No Glove Box Light?

Tank.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'18 F150, '22 Bronco 2dr, '23 Mustang
I have a 2023 gt 401A, and was replacing the map lights with LEDs, so I thought I'd change out the glove box light while I'm at it. Well...there isn't one there. I see the space for it, but no socket, no wiring, nothing. Is my mustang special or is this normal for 23s?

EDIT: Just read that 2020+ don't have a glove box light...how about that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TallyMach1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
'20 Grand Cherokee Limited X, '22 Mach 1 HP
I'm pretty sure that's normal. My 22 Mach 1 doesn't have a glove box socket either. I guess Ford decided to get cheap...

OP
OP
Tank.

Tank.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure that's normal. My 22 Mach 1 doesn't have a glove box socket either. I guess Ford decided to get cheap...
I guess so, that's a weird one. I think I'd rather have a glove box light as opposed to the vanity mirror on the driver side. Just saying...If I had to choose.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
So many beans! You could easily fill up 4 or 5 cans. I hope that was well worth it to whoever was counting them.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
LOL it was probably a bulb supply thing when Covid started. Pop the new LED bulb in there and move on. Does the 2020+ still have the wiring to the glove box right? Once you put the bulb in it should turn on unless Ford didn't even put wiring to the glove box.

Ford's thinking: it was totally a cost savings measure... but sure lets pretend and tell the public that this change is more track ready without the glove box light bulb installed for added "weight reduction." 🤣

1708525290796.png

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I have a '21 and there is no glove box light. I think it was dropped in that model year.

As per the 21 order guide...

Glove Box.png

OP
OP
Tank.

Tank.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
LOL it was probably a bulb supply thing when Covid started. Pop the new LED bulb in there and move on. Does the 2020+ still have the wiring to the glove box right? Once you put the bulb in it should turn on unless Ford didn't even put wiring to the glove box.

Ford's thinking: it was totally a cost savings measure... but sure lets pretend and tell the public that this change is more track ready without the glove box light bulb installed for added "weight reduction." 🤣
Hah, there isn't anything there. No wiring, no socket, nothing. According to @KeyLime and other things I have read, the 2020+ didn't get them.

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I found this out today. Bought the diode dynamic kit from AM and when I went to do the glove box light , there wasn't even a socket to install a bulb. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, the map lights were a pain to get out of the 2 clips holding it to the roof. Absolutely insane the amount of force I needed to remove it. Wound up braking the plastic that goes into the clip. I now need a new dome light housing. Lol

OP
OP
Tank.

Tank.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I found this out today. Bought the diode dynamic kit from AM and when I went to do the glove box light , there wasn't even a socket to install a bulb. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, the map lights were a pain to get out of the 2 clips holding it to the roof. Absolutely insane the amount of force I needed to remove it. Wound up braking the plastic that goes into the clip. I now need a new dome light housing. Lol
Oh yeah, the map light, complete pain in the butt to get those clips out. I ended up using some long needle nose pliers to grab them.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
You're not missing much. My 2020 has one. I had to shim the switch pin else the light stays on all the time .🤦‍♂️

1710044845120.png

Sponsored

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You're not missing much. My 2020 has one. I had to shim the switch pin else the light stays on all the time .🤦‍♂️

1710044845120.png
Interesting. Might be why they did away with them. Enough people having this issue would cause a lot of dead battery complaints. Easier to remove the light altogether instead of fixing the issue.

OverC1ockeD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have a 2023 gt 401A, and was replacing the map lights with LEDs, so I thought I'd change out the glove box light while I'm at it. Well...there isn't one there. I see the space for it, but no socket, no wiring, nothing. Is my mustang special or is this normal for 23s?

That is really weird. They are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, huh?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Join the club. If careful and you know what you're doing by having watched pictures of how it looks inside first, it's possible to do carefully. After a couple take off/put back on repetitions mine broke too though.

Instead of buying a new housing I used velcro tape however. Glued two pieces into the housing, around where the broken clips were, and the same for the roof side. I have my airtag in there too. The housing is so light that this has been holding up fine for a couple of years now.

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Join the club. If careful and you know what you're doing by having watched pictures of how it looks inside first, it's possible to do carefully. After a couple take off/put back on repetitions mine broke too though.

Instead of buying a new housing I used velcro tape however. Glued two pieces into the housing, around where the broken clips were, and the same for the roof side. I have my airtag in there too. The housing is so light that this has been holding up fine for a couple of years now.
Mine actually went back to normal. It is tight all around and looks like it did before I started. The diode dynamic kit LEDs are awesome, btw. Super bright at night and the early morning when I open my door to get in for my drive to work.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Besides My A10 19 GT not having a glove box or a gear shifter panel light, which I really could care less about, my 19 only came with one wimpy ass horn, which I cannot take. I am sure their are a hundred different things we don't know which Ford deleted for cost savings.
Sponsored