shanethealmighty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello!

I currently have Nitto NT555 275/40r18 tires which have served me well while I was daily driving my Mustang with a few track events per year. I no longer commute with my Mustang and am looking to up the amount of events I attend. I am split between Nitto NT01 or NT05 tires. I still drive my car around town but it is not logging the miles it used to. Would NT01s be overkill if they aren't on a dedicated set of track wheels?

Also as a side question, I am considering going down a size to 275/35r18 tires which might add a shift to my local track. Any thoughts on the affects on gearing and handling? Video and mods below.

Thanks!

[ame]
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Two different tires for two different things, drag and road course. I may be biased, but I really love the Toyota R888's. they are not expensive and have great grip and surprising straight line traction for a road course tire.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I'll be at Waterford Hills this Sunday for the last OTD of the year. You?

I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I've been pretty happy with the available grip and for the most part the wear.

OP
OP
shanethealmighty

shanethealmighty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'll be at Waterford Hills this Sunday for the last OTD of the year. You?

I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I've been pretty happy with the available grip and for the most part the wear.
Unfortunately, I have to be at a wedding, or I would be there for sure. I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on a different car and really liked them for daily driving since they were quiet and still rode very nice. I'd consider them again for sure. I was really leaning towards NT05s hoping for some more grip, but still being road capable. I'm not sure how much better they would be than Super Sports though.

OP
OP
shanethealmighty

shanethealmighty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Two different tires for two different things, drag and road course. I may be biased, but I really love the Toyota R888's. they are not expensive and have great grip and surprising straight line traction for a road course tire.
I believe the compound for NT01s is the same or very similar to R888s since they are both Toyo companies. Also I'm talking normal NT05s, not the drag radials.

Sponsored

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The grip level of the NT05's is so low, but they last forever. If you need a tire that last i would suggest the Bridgestone RE-11

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
I love the NT01 for the track. But they will not be acceptable for the street. They don't take long to wear out the tread pattern to a slick. They make a surprising amount of noise for what little tread they do have.

The latest NT05 looks very promising. It appears to be positioned to fight with the RS3, Star Spec, RE71... I'm going to give the NT05 a try as I've been so impressed with the NT01 on track. They never heat cycle out. I don't find them to get overly greasy after a few laps and give good grip right out of the box.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Two different tires for two different things, drag and road course.
While they are two different tires for two different things, it's not drag and road course. You're thinking of the NT05Rs which yes they are drag radials.

Both the NT01 and NT05 are road course tires, although quite different. One is a 200TW street tire, the other is an R compound race tire.

If you do any type of street diving, stick with the NT05s. The 01s will wear out extremely fast comparatively and will do awful in any type of wet driving. The 05s do pretty damn well on a road course, and are more predictable (as any other street tire) compared to an R compound.

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check out Nexan nfera Sur4, they are 200aa, reasonably priced and good grip for the street and track. I have had them for about 3k miles in 275 35 19 all around on my car and have really liked them so far.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
OEM tire sizes are:

235/50-18 = 27.25"
255/40-19 = 27.03"
275/40-19 = 27.66"

Your 275/40-18 is 26.66" and a 275/35-18 is 25.58".

I would stick with a 275/40-18 and wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, or go with the PSS, or NT01 -which I like A LOT more than the R888.

Sponsored
OP
OP
shanethealmighty

shanethealmighty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OEM tire sizes are:

235/50-18 = 27.25"
255/40-19 = 27.03"
275/40-19 = 27.66"

Your 275/40-18 is 26.66" and a 275/35-18 is 25.58".

I would stick with a 275/40-18 and wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, or go with the PSS, or NT01 -which I like A LOT more than the R888.
I'm not really all that concerned with the stock tire size. My car is lowered, so the smaller tires wouldn't look weird and it would get me another half inch lower to the ground. As far as gearing goes, I have a 3.55 diff so it would add 1 shift just over the hill at Waterford and probably max my top speed out around 145 or so for the bigger tracks. I am mostly wondering if the difference in handling is noticeable because I want more grip.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I am daily driving on my NT05s here in CA where it never rains. They seem to last as long or longer than the summer Pirelli P Zeros.

I am pleased with the NT05s for HPDEs but I don't have exeprience with other track tires yet so take my review with a grain of salt.

Running a 275/40R18 square setup.

OP
OP
shanethealmighty

shanethealmighty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am daily driving on my NT05s here in CA where it never rains. They seem to last as long or longer than the summer Pirelli P Zeros.

I am pleased with the NT05s for HPDEs but I don't have exeprience with other track tires yet so take my review with a grain of salt.

Running a 275/40R18 square setup.
Do you ever feel your sidewall flexing and wish they were 35 series? Or do you hit a pothole and thank god you have the 40 series? Thanks for the feedback on the NT05s! I think that is the direction I am heading.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Do you ever feel your sidewall flexing and wish they were 35 series? Or do you hit a pothole and thank god you have the 40 series? Thanks for the feedback on the NT05s! I think that is the direction I am heading.
To be 100% honest I don't have enough tire and driving experience to tell whether or not my sidewall is flexing too much. And I never really worry about my wheel after hitting a pot hole. I know I have enough sidewall to protect me.

I know a 35 series wouldn't look right on an 18" rim unless I was running 295 or 305mm tires.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Bridgestone RE-11 if your not after the best lap times possible. They are good on the street last a while and have good grip.
Sponsored