Sponsored

Key fob not working in cold weather

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
So I'm having a few different issues here with the key fob.

First off, it's been cold as hell here the past few days - around 0 overnight. This morning, I grab my keys and go to use the remote start - nothing. I hit the lock button and the lights don't even flash. I think I saw one red light on the fob blink one time, but after that, nothing at all. Car wouldn't even lock from inside my house, and yes, before anyone asks, the window I'm at is less than 20 feet from my car.

So, I'm not sure if this is a fob issue or electronic issue within the car (I'm assuming the latter)

Along with this, whenever it is ridiculously cold, after I get in the car and get it started and start moving, I get the pop up on the screen that says "KEY NOT DETECTED" even though it's in my pocket....

I looked around here and couldn't find much regarding this. Any ideas? I'll probably just take it in and have it looked at but was curious if any others had this problem. 2015 Mustang BTW.

TL;DR, remote start won't work, getting "key not detected" at times when driving - only happens in cold weather.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
So I'm having a few different issues here with the key fob.

First off, it's been cold as hell here the past few days - around 0 overnight. This morning, I grab my keys and go to use the remote start - nothing. I hit the lock button and the lights don't even flash. I think I saw one red light on the fob blink one time, but after that, nothing at all. Car wouldn't even lock from inside my house, and yes, before anyone asks, the window I'm at is less than 20 feet from my car.

So, I'm not sure if this is a fob issue or electronic issue within the car (I'm assuming the latter)

Along with this, whenever it is ridiculously cold, after I get in the car and get it started and start moving, I get the pop up on the screen that says "KEY NOT DETECTED" even though it's in my pocket....

I looked around here and couldn't find much regarding this. Any ideas? I'll probably just take it in and have it looked at but was curious if any others had this problem. 2015 Mustang BTW.

TL;DR, remote start won't work, getting "key not detected" at times when driving - only happens in cold weather.

Have you tried changing the battery in the fob?

OP
OP
RemoteSenses

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
Have you tried changing the battery in the fob?
No, but I have tried my second key fob and have the same problem so it leads me to believe it isn't the battery. Also, like I mentioned, it only happens when it is ridiculously cold. I never have this problem outside of December-February.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
No, but I have tried my second key fob and have the same problem so it leads me to believe it isn't the battery. Also, like I mentioned, it only happens when it is ridiculously cold. I never have this problem outside of December-February.
you have a 15 the batteries are the same age even if you have not used the other at all or much they are both old batteries. Trust me put in new ones

OP
OP
RemoteSenses

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
you have a 15 the batteries are the same age even if you have not used the other at all or much they are both old batteries. Trust me put in new ones
Honestly, I just don't believe that. I have had other key fobs that lasted literally years on the same battery - there's no reason that it just sitting there would kill the battery in the second fob.

Like I said, again, it only happens in the cold weather. The 'no key detected' also only happens in the cold weather.

I guess I can try changing the batteries but I really, really, really doubt that is the problem.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
not trying to argue just trying to help. Tell ya what go to Kroger or Walmart or whatever is close to you and get a battery for $3.99 put it in. If it works you saved money in gas because you didnt have to drive to the dealer. If it doesnt work your out $3.99 but at least you have a new battery.

Most of my fobs i get 1 to 2 years at most on a battery.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Honestly, I just don't believe that. I have had other key fobs that lasted literally years on the same battery - there's no reason that it just sitting there would kill the battery in the second fob.

Like I said, again, it only happens in the cold weather. The 'no key detected' also only happens in the cold weather.

I guess I can try changing the batteries but I really, really, really doubt that is the problem.
and PS cold lowers voltage in a battery due to the slowing of the chemical reaction in lower temperatures.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
0F? thats -17C OMG whaaat :eyebulge:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
remember, most other fobs don't use any power unless you push a button. These are different. They have a constant (probably microamp. I doubt it's in the milliamps) drain due to the nature of the passive entry.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
0F? thats -17C OMG whaaat :eyebulge:
ha! ...and this from a Canadian!

I remember starting my F250 one morning in 2011 at -18F (~-28C)... or "50 below freezing". Just awful noises coming from my transmission. Scared me until I realized the gear oil was probably a solid congealed mass in the ZF...

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
test the batteries with a volt meter, each battery is 3 Volts

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I had to pull my door handle more than 5 times a few mornings ago, happens intermittently with the proximity function, unlocks correctly if I press the key.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

As a former employee at a dealer, replacing the keyfob batteries is not a bad idea. The batteries will drain just sitting there if not used, also cold = requires more power = less range. It doesn't hurt to replace the batteries. I would also give a jingle to your service department, worst case they replace the receiver in the vehicle.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I have a 2013 Chevy Pickup and the remote fob still reaches the truck just as far as it did when new. My 2015 Mustang fob batteries died in about a year...I replaced the batteries in both fobs. I also bought extras to keep in the glove box, just in case.
Sponsored