New to the S550 world.. with a few questions

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
This week I joined the ranks of the S550 world. I’m enjoying it so far and I had a few questions that maybe y’all could shed some light on...

After reading through various threads here the questions I have aren’t anything that haven’t been discussed before...

My car has only one mod that I know of. Reso has been removed and some after market mufflers were put on out back. It’s a 2016 GT Premium..25k miles.

My car has the front end squeak after the car has been driven and warmed up. Seems to be a common problem unfortunately and what do you suggest would be the best remedy for it? Replacing the control arms with aftermarket could be an option. Would there be any problem outside of the noise annoyance if I just leave it alone?

I seem to have the cold engine surge problem which is annoying but not a real problem I guess.

I don’t suspect I have any evaporator core issues since it does blow cold... at least most of the time. Seems that there are periods were it’ll be not as cold then go back to being cold.. it clearly has Freon since it does blow cold.. maybe I just need to check the Freon level. 4 years doesn’t seem like a terribly long time to already need some.. and if it does, where did it go? Lol.. I wonder if it’s something electrical causing the compressor to cycle off and on unnecessarily if the level is full.

Anyhow, despite all of that I really like the car.. I have some plans for it such as some wheels, tint, and maybe lowering springs to get started.

E336D2E5-DD11-4AD8-9907-D946C4BEAA5C.jpeg
Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Grats on the ride! Wish I could give advice, but knock on wood, I don't have any of those problems so far.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Congrats on the car, looks nice.
If the AC blows cold then warm it may be a sign of the compressor being kicked off by the pressure switch. My truck was doing this when it got low. But the AC in my car is controled different and sometimes it is not blowing like I think it should but it is usually my preception and sometimes I've gotten it set up wrong. Took me a little bit to figure out the new system and hopefully that is your issue too.
Don't know about the squeak. I've had no issues. The Tint will help keep the car much cooler and take a load off the AC. That back window is a huge heat sink.
Have fun whatever you decide to do. I will say I love those wheels against the white.

OP
OP
SlowWhite

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
Congrats on the car, looks nice.
If the AC blows cold then warm it may be a sign of the compressor being kicked off by the pressure switch. My truck was doing this when it got low. But the AC in my car is controled different and sometimes it is not blowing like I think it should but it is usually my preception and sometimes I've gotten it set up wrong. Took me a little bit to figure out the new system and hopefully that is your issue too.
Don't know about the squeak. I've had no issues. The Tint will help keep the car much cooler and take a load off the AC. That back window is a huge heat sink.
Have fun whatever you decide to do. I will say I love those wheels against the white.
well on my way to work yesterday evening it was blowing cold then it seemed like for a brief few moments the temp of the air warmed up suddenly then it went back to go blowing cold.. which that ac cycling switch could be the problem.. I’d be glad to change that if it’s the cuprit. Guess I’ll need to check the level of Freon it has now then go from there. Living in Louisiana, window tint is definitely a must.

the squeak comes in after ive driven it and I make it to work and try to creep over speed bumps in the parking lot. The sounds reminds of ya the steering of a late 90s F150 lol. Squeak and creak like an old man getting out bed in the morning. Some older threads have said that after they brought their car to the dealer and they were told they needed new control arms. If that’s the case then a set of aftermarket ones may be in my future.

Anyhow I’ll have to do some more checking into on the AC. If I can get lucky and not need a evap core I’ll be happy. I only have 25k miles on it but it’s passed it’s 3/36k window of warranty from the age.

are CC plates pretty much required with any level of lowering? I wanna say I read that camber isn’t adjustable with the stock equipment so whatever angle of camber it has is that you’ll have to live with it if you don’t have CC plates.

I like the stock wheels a lot but they’re just so small lol. I have some SVE R350 wheels in mind for it.. 10s front and rear in liquid graphite ..

the 18-up digital cluster is sooo tempting.. it won’t make it any faster or improve its outer looks but damn it looks so cool...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My car has the front end squeak after the car has been driven and warmed up. Seems to be a common problem unfortunately and what do you suggest would be the best remedy for it? Replacing the control arms with aftermarket could be an option. Would there be any problem outside of the noise annoyance if I just leave it alone?
Hi Matt. First off, welcome and congrats on a beautiful Mustang. I had those wheels on my RR 15' EB and they do look great on white.

