Sponsored

New Undercarriage Shots of 2015 Mustang, with Production Valence and Exhaust

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score
Good. This puts to rest the long standing debate on here about whether fusion and mustang at FRAP is just some unrelated coincidence. Thank you for clearing it up. I suppose we can expect other shared tooling and processes besides IRS, that we do not yet know about?

I have to admit tho, this would make more sense to me if you hadn't already suggested s550 is a very heavily modified s197 and isn't cd4 based.
CD391 and S550 are very different platforms still. The shared processes weren't planned or developed that way per se. S550 development long before CD391 was planned to come to FRAP.
Sponsored

MYs197

CD391 and S550 are very different platforms still. The shared processes weren't planned or developed that way per se. S550 development long before CD391 was planned to come to FRAP.
You're the man Mr. P. Your info is very much appreciated by us all.

This is a question I has for a while. In addition to some shared design traits many of us feared there was even more common bones. Glad to hear the s550 and cd391 share little in common. Mustangs should remain as unique as possible in Ford's lineup.

OKCfan

That's good. Can you tell us how much % difference the s550 platform has from the s197? If you can place a figure on it.

Or how much stiffer the chassis is?

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
A plant cannot sustain on a low volume vehicle such as mustang. Overhead is way to high.
Agreed. There is no way the Mustang was ever thought to be sustainable as the only vehicle at the plant.

Sponsored

Tempus

Threads
Reaction score
Agreed. There is no way the Mustang was ever thought to be sustainable as the only vehicle at the plant.
Well the Mustang better be pick up its sales then. Mazda6 was ended at FRAP because it fell way short of the 100k units/yr target to make it profitable. I think they were building only like 40k or so units. I believe the Fusion supplemental production at FRAP is also adding about 100k units on a few shifts so right now they're looking at less than 200k units currently at FRAP in total. That's pretty small... altho the S550 might give that a little jolt. Also I know the Taurus/MKS are rumored to be going to FRAP too.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Well the Mustang better be pick up its sales then. Mazda6 was ended at FRAP because it fell way short of the 100k units/yr target to make it profitable. I think they were building only like 40k or so units. I believe the Fusion supplemental production at FRAP is also adding about 100k units on a few shifts so right now they're looking at less than 200k units currently at FRAP in total. That's pretty small... altho the S550 might give that a little jolt. Also I know the Taurus/MKS are rumored to be going to FRAP too.
If all Mustang production, domestic and export, is done at FRAP, that'll add units. Fusion sales are expected to continue going up in the next few years, so that also keeps the plant busy. Add in D-platform sedans and a possible Lincoln variant on any of those and you'll find enough to keep three shifts busy.

zerot

This is exactly why the Mustang is to be a world car with some global design language. 75k annual sales is not cutting it and can't be sustained profitably. You have the Fusion coming in to FRAP and on added shifts it's already pumping out more per month than the Mustang which has been built here for almost a decade now.

I hear a lot of people mention that going global is destroying the Mustang when in reality it's Ford's attempt to save it from being factored out of the balance sheet altogether if sales keep going like this.
Sponsored