty level than they did for their own clutch pack diff. So, its the heavy-duty part to the Traction-Lok's standard duty, at least in the case of the S550 application. Torsen also sells an even heavier-duty model as well.
Sponsored