Sponsored

Noise/hum from new rear speakers

Bronze_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2022 Mustang GT
I just swapped out the rear speakers for a slight upgrade (Kickers). I'm not 100% done w/ the installation, but after mounting the new speakers and connecting the new wiring harnesses, I'm getting noise from them when there is power to the radio, but when the vehicle is not running (like when I open the door). I know this is likely ground related and Crutchfield support mentioned that the ground could be "in the interior panels" which I have yet to reinstall. Has anyone had similar issues and have a resolution?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If all you did was change out the speakers, then the noise was always there you just made it more pronounced. I have noticed a similar effect where the noise floor of the stereo seems to be a little bit louder if the engine isn't running.

Also, changing to a coaxial driver with the addition of a tweeter, the speaker is able to produce a higher range of frequencies. That background noise is most noticeable in the higher frequency range. The new speaker is probably far more efficient than the OEM and as a result, the speaker is louder given the same input level. So music as well as noise is going to get a boost in volume.

OP
OP
Bronze_Monkey

Bronze_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2022 Mustang GT
If all you did was change out the speakers, then the noise was always there you just made it more pronounced.
That's a good point... and I'm testing without the rear deck cover installed so there's nothing muffling it at all.

Sponsored

JStang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Did you cut out the factory speakers from the mount and screw the Kickers down to that or use the free mount crutchfield provided? I just did this same upgrade to 2017 v6 and decided to reuse the factory mount because it had some foam insulation and the free mounts were just solid plastic. Not sure that’s your prob but maybe worth considering.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If all you did was change out the speakers, then the noise was always there you just made it more pronounced. I have noticed a similar effect where the noise floor of the stereo seems to be a little bit louder if the engine isn't running.

Also, changing to a coaxial driver with the addition of a tweeter, the speaker is able to produce a higher range of frequencies. That background noise is most noticeable in the higher frequency range. The new speaker is probably far more efficient than the OEM and as a result, the speaker is louder given the same input level. So music as well as noise is going to get a boost in volume.
I’d have to agree, if your connections are solid then that noise was probably already inherent in the system. He could also check the chassis and battery grounds but I’m betting it won’t make much difference.
Sponsored