Non-disclosure of Mach 1 engine replacement by Dealer

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
This happens... a defective engine comes with the brand new car and it's noticed at the dealer prior to sale. Warranty replaces motor.. dealer does not have to disclose this.

I saw a brand new gt500 come off the transport truck and the engine was ticking... new motor went in.
When I worked at large franchise transmission shop,
Every week we had new car haulers dropping brand new trans am, camaro, and corvettes with just enough miles to have been test driven. We fixed them and they were never driven by us except on a lift to confirm the repair was completed. All sold as new. This was in the early 1980s.
These were shipped via rail and staged at the factory near where I worked. I stopped counting how many cars we fixed but it went on for years.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Unless you can prove they installed a reman engine in your new car, you pretty much don't have a leg to stand on. Just move on and enjoy your car. I mean I get it, I would be pissed too if they did that to me and my car but at the end of the day you are SOL.

Now the issue that led you to this unfortunate discovery, the steering wheel was off. Center the wheels, crawl under and disconnect the steering shaft, rotate the steering wheel a full 360 and then reconnect the shaft. the column shaft and the input to the rack are clocked and will only connect in one position so if it's off, then the steering wheel was moved while the K member was dropped out. It really is that simple of a fix. Once you get it close enough for your liking, take it to an independent shop for a proper alignment.

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Center the wheels, crawl under and disconnect the steering shaft, rotate the steering wheel a full 360 and then reconnect the shaft.
Do these cars not have a clock spring? I imagine they do like every other car I have ever touched. Sounds like a great way to tear the ribbon in there.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Isn't the clock spring under the steering wheel itself on top of the column inside the car? I'm talking about the mechanical u-joint that connects the column to the rack itself. I had to disconnect mine when I installed the long tube headers. It's simple, just one bolt.

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
I believe the salesman for whatever that is worth. Most likely came off truck ticking and the threw new engine in it. Now this is what Ohio law states

"
Section 4517.61 | Franchisor's damage disclosure statement.
Ohio Revised Code
/
Title 45 Motor Vehicles-Aeronautics-Watercraft
/
Chapter 4517 Motor Vehicle Dealers, Auction Owners, And Salespersons
previous.png

next.png

Effective:
March 14, 1980
Latest Legislation:
Senate Bill 206 - 113th General Assembly
PDF:
Download Authenticated PDF

Each franchisor shall disclose to its franchisees in writing prior to or at the time of delivery of any new motor vehicle any damage to the motor vehicle that has been corrected after completion of the manufacturing process and exceeds six per cent of the franchisor's suggested retail price of the motor vehicle, as measured by retail repair costs. Each franchisee shall provide the purchaser of any such repaired motor vehicle with a copy of the franchisor's damage disclosure statement. Damage to glass, tires and bumpers is excluded from the six per cent when replaced by identical manufacturer's original equipment.
"

See link here for more:

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4517.61

Personally if it was mine I would not be happy and want them to take the car back free and clear but the chances of finding another one to your liking could be tough.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I believe the salesman for whatever that is worth. Most likely came off truck ticking and the threw new engine in it. Now this is what Ohio law states

"
Section 4517.61 | Franchisor's damage disclosure statement.
Ohio Revised Code
/
Title 45 Motor Vehicles-Aeronautics-Watercraft
/
Chapter 4517 Motor Vehicle Dealers, Auction Owners, And Salespersons
previous.png

next.png

Effective:
March 14, 1980
Latest Legislation:
Senate Bill 206 - 113th General Assembly
PDF:
Download Authenticated PDF

Each franchisor shall disclose to its franchisees in writing prior to or at the time of delivery of any new motor vehicle any damage to the motor vehicle that has been corrected after completion of the manufacturing process and exceeds six per cent of the franchisor's suggested retail price of the motor vehicle, as measured by retail repair costs. Each franchisee shall provide the purchaser of any such repaired motor vehicle with a copy of the franchisor's damage disclosure statement. Damage to glass, tires and bumpers is excluded from the six per cent when replaced by identical manufacturer's original equipment.
"

See link here for more:

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4517.61

Personally if it was mine I would not be happy and want them to take the car back free and clear but the chances of finding another one to your liking could be tough.
Well according to this, you may have a leg to stand on afterall. If the car was a regular GT I would fight it and force them to buy it back and go get another one from another dealer. But since the car is a M1, good luck finding another one just like it. I would just file a complaint with the state and demand they compensate you for diminished value and make them fix the car to your liking.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Isn't the clock spring under the steering wheel itself on top of the column inside the car? I'm talking about the mechanical u-joint that connects the column to the rack itself. I had to disconnect mine when I installed the long tube headers. It's simple, just one bolt.
Yes, that is where it usually is located. It sounded like you suggested to disconnect the U-joint at the rack, turn the steering wheel 1 full turn, then reconnect it in the new position. The problem with this, if true, is that now the clock spring is not centered (it’s off by one full turn) and will over extend when turning the wheel to full lock in one direction, almost certainly damaging it. I have actually done this way back in my apprentice days.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like when they dropped out the k member, some one bumped or turned the steering wheel and when it was put back together it was turned again to get it to line up. Or they could have moved the rack input itself. Either way, whatever was done needs to be reversed. In this day and age cars just don't roll off the line with the steering wheel off center, and if it does it's not by much. The OP never did say how far it was off.

Now that I think about it, there is only one position out of 360 degrees where the steering shaft will line up so if you did disconnect it and rotate one full turn, you would still be off by the same amount, but now you would be out of sync between the rack and clock spring. They probably disconnected the tie rod ends and f'd them up when they put it back together.

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Care to share your VIN? I can try and review the warranty history and hopefully see why they replaced the engine.

Pre-sale repairs aren't uncommon unfortunately. Transporters aren't the most careful people and tend to damage body work more than engines, but there are cases of brand new cars needing X part replaced due to failure right off the truck. Best it happened before you got it!

It also sounds like they didn't do a proper repair - any subframe removed should be witness marked so it goes back in close to where it was before. If the steering wheel was off during a post repair road test, they should've done an alignment.

Last edited:

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Now the issue that led you to this unfortunate discovery, the steering wheel was off. Center the wheels, crawl under and disconnect the steering shaft, rotate the steering wheel a full 360 and then reconnect the shaft. the column shaft and the input to the rack are clocked and will only connect in one position so if it's off, then the steering wheel was moved while the K member was dropped out. It really is that simple of a fix. Once you get it close enough for your liking, take it to an independent shop for a proper alignment.
As for this advice do nothing of the sort. This is something for a dealership to do under warranty.

But before doing anything my best advice is call a lawyer that has knowledge of dealing with dealerships and see what their advice is. I don’t think anyone here advising you is a lawyer. They know the law and can explain to you what avenues if any you have available to you.

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Highvolts -Not sure what forum rules are ref identifying dealers. Maybe a moderator could advise.
Feel free to hit me with a PM. Not sure why a dealer mention would matter.

I got mine at Ricart. Surprisingly excellent experience.
Sponsored