No drill GT500 spoiler ?

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Has anyone installed a spoiler/gt500 spoiler (the one with optional gurney flap) with just 3m tape?

My GT came with the spoiler delete and don't trust myself at all to drill holes since my last mustang had the factory spoiler I just removed it and bolted in a new one but this time now that I have to actually drill the holes I think I'll pass.

Read another post on here where someone suggested 3m tape on any part of the spoiler that makes contact with the paint as well as 3m adhesive promoter so it doesn't embed itself into the paint for easier removal if the time ever comes.

Has anyone used just 3m double sided tape for a spoiler? How has it held up over time? I know 3m tape is strong enough to hold it down compare to the low amount of force being pushed against it while driving just want to see if anyone has had any problems with their experience
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I highly doubt that it would stay. Flap says track only as it puts a lot of downforce. Maybe if you dont plan on going over 30mph ever. I just recieved my gt500 spoiler from ford and it came with a giant template for holes I believe. I didnt open up the paper n check as I already have the pp1 spolier but I can check n see what it looks like n post a pic. Pretty sure I wont bee needing it.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Lethal Performance will give you the FORD OEM drilling template for the spoiler in a digital format. I ran down my nearest Kinko's and they printed it out for 7$ Full-Scale. Template is VERY easy to follow.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Has anyone installed a spoiler/gt500 spoiler (the one with optional gurney flap) with just 3m tape?

My GT came with the spoiler delete and don't trust myself at all to drill holes since my last mustang had the factory spoiler I just removed it and bolted in a new one but this time now that I have to actually drill the holes I think I'll pass.

Read another post on here where someone suggested 3m tape on any part of the spoiler that makes contact with the paint as well as 3m adhesive promoter so it doesn't embed itself into the paint for easier removal if the time ever comes.

Has anyone used just 3m double sided tape for a spoiler? How has it held up over time? I know 3m tape is strong enough to hold it down compare to the low amount of force being pushed against it while driving just want to see if anyone has had any problems with their experience
It won't stay without hardware. It might initially hold for some time, but dirt and water will compromise the 3M over time and eventually it will fly off which will cause more damage than you could do to your car with the template. If you don't think you have the know how, pay a professional or just pass on having the spoiler.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
RTR has a stick on. Check theirs out

Sponsored

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
Some smaller spoilers and lips come with adhesive tape only, mostly "factory" replacement looking ones.
Personally, i would not trust a big wing, or the new GT350/500 ones with just adhesive.
I imagine they (or even the GT-PP raised wing/spoiler) create a decent amount of drag at 155mph for just the small area to be glued down.
Contrary, they are supposed to create downforce, so they dont "lift" or "peel" on the adhesive but force themself onto the trunk, that peel would be exclusively cause by drag, washing, handling, handcuffing people to it or even pulling on it.

Saulmoreno7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Base Modal
I highly doubt that it would stay. Flap says track only as it puts a lot of downforce. Maybe if you dont plan on going over 30mph ever. I just recieved my gt500 spoiler from ford and it came with a giant template for holes I believe. I didnt open up the paper n check as I already have the pp1 spolier but I can check n see what it looks like n post a pic. Pretty sure I wont bee needing it.
Is there any chance you still have the template?

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Is there any chance you still have the template?
Pretty sure it’s in the box. I’ll be back from vacation Wednesday night n make sure. But I know I still have it