Sponsored

Torsen rear end pop noise when turning?

Jgonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt premium pp
Just recently bought a 15 gt premium pp. and every once in a while I'll hear a pop noise, normally it's only when making sharp turns. Has happened when driving straight once as well. Anyone else experiencing this??
Sponsored

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
I hear it when pulling forward out of a parking space once I turn the wheels. I think I've read that it is a normal characteristic of the torsion rear, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Jgonzo

Jgonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt premium pp
Thanks guys! New to the forum, I did a search on it and nothing pulled up. Then as soon as I post this I find a thread about it lol

Lnesprido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Can you link it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Just recently bought a 15 gt premium pp. and every once in a while I'll hear a pop noise, normally it's only when making sharp turns. Has happened when driving straight once as well. Anyone else experiencing this??
Be thankful it's not same BANG my Detroit locker would often make around corners. It was either that or the inside tire would bark when breaking loose, not what you want with a cop in the opposing lane of an intersection.:eyebulge:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
If it is occurring at all in a straight line situation, then it cannot be the differential. Bear in mind that while the going straight, nothing inside of the differential is moving. The gearing is static in relation to the ring gear, and the whole thing might as well be one cast piece for all that's going on in there. So the differential does nothing to contribute to a noise in a straight line.

OTOH, if it is a noise that only occurs while turning (especially in a sharp turn), then there is a reasonable expectation that it is caused by the diff. I would suggest that you reevaluate what you are experiencing and qualify whether you are really getting it in a straight line or not.

Here's my thoughts on the matter - if its turning only, it probably is the diff. In all likelihood, its making normal characteristic noises that are normally not heard in the cabin, but occasionally are. Annoying, maybe, but not detrimental. However, if it is observed in straight-line driving, during drive-off acceleration perhaps, then it is more likely to be a bearing or some quirk of the ring & pinion gear mesh, or maybe something upstream in the prop shaft joints or transmission - noises travel up and down shafts readily - in which case, that should really be diagnosed before it becomes a problem. But it starts with determining when it is actually occurring.

bigperm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 mustang conv.
I have felt it too. Only happens with the first couple turns. Feels kinda like an oldschool LSD without the friction modifier. I think it is normal for a good tight limited slip.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
To be clear, are we taking about a mechanical "pop" sound coming from the axle, or simply scrubbing/crow-hopping tires while cornering? When this happens, what (specifically) are you doing? Lightly accelerating? Coasting? Standing on it? Its tough to sort out what you might be experiencing without having a picture of the event as it happens.

Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I not only hear this metallic popping but feel a jolt too. I find it hard to believe an engineer "meant to do that".

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I can maybe picture how the diff could make the noise (noises occur when you intentionally create friction), but the jolt is very much uncharacteristic. I would sooner wonder if a CV joint is causing that in your case - I would certainly suggest getting the dealer to weigh in on it.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
The popping noise mainly occurs when making turns; really prevalent on the drivers side wheel area. No matter what type of turn, sometimes it'll also does it during gradual uphill turns like going up one's driveway or parking structure.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
You say "mainly occurs when making turns" - this implies that you've heard when going straight. Not to belabor the point, but this is an important criteria for determining the source of the noise. Can you soundly confirm that you've heard in a straight line, or are you simply not certain if you have or not? This is a primary step in the if/then chain in tracing the noise to its root. If you know that you have, then it has to be a source other than the diff - or (I suppose) - you're hearing two similar, coincident noises under different situations. I tend not to believe in coincidences.

Lnesprido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The popping noise mainly occurs when making turns; really prevalent on the drivers side wheel area. No matter what type of turn, sometimes it'll also does it during gradual uphill turns like going up one's driveway or parking structure.

This is exactly the description of what I'm experiencing. I took it to the dealer this past weekend they did a complete inspection of the rear end and could not find the source. They did however confirm the noise, but could not find the root cause. They thankfully, noted it in the system so that it's recorded and will continue to monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored