No key detected

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
It's happened twice now. I pull into a local Phillips 66 they have 93 for a top off. Last year at this same station when ready to leave the car reads "No Key Detected".
Thinking then it was a fluke after hitting brakes and ignition button a few times with no luck. I start thinking this time, damn it is happening again, and can't quickly remember the procedure for remedy. Tried first, and I now remember doing this same thing last year to no avail, to use the remote start buttons on the fob. The engine starts but gear shift and wheel are still locked and dash reads NKD. Yep been through this before and finally remember to remove the cup holder liner and place the fob in the rectangular compartment and walla she's freed up and ready to roll. I wish I knew what causes this problem I am starting to think it has something to do with the gas station, but that seems impossible I do get fuel here every once in awhile. So wondering if any one else has run into a similar circumstance. :inspect:
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Weak or dead battery in the remote? It actually takes two CR2025 batteries, as I found out last week when I went to change "the battery" in it.

And it could very well be the gas station, or more accurately, some signal they are emitting for the doors or whatever. Sometimes at my local Costco, depending on how close I park to the building, the car/door handle will not detect that I have my hand in the door handle and doesn't auto-unlock like normal. I have to hit the unlock button on the remote and then the doors unlock fine.

This happened two days ago with fresh batteries in the remote. It's like the signal was jammed or interfered with. Nothing being done on purpose, of course, but there's definitely some signal weirdness going on.

OP
OP
lew

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
And it could very well be the gas station, or more accurately, some signal they are emitting for the doors or whatever. Sometimes at my local Costco, depending on how close I park to the building, the car/door handle will not detect that I have my hand in the door handle and doesn't auto-unlock like normal. I have to hit the unlock button on the remote and then the doors unlock fine.

This happened two days ago with fresh batteries in the remote. It's like the signal was jammed or interfered with. Nothing being done on purpose, of course, but there's definitely some signal weirdness going on.
I am thinking on the line of signal interference, as even though I havn't changed the fob batteries my car being only a year old and having no other start problems else ware lead me to believe some thing is scrambling and thus close proximity of fob to console alleviates the signal corruption.
Thanks for the battery type's.

No, I have not replaced the fob batteries, could be weak, and just a coincidence of problems at the station. It wouldn't hurt to have a spare set of batteries on hand regardless. Thanks

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
ps
I've never had start problems, even with low battery power in the remote. Upon startup I'd get a dash message "Low remote battery--replace soon." but it would start fine. But there's been multiple instances of the door not unlocking when I put my hand in the handle. Usually at that Costco but has happened at other places too. Always in a parking lot of some commercial establishment. Never at my house or at someone else's house.