Sponsored

New Owner Here

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert Premium "Grabber Blue"
To all the good folks here. I just bought a 2017 Gt Premium Vert after many years owning Miatas. I did have a 1988 Gt, and have to say how much tighter the new car is compared to old! Wow! I do have an important question- Is your car very rusty underneath?

I just got the car home and rotated tires, checked fluids, changed oil, etc. This is a normal procedure when I buy a used car. My issue is the incredible amount of rust under this car. All the "untreated" surfaces are rusted like a 10 year old car! Is this normal for Mustangs? I suspect that this car may have been a flood victim. If so, I will be returning this to the dealer. Any light you can shed on this is appreciated. TIA. Due to my new status, I don't think the pictures will show.

Differential
350664[/ATTACH]']']']']
R9VFgXf.jpg
58TC1Xx.jpg
2APu5Yu.jpg
V1SRHsw.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't you run a carfax against the car ?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
No pics available. Try linking through imgur.com. Photobucket sux!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Didn't you run a carfax against the car ?
Yes, I just did my own CarFax search. It only shows a couple oil changes and emissions inspections. I will try to get pics up shortly. It appears as if Google pics doesn't work here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so pics are here. Kind of a pain. It kept doubling and tripling them. I looked for a how-to, but didn't find it.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
According to the carfax where was the car during its first ownership? How many miles? If that's a 40K car from a snow state that uses lots of salt and driven year around and never cleaned that may be normal. If however its a southern car and has 6K on it I say something rotten smells in Denmark. My 17 has 5700 on it and the rotors look nothing like that. however I am pretty certain the previous owner did not winter drive it daily. As well my exhaust (what there was of it since it was modified by the previous owner with X-pipe and axle backs) components that are stock don't have that much corrosion at all. Drive shaft is not anywhere near as corroded as that either. As for the diff housing mine is an auto and has an aluminum housing unlike the stick shift cars so I cannot make a compare.

Car fax isn't fool proof. My first Mustang was wrecked in spite of the Car Fax showing it as a clean 1 owner. Found the repair receipt from the autobody shop in the dash with the books on the car after I took delivery. The dealer had removed all paperwork (many do) from the dash while it was on the lot and put it all back in upon delivery. Since then I don;'t buy a car without seeing all the dash contents held by the dealer prior to purchase as well as Carfax. I am very picky about the state a car was owned in as well. Some states have roads that are in worse condition the the moon surface. Beats a car to death.

I'd return it personally. It looks a lot heavier than routine corrosion. If it was flood damaged you should be able to lift the carpet out and see evidence in the rear foot pans and front floor pans. There would also likely be debris caught in springs or on bolts and soforth in the undercarriage. At least that is my opinion.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
According to the carfax where was the car during its first ownership? How many miles? If that's a 40K car from a snow state that uses lots of salt and driven year around and never cleaned that may be normal. If however its a southern car and has 6K on it I say something rotten smells in Denmark. My 17 has 5700 on it and the rotors look nothing like that. however I am pretty certain the previous owner did not winter drive it daily. As well my exhaust (what there was of it since it was modified by the previous owner with X-pipe and axle backs) components that are stock don't have that much corrosion at all. Drive shaft is not anywhere near as corroded as that either. As for the diff housing mine is an auto and has an aluminum housing unlike the stick shift cars so I cannot make a compare.

Car fax isn't fool proof. My first Mustang was wrecked in spite of the Car Fax showing it as a clean 1 owner. Found the repair receipt from the autobody shop in the dash with the books on the car after I took delivery. The dealer had removed all paperwork (many do) from the dash while it was on the lot and put it all back in upon delivery. Since then I don;'t buy a car without seeing all the dash contents held by the dealer prior to purchase as well as Carfax. I am very picky about the state a car was owned in as well. Some states have roads that are in worse condition the the moon surface. Beats a car to death.

I'd return it personally. It looks a lot heavier than routine corrosion. If it was flood damaged you should be able to lift the carpet out and see evidence in the rear foot pans and front floor pans. There would also likely be debris caught in springs or on bolts and soforth in the undercarriage. At least that is my opinion.
Ugstang, Thanks for the insight. The car has 14K on her, and originally came from PA. It appears it may have only about 500 Miles put on it all last year. The odd thing is that not everything shows evidence of water immersion. The alternator, starter, and a majority of the bolts underneath are pristine. Then you see the diff, driveshaft, rotors, steering shaft, water pump shaft, all heavily rusted. I just don't get it, and I am a true veteran of cars. Was a mechanic (a good one), service manager, Toolman, and now sell repair equipment. I am truly baffled. I will pull carpet back tomorrow. I didn't want to get too crazy into this if it was "normal", if you catch my drift.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
PA...hmmm. I'd be more inclined then to believe that indicates that the car was stored outdoors, saw year round driving and plenty of salt. Additionally if it were parked over grass or dirt area rather than on pavement/concrete/gravel that can also contribute to accelerated (more than expected given the age is what I mean) corrosion according to some old school mechanics like my friend's dad who was a retired Ford Service Manager (RIP Mr. C). My only real concern would be the diff housing and DS. As long as that it just heavy surface rust you could sand/wirebrush that and paint it. The DS could be replaced as speed shops have them lying around everywhere. The exhaust? Well who really ever sticks with the stock exhaust? The other areas like the unibody from what little is visible all look good.

The question is if you are okay with it. Sorry you had to find this after the fact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So, as a follow up. I pulled back carpet and found exactly no evidence of a flood job. The car is pristine except for what I have noted here. It is just so weird to see. This random rust. My guess is outside or "damp" storage for a long time with zero activity. I am relieved, as I can keep the car now. I really like it, and got a great deal on a rare color car. Thanks for the insight.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My 9 year old Subaru that I drive all year in Quebec (plenty of snow and salt) doesn’t look that bad!

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Thats normal. Dont worry about it my car is a 2016 GT bought it brand new ive driven the car under the rain probably no more then 5 times it only has 12,000miles and it looks the same as yours.
I dont even live near the ocean in fact i live 3200feet above sea level.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
That had to have been driven in salt/moisture and then put away without being touched for months. Sorry, man.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I plan on cleaning off what I can
Then paint, and/or hit with penetrating oil all I can. Shouldn't be a problem after that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
So, as a follow up. I pulled back carpet and found exactly no evidence of a flood job. The car is pristine except for what I have noted here. It is just so weird to see. This random rust. My guess is outside or "damp" storage for a long time with zero activity. I am relieved, as I can keep the car now. I really like it, and got a great deal on a rare color car. Thanks for the insight.
I'd sand/sand-blast/rust-remove those parts, then prime & paint them.

If for no other reason than something to do, and peace of mind.
Sponsored