Sponsored

SSM 49318 - Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner or Guide

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI in case no one has seen it:

SSM 49318 states that if a 2011-2020 Coyote 5.0 is in for Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner or Guide - both parts must be replaced at the same time. So if your S550 5.0 has been in for this type of service, be sure you see BOTH parts on your work order.

A5D7A800-1474-44F8-BFA1-DBE6E34B7C6A.jpeg
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks. But have 2 questions about that issue: What exactly Ford calls the 'secondary' chain tensioner? I think both are equally important, so curious about that language, and which one is it (driver or passenger bank). And finally, in order to post that, it's pretty obvious there are issues with the tensioner/guides, which should never need replacing with proper maintenance. Why not freaking fix the issues instead???

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Thanks. But have 2 questions about that issue: What exactly Ford calls the 'secondary' chain tensioner? I think both are equally important, so curious about that language, and which one is it (driver or passenger bank). And finally, in order to post that, it's pretty obvious there are issues with the tensioner/guides, which should never need replacing with proper maintenance. Why not freaking fix the issues instead???
The secondary tensioner sits between the intake and exhaust cams in both P/D heads.
Its for the secondary chain which links the I/E cams as the exhaust cam drives the intake cam.
The part number listed is a new part to fix whatever issue has been determined.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's no issue, it's just a notice that you should replace both items as a pair if you need to do related work. Which is common sense IMO.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So our cars have FOUR tensioners then. Great. I thought the 2 super short cam chains didn't have any; just the cam to crankshaft main chains. And good to know that there are no inherent issues with them. Thanks guys.
Sponsored