Sponsored

Noise restriction question Laguna Seca

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Well it looks like I might be able to attend a Laguna Seca track day next week after all. I have a question for those who have run there before. I know they have a 90 dB sound limit. My 2016 GT motor is stock with the exception of a Mach Thunder cat back exhaust. No headers. The sound level is between the more mellow "touring" cat backs and the screaming "race style" cat backs.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not I should be worried about exceeding the 90 dB limit with this type of exhaust? Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well it looks like I might be able to attend a Laguna Seca track day next week after all. I have a question for those who have run there before. I know they have a 90 dB sound limit. My 2016 GT motor is stock with the exception of a Mach Thunder cat back exhaust. No headers. The sound level is between the more mellow "touring" cat backs and the screaming "race style" cat backs.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not I should be worried about exceeding the 90 dB limit with this type of exhaust? Any input is appreciated!
There's an excellent chance you'll exceed 90 with the Thunder.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Well I ordered a sound meter for $20 from Amazon for same day delivery. When it comes in today I will do my own testing at 50 feet and see what I get.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You won't pass.

Guaranteed.

I'd put your stock cat back on or you will have to lift or short shift at the sounds tower.

I've gone through this with my Shelby, you will be shocked at how quiet the the track is.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
OK, thanks [MENTION=11290]xXANCHORMONXx[/MENTION]. I'm going to test to see how much sound it makes. If it's not too far out of line, I will try adding some 90 degree tips to divert the sound towards the left to if it will do any better.

I don't have my stock system any longer. It was taking up too much room and the last place I thought I would need it of all places was a race track... :crazy:

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For me the the Laguna pipes I pipes were good for 2 db or so.

Gearing is different but at the bottom of the hill before coming up I'm at the top of 3rd. When I make the turn right before I pass the tower I short shift into 4th and pass all day.

The next thing I do is track left, which also helps.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
If you are going to frequent Laguna Seca, and I mean frequent, adapt, lift, or conform. Personally if that was my home track I would conform. Make your life easier.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
If you are going to frequent Laguna Seca, and I mean frequent, adapt, lift, or conform. Personally if that was my home track I would conform. Make your life easier.
Yes, I agree. However, the tracks I frequent are more south. If I can find a temporary solution then it would be fine for a once a year trek.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Laguna Seca is on my bucket list.. even at 90db :D

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Well I did some unscientific sound checks today with a dB meter. I measured out 50 feet from the center of the lane and had someone standing there to take readings. My loudest was 93.7 accelerating in 3rd from 5-6,000 RPM's. My lowest was 90.6 accelerating in 4th from 3700-4500 RPM's.

I'm thinking that if I remove my exhaust tips and slide on a 90 degree elbow facing toward the drivers side and slightly up may work as long as I stay out of 3rd gear through turn 5. Thoughts?

Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Lots of times they will give you crap if they see you aiming the noise away from the meter. At least the track where I live does. Downturns can only be aimed towards the ground and not opposite of the meter

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Lots of times they will give you crap if they see you aiming the noise away from the meter. At least the track where I live does. Downturns can only be aimed towards the ground and not opposite of the meter
Not true for Laguna Seca. You can do whatever you want.