Need your opinion! What year GT?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Let me ask you, if you saw a 2020 gt with 6k miles for only 32k... amazing steal? Or possibly something wrong with the car the dealers trying to hide? Lowest priced I've ever seen for a 2020 with basically no miles on it
I just picked up my 2019 with 7800 miles, GT 301A A10 Ruby Red for 30k even.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I just picked up my 2019 with 7800 miles, GT 301A A10 Ruby Red for 30k even.
Whaaaat?! Few questions lol What state are you in? And clean title no accidents? And was it a ford dealer or one of those smaller dealers?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Iā€™m in IL. Haha- Actually itā€™s a bit of a special situation- I work for a BMW dealer thatā€™s part of a larger auto group and this car was at one of our other stores. It had not moved in a while so they do a dealer group internal auction thing to cycle the stock around to different locations if itā€™s not selling and it ended up at our store. I got wind of it and started looking into the details and got it for a steal. The car was originally sold in Canada and had the US DOT conversion done. Iā€™m a tech of 21 years and so took a really good look at it and itā€™s very clean, no signs of accidents (Iā€™ve learned what to look for). Took it home overnight to make sure I liked it and signed the paperwork the very next day.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I just sold my 2017 Ecoboost and I am picking up a 2017 GT PP. I didn't like the 2018+ redesign as much. The added features of the Gen 3 coyote, digital dash, rev matching on the 19+ are all great. In my price range the 2017 was a better buy since I found one with very low miles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If the 16' GT is what you can afford right now I think that is a good step up for you. Great color, premium and PP. The price sounds right if the car is in good shape. All the 18/19+ features are wonderful, if you can afford them. You're going to love a GT. :like:

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
16 GT :like:

FWIW, I drove my GT to 5 different wineries and breweries today in the Hudson Valley trying to get gigs. Nice and warm out and had the windows down just to listen to the exhaust. Best car ever for doing that šŸ˜Ž

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Let me ask you, if you saw a 2020 gt with 6k miles for only 32k... amazing steal? Or possibly something wrong with the car the dealers trying to hide? Lowest priced I've ever seen for a 2020 with basically no miles on it
Last year, I was shopping for a "17-'18 GT, 6MT, 401a, safe &smart, for around $34k.

In November I ended up getting a 2019 GT 6MT, 401a, PP1, safe&smart, B&O, active exhaust, security package, with 16k+ miles.

The car I found was listed at a Chevy dealer at $33k, and I was sure it was either a bait-and-switch, or something seriously wrong with it.

I drove 4.5 hours to go see it, told the salesperson I am driving 9 hours to see the car, so there better not be any funny business. He told me that he hadn't seen the car yet, so don't come down yet until he sees it in person... I asked, is the car physically at your dealer? He said yes. I asked him if the photos were actual car? He said yes. I said then I am coming down.

I drove down, and halfway down I get a message from him saying that maybe no test drive as he saw the car and the car was traded in only 2 days ago and it is filthy inside.

I said I don't need to go on a highway, just am fine to do lot drive... by the time I got down there, he put on dealer plate and said we can go for a testdrive. The interior indeed was filthy, but I didn't care as I was going to remove the seats and do a theough cleaning anyway...

The car drove fine, but I noticed when I turn lock to lock, I could hear a faint "pop". I have replaced sooo many strut bearings and this seemed like 100% strut bearing. The salesperson didn't seem to notice.

I went back, tried to do the financing, but sales guy came back and said that the manager looked over the car and they screwed up. They said they noticed that it had brembo brakes. The sales guy said the kid who listed the car didn't realize it had brembos because they are usually red (I'll give them that), and the wheels (PP1) have so little spacing (I'll give them that too), that they didn't see it in the dark. The salesperson said they also didn't even know it had upgraded sound as it didn't say shaker, until I asked the sales guy over the phone if he could tell me if there was a subwoofer in the trunk.

They said the car should really be listed at $38k. I knew that on autotempest identically equipped car with 3k mi less were indeed listed at $36-38k.

I made a big stink about the "bait-and-switch" and how I drove 9 hours. They came down to $37k. I then mentioned the busted strut bearing, and brought them outside. I had their tech put their ear to the strut tower and did lock to lock and he nodded, yup, busted bearing... that brought it down to $36k+.

I then took the salesperson back on a testdrive and pointed out the squeak/groan from the rear windshield area. I was ok with it because both my '15 and '17 EB had developed these symptoms.

That brought it down to $35.5k. I then told them that I don't need the $800 "reconditioning", and I'll take the car as is with the filthy interior and all. In the end, I got that car for $34.7k.

I went home, drove 9 hours again 1 week later (I didn't mind, it was the last ride in my leased '17 EB) and when I came to pick it up, they did the reconditioning anyway. The salesperson said the manager did not want a filthy car leaving their dealer as it ruins their image. The car looked brand new.

I drove it home, and 1 week later took it to the ford dealer that I had decent relationship with over window not always closing (which I fixed by myself anyway after getting help from people in here). They ordered new switch, and the service manager was shocked that it had 17k miles because he said it looked brand new. I told them I got a great deal because of busted strut bearing. He told me that they will replace it under warranty. I was sure it would have been wear-and-tear, and I was going to do it at home (I have a pneumatic strut spring compressor that I only got to use once in last 10 years). He warranties it and replaced both sides. They also tested batt and while it seemed ok, he replaced it under warranty as well.

Sorry for the long post, but yes my car did look suspect, but after 5 months, it is perfectly fine. So yes, while really cheap car maybe suspicious, at least in my case it seems perfectly fine.

And then regarding the squeak/groan from the rear, I thought it was a suspension or frame problem because it did that going over bumps... after reading a post here, I pulled down my seatbacks and the instead of flipping them up and letting them just latch back by themselves, I really pushed back on the seatbacks to really lock it back in upright position, and... no more sounds! What! I lived with it in my last two mustangs for... 6 years!

Also, after I got my strut tower bearings replaced, I realized how much smoother the steering wheel is. I didn't realize it, but my '17 EB's steering, while it didn't make popping sounds, still wasn't as smooth. I think the strut bearings degrade so slowly over time (in the end, they ARE just two pieces of plastic) that I don't think I realized on my '17.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
FWIW, my general rule is to buy the newest I can reasonably afford that meets whatever specifications I've deemed important.
Sponsored