Question About Upgraded Intercooler

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP
Looking for any real-world experience/input here. If I upgrade my intercooler (Mishimoto, Cobb, Injen, etc) will the car (a 2020 Ecoobost HPP auto) run stronger even without a tune? Any worries about it throwing codes from just the upgraded intercooler?

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Haven't heard of any codes being thrown... An upgraded intercooler will keep your charge temperature down and reduce the risk of the ECU slowing things down to protect your motor under load.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have a CVF street intercooler. The stock engine mapping pulls a lot of power out to account for _anything_ that isn't perfect. Reducing the intake temp is never a bad thing.

So, it's not that you'll make more power than other stock engines in optimum conditions (50 deg temps & no heat soak), but the power that you make in non-optimal conditions (real world) will be closer to it's maximum than it would be otherwise. Also, the engine will be less prone to spark knock, which can/will hurt the engine.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
it WILL run better, you will be able to play more, and hold power better.

after having oem out and my cpe FMIC, its crazy.

my car pulls and pulls, much better than oem. I was hesitant, but glad I did it.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Depending what you want to do with your car you may want to get a race intercooler rather than a street intercooler. I have a Vortech full race intercooler and before I started the tuning process there were no codes thrown. A lot of guys start with a street intercooler and then get into performance driving and then ditch the street intercooler for a race intercooler.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Depending what you want to do with your car you may want to get a race intercooler rather than a street intercooler. I have a Vortech full race intercooler and before I started the tuning process there were no codes thrown. A lot of guys start with a street intercooler and then get into performance driving and then ditch the street intercooler for a race intercooler.
this is true, but if you are like me, and really just DD it all summer long. the smaller front mount intercooler works just fine. I may go to the 1/4 mile strip one day with friends, but that is like once a year thing if I do, and not something to concern myself over wanting a larger IC.

a lot of the guys here, do auto cross, they need the larger IC, but for DD. I feel mine is adequate. he does prove a point, figure out what you want to do, its like a 100-200 dollar difference, not much really.

OP
OP
shinoda

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input :)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you won't lose performance going to a IC, but you will be able to enjoy your power more. just think of it as the only true mod, that the car can really benefit from.

OP
OP
shinoda

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
you won't lose performance going to a IC, but you will be able to enjoy your power more. just think of it as the only true mod, that the car can really benefit from.
Seems like the upgrade is a little bit of a straight up old school hot rodding move 😎

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like the upgrade is a little bit of a straight up old school hot rodding move 😎
I mean, the hot air needs cooled, can't have enough cooling before it goes into engine. more the better!. once you put your hands on the stock IC, you'll see how bad it was.

hey here you go. mishimoto, they provide original size, and theirs, and testing etc.

part 1
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2015/01/the-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler-part-1-stock-cooler/

part 2
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...ost-intercooler-part-2-prototype-fabrication/

I can't find part 3.

but here's part 4
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...atedposts_origin=2570&relatedposts_position=1

part 5 (testing)
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...rt-5-finished-product-and-final-testing-data/

below is a pic of what I have, CPE vs oem. (someone else's photo) but I like it. mishimoto is prob similar size. as they both utilize stock area.

8587-1479782490-ad67b5eb34ccf95cc4f19631ea7e99ea.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 1.35.49 PM.png

you being a tuned ecboost (HPP) you will even see larger benefits, this is from stock tune. I am Ford perf tune, same as you basically, and my car really likes the cold air.
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 1.37.22 PM.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A large difference is oem is tube and fin, aftermarket is bar and plate. google says bar and plate is superior in terms of efficiency cooling then add the larger size, more rows etc.. almost double the cooling in size alone before bar/plate factor

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I have the CVF car runs 10 times better! I also removed the AGS (active grill shutters) wanted max cooling all the time wasn't worried about fuel mpg.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have the CVF car runs 10 times better! I also removed the AGS (active grill shutters) wanted max cooling all the time wasn't worried about fuel mpg.
he doesn't have shutters, my car didn't come with them either. (thank you block warmer) if your car has a block warmer option $100 you can simply unplug it and remove it from engine bay, it nulls grille shutters from factory. but HPP doesn't have them either. in future if I ever order a stand, im ordering the block warmer feature, because thats why my car didn't have AGS. and it would be worth it to not have to remove it. imo

but I bet it definitely is worth while.

OP
OP
shinoda

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the added info guys.... I've had my eye on the Mishimoto all week, I think that might be the move. Will probably change out the grille at the same time while the front bumper cover is off....more money haha 😅

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the added info guys.... I've had my eye on the Mishimoto all week, I think that might be the move. Will probably change out the grille at the same time while the front bumper cover is off....more money haha 😅
I wouldn't. they are stupid expensive, cpe/cvfab/any others offer same exact FMIC location, (I think CPE) is actually the largest front mount intercooler. and I snagged it for 285. not sure what they are going for now.
Sponsored