I'm not sure what leads you to believe that your squeak is a common problem. I'm on my second S550 and haven't really heard about this as an issue. Regardless, noises of any kind in your suspension, especially your front suspension should never be "left along". Please have it checked out.

I seem to have the cold engine surge problem which is annoying but not a real problem I guess.
It may not be annoying but it shouldn't be happening. Issues like this usually do not get better. Fixing it now could save you a lot of $$$ later.

I don’t suspect I have any evaporator core issues since it does blow cold... at least most of the time.
Many 16's had the evaporator issue so do not be to quick to dismiss it. It could also be something else like Deckard said. Once again you need to get this addressed. A/C repairs are costly and you didn't mention having a warranty.

Look, your car is 5/6 years old and is presenting you with some "minor" issues. Get them checked out before they become major issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlowWhite

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
Hi Matt. First off, welcome and congrats on a beautiful Mustang. I had those wheels on my RR 15' EB and they do look great on white.

I'm not sure what leads you to believe that your squeak is a common problem. I'm on my second S550 and haven't really heard about this as an issue. Regardless, noises of any kind in your suspension, especially your front suspension should never be "left along". Please have it checked out.

It may not be annoying but it shouldn't be happening. Issues like this usually do not get better. Fixing it now could save you a lot of $$$ later.

Many 16's had the evaporator issue so do not be to quick to dismiss it. It could also be something else like Deckard said. Once again you need to get this addressed. A/C repairs are costly and you didn't mention having a warranty.

Look, your car is 5/6 years old and is presenting you with some "minor" issues. Get them checked out before they become major issues.

Well after doing some searching on the forum and others.. the the surge while the engine is cold happens to a lot of people. Once the engine is up to temp it goes away. No engine lights or anything occurs during that small window of it warming up..

The steering squeak happens after it’s been driven a little bit

I’ll investigate more once I’m off tomorrow.. I’ll check the Freon level to see if it’s where it needs to be then from there..

I guess at least I don’t seem to have the engine “tick” that many have.... yet lol

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The a/c on my wife's '14 fusion did that. It was diagnosed as a bad condenser which was replaced when under warranty. No issue since.
Auto a/c is not that hard to fix yourself if you're handy. Some specialized tools are needed though. The only a/c repair that scares me is the evaporator but only because the entire dash has to come out to replace it.
The first thing to check is the refrigerant level.
Also check, when it feels like it's blowing warm, is if both the driver and passenger vents are blowing warm. Sometimes the vent switching controls can do odd things.

OP
OP
SlowWhite

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
I picked up this car from a Dodge dealer.. car fax showed that they’ve had it since December so.. it’s been sitting for quite a few months.. wonder if some of these quirks were caused by months of sitting parked on a lot...

It’s been about 2.5 years since I’ve daily drove a Mustang. It’s been a familiar yet unfamiliar experience returning back to the pony life..

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Could the ac issue maybe be a problem with the temp the ac is set at. Sounds like it’s turning on and off trying to maintain the temperature. I know I can set mine to 65 and still be hot because the ac doesn’t blow at full blast. Try switching the temp all the way down to lo and the fan all the way up and take it for a drive if all is good it should blow ice cold the whole time.

SoFla2016PP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6
Congrats! I have a 2016 as well with about 30k miles. Check under the rear window to see if that splitting issue is there (see the other thread splitting under the rear window). I think a few of us are trying to get that corrected now. These cars are quite temperamental, but when you floor it you forget about all that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SlowWhite

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
Could the ac issue maybe be a problem with the temp the ac is set at. Sounds like it’s turning on and off trying to maintain the temperature. I know I can set mine to 65 and still be hot because the ac doesn’t blow at full blast. Try switching the temp all the way down to lo and the fan all the way up and take it for a drive if all is good it should blow ice cold the whole time.
I did that when I got in the car to come into work for the night.. it was at about 5pm so it was still plenty hot outside... seemed to work okay the whole 40 mile ride to work... knock on wood lol

OP
OP
SlowWhite

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
Seems like my AC is trucking along fine.. maybe it was a flook or imagined it..

also my suspension squeak is from the driverside sway bar end link.. already ordered a replacement...
Sponsored