Sponsored

No driving a manual does not make you smarter, more skilled, a better driver or more of a car guy.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
When I bought my 2018 in July, I knew the MT82's were having issues. No way I'd buy into that. Even if they were perfect, I'd still have bought the A10 because it's much quicker. I am quite good at driving manuals, but half second in the quarter I can't ignore. Not a fan of Chinese parts in my car either. My other car is a big block four speed. The A10 is a great advancement for performance.
Sponsored

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I work in LA most of my coworkers drive volts and bs like that, super techy fucking nerds... I am in the technical dept and my favorite part of the morning is driving through the parking garage and setting off all their bullshit alarms.. the other morning it was 4, that’s a new record for me :clap:

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Driving a manual definitely doesn't make you any smarter. I know plenty of dumbasses that drive manuals. lol

It does require more skill to drive a manual. Anybody can get in an auto mustang, put launch control on and mash the gas pedal. All you have to do is steer. One of the reasons drag racers have used auto is because they are so consistent. Why are they so consistent? Because it takes the driver of the of the equation and leaves the work to the car. It's more about the car than the driver. A manual is the opposite. It's more about the skill of the driver and the performance of the car. Times are not as consistent because it's harder to duplicate the driver skill required to row through all the gears and launch the car properly. It's pretty obvious that it takes more skill for a manual driver to get the best performance out of a car. That applies to drag strips or road courses. Driving around town it doesn't really matter especially when in traffic that auto might be the better choice for many.

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Driving a manual definitely doesn't make you any smarter. I know plenty of dumbasses that drive manuals. lol

It does require more skill to drive a manual. Anybody can get in an auto mustang, put launch control on and mash the gas pedal. All you have to do is steer. One of the reasons drag racers have used auto is because they are so consistent. Why are they so consistent? Because it takes the driver of the of the equation and leaves the work to the car. It's more about the car than the driver. A manual is the opposite. It's more about the skill of the driver and the performance of the car. Times are not as consistent because it's harder to duplicate the driver skill required to row through all the gears and launch the car properly. It's pretty obvious that it takes more skill for a manual driver to get the best performance out of a car. That applies to drag strips or road courses. Driving around town it doesn't really matter especially when in traffic that auto might be the better choice for many.
To much logic for this thread.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I work in LA most of my coworkers drive volts and bs like that, super techy fucking nerds... I am in the technical dept and my favorite part of the morning is driving through the parking garage and setting off all their bullshit alarms.. the other morning it was 4, that’s a new record for me :clap:
My Techy nerd son drives a 2013 GT500 he bought 6 years ago after graduating Engineering (electrical) school. And just was hired on at GM to work on their infotainment systems.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My Techy nerd son drives a 2013 GT500 he bought 6 years ago after graduating Engineering (electrical) school. And just was hired on at GM to work on their infotainment systems.
Drives a GT500 into the GM parking lot, you sir raised a hell of a kid!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Drives a GT500 into the GM parking lot
Don't know which is worse. At least GM and Ford are both US based brands. My son took his engineering PhD to Dearborn and his DD is a first year Yaris his wife had when they met.

Ford parking lots seem to be half full with equal numbers of Mustangs or Escapes bought buy young new employees depending on marital status.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
Manny? Auto? Crossovers? Meh.

I like red cars and blue cars...

DSC_1436x.JPG

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
The issue is the assertion that simply driving a manual makes you better at all aspects of driving.
Yeah, unfortunately that isn't the case. I'm talking about the skill required to operate the car. That has nothing to do with your decision making skills or lack of.... People make the same poor decisions when driving regardless of their transmission. Maybe we should say a better operator rather than driver.

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
40 pages into this, and apparently driving a manual irritates those who don't.

smh

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
40 pages into this, and apparently driving a manual irritates those who don't.

smh
With the same lame dog & branch, crossing a bridge :computerrage:
Sponsored