Sponsored

New whipple install

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Finally saved enough to pull the trigger on the stage 1 complete whipple kit with those awesome beefcake discounts.
I’ve read the install instructions on lethals website twice, unfortunately they are from 2015 so I think the tune process may be a bit out of date based on what I read and their use of the odb tuner. Surprised with how many folks have it there isn’t one of those great video diy videos but hoping the instructions that come with provide more of those updates.
Install looks pretty straight forward, I’ll post if I have any questions appreciate the help!!
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The tomahawk is super easy to use and I prefer it over the laptop/flare; just be sure to request the cal as soon as you get your serial number.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The tomahawk is super easy to use and I prefer it over the laptop/flare; just be sure to request the cal as soon as you get your serial number.
Sorry for my ignorance, I’m sure it’ll make more sense when everything arrives. What’s the tomahawk? I was under the understanding most people used the laptop flare.
And for serial number, is that what you send them off the top of you ECU?
I guess I’m just a little confused on the tune process. Thanks

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
With the 15-17 you used a laptop, canelope obd adapter, and flare software. It worked well, but you had to have a WiFi connection and the flare had to communitcare with the micro-motive website using an account.

On the 18+, the kit comes with a handheld device called tomahawk, no laptop required. Whipple sends you the calibration file. You save it to an included sd card, pop it in the tomahawk, plug it in, and flash. It only takes 3-4 minutes. The tomahawk can also read error codes, perform crank relearn, and log data to the sd card. It’s capable of more and whipple is supposed to further increase capabilities with software updates.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
With the 15-17 you used a laptop, canelope obd adapter, and flare software. It worked well, but you had to have a WiFi connection and the flare had to communitcare with the micro-motive website using an account.

On the 18+, the kit comes with a handheld device called tomahawk, no laptop required. Whipple sends you the calibration file. You save it to an included sd card, pop it in the tomahawk, plug it in, and flash. It only takes 3-4 minutes. The tomahawk can also read error codes, perform crank relearn, and log data to the sd card. It’s capable of more and whipple is supposed to further increase capabilities with software updates.
Oh okay that clears it up, I have a 15. Sounds like I need WiFi in my garage which could be a concern but I’ll just setup a mobile hotspot and connect that way. So with the flare tool, am I understanding correct that before I start install I’ll download my stock cal file, send it to them... and they’ll email back the whipple cal file. Which will be loaded to the car once install is complete prior to initial start up? Also, doesn’t the flare tool allow crank relearn as well? And does that need to be done after the initial start up? Or only if your throwing codes? Thanks I have a voicemail to whipple just waiting to hear back. Thanks for all your help!!!

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I don’t think whipple needs your stock file, as I think they pull it from ford based on your vin. They do need the blower serial number and your vin though. You can request it as soon as you receive your kit. I would suggest doing that because it can take them a day or 2 to get it for you and you won’t want to wait on that once the install is complete.

Personally, I’ve flashed mine before starting the install. If there are any issues flashing the car I want to know before tearing into the engine.

I believe you must to do a crank relearn upon initial restart after you reflash it and install the kit. It’s not always required on further cal updates though.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think whipple needs your stock file, as I think they pull it from ford based on your vin. They do need the blower serial number and your vin though. You can request it as soon as you receive your kit. I would suggest doing that because it can take them a day or 2 to get it for you and you won’t want to wait on that once the install is complete.

Personally, I’ve flashed mine before starting the install. If there are any issues flashing the car I want to know before tearing into the engine.

I believe you must to do a crank relearn upon initial restart after you reflash it and install the kit. It’s not always required on further cal updates though.
Oh wow that’s good advise. So you actually plugged your Obd in and downloaded the tune from the flare software to the car prior to starting install? I assume prior to releasing fuel pressure? Also I assume you don’t start the car under the new tune but rather just have it in ignition on during the download? Then once it’s sucessscul you unplug and go about install?
Thanks

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You are correct about how I did it. I mistakenly reflashed before realizing I was supposed to start the car to use up the fuel in the pressurized system. I went ahead and starrted it anyway with the pump unplugged and it actually worked. I would suggest running it with the pump unplugged, then flashing (pump still unplugged).

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct about how I did it. I mistakenly reflashed before realizing I was supposed to start the car to use up the fuel in the pressurized system. I went ahead and starrted it anyway with the pump unplugged and it actually worked. I would suggest running it with the pump unplugged, then flashing (pump still unplugged).
Haha that’s exactly why I asked. Yup agreed, unplug the fuel pump... start the car to depressurize... once it’s vacated and the car won’t turn over then flash, unplug and go about install. Then basically once your done with install you’ll put fluids in and start her up. Makes the back end easier. Thanks for the advise!!!

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also to confirm, whipples manual says while flashing the tune to have the key “ in the first position” not started. So I assume on our push starts that means just ignition on without he car running (ie: hit the start button without foot on clutch so just electrics come on)?

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Also to confirm, whipples manual says while flashing the tune to have the key “ in the first position” not started. So I assume on our push starts that means just ignition on without he car running (ie: hit the start button without foot on clutch so just electrics come on)?
This is correct.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll take any other install advice as well. I’ve read thru the install manual twice now... and it’s pretty long but straightforward.
Called whipple with a few questions and they mentioned a few common install problems. The o ring in the bypass they mentioned is a big one people mess up, I know I saw a thread on it. And general vacuum leaks. Also the o rings on the supercharger coming loose during setting it down.
I guess my only outstanding question is around the 80% on the tensioner, and if you have to re do it after the initial drive due to expansion of the belt?
Thanks

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have to readjust my tensioner yet, and I've got a couple thousand miles on it.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have to readjust my tensioner yet, and I've got a couple thousand miles on it.
Good to know, and you set it at about 80% on the tensioner initially?
Sponsored