Sponsored

New member here.

ssmuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New one soon
Been stalking this forum for almost a year now and all I can say is wow you guys have a great forum here. My wife has given me the approval to buy a new car by the end of the year. So with her blessing I have been researching which next car I would like to purchase. My problem is I am a true car guy in the sense that I love all brands of cars so purchasing a new one can be somewhat daunting. My Wife would say I am annoying and can't stand to hear about any more cars. I have narrowed it down to the S550 GT Premium but still have some reservations since this will be a part time family car. Family loves to take road trips and the Honda Pilot has 114K miles and counting so would like to pass some miles over to a fun car. From what I can tell the back seat might be cramped but still has good room for small adults/kids. Would anyone say otherwise and lean towards something else? I am not to interested in the magneride and active exhaust since I would like to change those out with aftermarket parts. I checked out Brandon Ford in Tampa and Koons since my local dealers are asking $34K for a GT Prem with no add ons. Looking forward to any questions or comments.
Sponsored

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
The back seat would not be comfortable for most adults (most teenagers for that matter). Especially on a long road trip. Mustangs really aren't good family cars, in my opinion. It's a great car for you and your wife to take on a road trip.

If you wait until the 2019 start arriving at the dealers, you can probably get an incredible deal on a 2018. I would try to play 2 or 3 dealer's against each other to drive the price down. Make sure you get any offer they make in writing.

OP
OP

ssmuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New one soon
Usually when we travel we drive 2-4 hours then stop for gas or to site see something. I really like the power of a scat pack charger but dodge build quality and interior seems lacking. Unless things have changed I wouldn't trust buying one. Lexus IS350 was another top choice picks but the wife hates the looks. The BMW 335 or 435 was an option but the cost is over my budget unless I buy used. Not sure BMW is the best option for used cars.

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
What about the Cadillac CTS-V? I have a coworker who whose husband has a CTS-V Wagon that runs 10's in the quarter.

OP
OP

ssmuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New one soon
Looking for under $35K. Would consider used but would like a factory warranty so that limits either by miles or by years.

Sponsored

BCB06GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
I wouldn't put anyone except a real small child in the back for road trips or anything more than 30 minutes. I have had Mustang since 1997. With that said, if we are talking 4 roads trips a year, then rent a car for them. I would not buy a car for 4 trips out of the year. Rent a family sedan cheap: better gas mileage, no mileage on your Mustang. Then enjoy YOUR car all year long.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Family road trips in the Mustang? Yeah that will work if your "family" has a population of 2. The back seat in the Mustang is good for storing your sunshade, backpack, or a small dog or 2. That's it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Been stalking this forum for almost a year now and all I can say is wow you guys have a great forum here. My wife has given me the approval to buy a new car by the end of the year. So with her blessing I have been researching which next car I would like to purchase. My problem is I am a true car guy in the sense that I love all brands of cars so purchasing a new one can be somewhat daunting. My Wife would say I am annoying and can't stand to hear about any more cars. I have narrowed it down to the S550 GT Premium but still have some reservations since this will be a part time family car. Family loves to take road trips and the Honda Pilot has 114K miles and counting so would like to pass some miles over to a fun car. From what I can tell the back seat might be cramped but still has good room for small adults/kids. Would anyone say otherwise and lean towards something else? I am not to interested in the magneride and active exhaust since I would like to change those out with aftermarket parts. I checked out Brandon Ford in Tampa and Koons since my local dealers are asking $34K for a GT Prem with no add ons. Looking forward to any questions or comments.
Give us some more information on why you want a Mustang? With this, we may be able to help you.

Is it the v8? How it looks? Heritage? Aftermarket potential?

Definitely wouldn't consider this a family vehicle unless kids are only occasionally going to sit in the back. Definitely a good cruiser though. Pretty comfortable on trips.

There is a reason why most Mustangs have pristine back seats... They aren't ever used.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Mustangs are horrible family cars. If your looking for something sporty. I'd try a charger, WRX, ETC. Something that would actually hold a family in a pinch.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Take your wife for a Mustang GT test drive with her in the back seat. That would definitely help to clarify if the GT is the right choice.

Happy wife, happy life!

Sponsored

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
If you have a family of 4 people that are all under 5 foot tall this is the car for you. If your 5'10" or taller the back seat is completely useless for anyone. It's funny how it's classified as a 4 person car.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
We take our Mustangs on road trips quite often, but there is just the wife and myself. I wouldn't put anyone in the back seat for anything other than running around town for a short time. Anything other than that would be considered cruel, and unusual punishment. Also when we take our convertibles on long trips we have to use the back seat for stuff that won't fit into the trunk. The GT's do return quite good mpg's at somewhere between 24 - 26.

As suggested above a Charger may fit your needs better, but if I recall correctly the Hemi's are a bit tough on gas. Good luck on your decision.

OP
OP

ssmuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New one soon
I used to own several fox body mustangs when I was younger. I like the looks of the Mustang over the charger/challenger and camaro. Having a small 4 or 6 cyl plus turbo scares me when you think about long term reliability. Again this car is to help keep miles off the Pilot. So yes this car would see 10 min to 3 hour drives more then anything. I have a 9 yr old boy who loves the thought of having a "fast" car. My 14 yr old could care less and is a teen who is either with her friends or in her room. All of us are under 5'10" so head room and leg room should be pretty safe.

Most cars that have been on my list have a good forum presence and mods available.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I'm 5'8". I have to lean over sitting in the back seat or scrunch down to keep my head from hitting the rear window. Sitting back there actually makes me feel claustrophobic.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=35631]ssmuff[/MENTION] I have the same problem as you. I really do love cars that much too. I've almost gone every brand. The 2 brands still on my list I would like to drive for awhile is BMW and Mazda. A Porsche 911 when I get one, is a keeper like this Mustang.

I piss my wife off all the time too. I start getting stuff in my head and find a reason to switch. My last vehicle was a Tundra. I actually didn't complain much for the 5 years I had that. Usually within 2 years I'm looking for something new. With this Mustang, I almost traded it in twice in 9 months. It's been hard to adjust to a coupe and it's lack of utility. I now feel like I'm over that stage. I'm now focused on enjoying it for what it does satisfy me for.

I have a 10 and 12 year old. They don't need boosters anymore. I'm 5'11" and I do need to slide the seat forward a smidge. We can rock the stang around town for a one stopper. If we were going to different stores, forget about it. I would not do a road trip with them in this car. If it was just 3 of us, that's a possibility.
Sponsored