JoeyRamone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Skoda VRS
Hello folks, be gentle its my first post on here 😊

I am currently looking into getting a Mustang, need to scratch that V8 thing before its too late, I have been looking at a new GT or possibly a used Bullet, but I would like an auto which rules out the Bullet option

So, my first question, what is the auto box like? I’ve had a Jag auto and currently have a Skoda VRS DSG but have seen some criticism online regarding the Ford 10 speed box. Planning to see if I can test drive one in the next few weeks now that the dealerships are open, I see that Gates in Stevenage have some new ones coming in

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I beleive the 10 speed is one of the best auto boxes they have ever made. The 6 wasn't half as good.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The age old question ....

The only way you can tell is to drive it and see if you like it. Personally I love it.

OP
OP

JoeyRamone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Skoda VRS
The age old question ....

The only way you can tell is to drive it and see if you like it. Personally I love it.
Yes planning to do just that, btw I had an Evora IPS now have an Exige

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yes planning to do just that, btw I had an Evora IPS now have an Exige
A man of fine judgement !

The auto box in the Mustang is much less fussy than the Evora. The Lotus is always eager, which is fine if you want it that way in sport mode, but for general driving it is too keen to change down all the time.

Evora feels quicker off the line (although there is little in it) but Mustang pulls harder for longer. Evora / Exige would leave the Mustang for dead on a twisty road, but as an everyday driver the Mustang is way better and far more practical. Mustang is a true GT car. Make sure you get Magneride as without it you will get frustrated waiting for the car suspension to catch up on bumpy B roads, compared to any Lotus. With Magneride the handling is much more controlled, but also really comfortable. Lotus is far more planted at the rear even with an open diff. Even the V8 is way more economical than the Lotus V6. I get 27mpg in general and have managed 34mpg on a motorway run, my Evora is 5mpg worse at both.

Very different cars but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JoeyRamone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Skoda VRS
Thanks for the comments Gregs24, so have also seen online that the Magneride is worth going for

Any other folk think the same? The GT will be my daily driver but not high mileage

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have MR but as it's the only Mustang I have lived with, it's hard to give an unbiased opinion.

Yes, I drove a non MR car on a test drive, but I wouldn't class that as long enough to determine that the non MR car was crap in comparison - likewise in reverse for someone who is trying to justify not buying a MR car.

IMHO only trust the opinion of someone who has owned and lived with both options for a reasonable period of time :like:

Having said that and for what it's worth, I took my bro out for a drive in the mustang and he was 'very' surprised how planted it felt, commenting that it rode nothing like he expected it to (my default mode is sport+). I know that's very subjective but for what its worth, we are typically a family of BMW drivers, mostly higher end M sports (what he is driving now) and the odd M car.

WD :like:

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
How does the A10 feel "seat of the pants" compared to the A6? I'm just wondering if it feels like any more torque off the line or basically the same.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I agree with the 'you need to take them both (auto/manual) for test drives'
Neither are bad, personally having come from ZF 8 speeds and BMW M DCT's I found the A10 a little lacking, the A6 IMO is the bottom of the pile but again some get along with it but personally I wouldn't buy either automatic and I have had DCT/autos for many many years so i am not some kind of manual purist by any stretch.

The manual I actually really like the throw and the feel, the clutch pedal is a little long and heavy but i have adapted to that and find it far nicer than for example BMW M manuals.

MR v Non MR, I had a loaner MR GT for over a week as my new one had a/c issues when i went to collect it. Prior to that I had driven both back to back, for me I would have it if it was on the right car, particularly if buying used but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as i didn't feel it offered the level of improvement some claim., for me. When i went to collect mine when fixed I drove 180 miles to the dealer in the MR GT and 180 miles back in my non MR GT, couldn't tell the difference. Maybe on track it offers more.

I dont think any combo is a 'bad' combo though depend what you get on with and what you dont.
Sponsored