Advertisement

Need to level out the front drivers seat

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by jonrjen, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jonrjen

jonrjen Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
    0   0   0
    Recently post another thread of "Should it stay or should it go" talking about how bad my right leg cramps up after approx. 2 hours of drive time in my 2018 GT Platinum. I didn't have this problem in my base cloth seats of my 2017 Ecoboost Mustang.

Wondered if it was due to the cloth seats allowing for more cloth material stretching vs the leather. Or the lower seat IE: butt cushion being a firmer foam.

I took the GT out for a drive yesterday trying to pay more attention to leg pressures against the seat. Later in the day I was on youtube watching videos on the Focus ST. The reviewer made mention that many people found the S2 an S3 version of the ST come with the upgraded Recaro seats with higher side bolstering. These seats also were designed with a more pronounced pitch of the lower seat keeping the butt planted lower than the forward edge of the seat saying this position of the seat helped keep the driver more secure in the seat during heavy braking if course racing.

Well after hearing this a light went off in my head, maybe/does the leather seats in the GT Platinum sit with the leading edge of the driver seat set higher and designed to keep the butt lower? After taking a look at the seat and playing with the electric seat adjustments it appears that the forward leading edge of the seat does sit higher than the butt pocket of the seat. The electric controls will not lift the rear of the seat high enough to level out the lower seat cushion. It does come close, but also greatly limits your head room and shortens the leg length clearance creating a whole other issue.

OK, now you have the history behind my question which is. Would it be feasible to loosen the 4 mounting bolts of the seat then using washer to raise the rear of the seat base mount by stacking them under the mount frame and floor of the car then retighten everything sound like a reasonable fix?

I await your feedback Pro or Con.

Thanks in advance,

2. Interceptor

Interceptor Daily Driver

First Name:
    John-David
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 California Special A10
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Body shims.

3. Anthony 05 GT

Anthony 05 GT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
    Mechanic
    0   0   0
    I see no reason why you couldn't space the seat up higher in the back.

4. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '19 WRX, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    Are these bolts actual bolts that screw down into captive nuts in the floor or are they studs with nuts? If they're studs, be sure to leave half a thread or so of the studs outside the tops of the nuts. This would be to ensure that you maintain full joint strength.

Otherwise, I see no problem, having done the same thing once or twice myself.

Norm

5. 1004ron

1004ron Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
    0   0   0
    #5 1004ron, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Wouldn't the headroom be an issue if you placed spacers on the rear mounting bolts?

I have just changed from cloth seats to Katzkin leather, and it makes no difference to the comfort and degree of cushioning - maybe not relative to this discussion, seeing as there's a chance the factory installed leather vs cloth may be different.

I would not rely on washers to raise the rear attachment of the seats - on the rear there's a locating dowel pin in addition to the Torx bolt.

I raised the passenger seat rear 2" using a short length of square tubing which has holes for the locating dowel.

See locating dowel pin hole alongside the screw hole:

36981730400_a10e0f1134_k-jpg.jpg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-cloth-removal-and-leather-install.30323/

6. OP
    OP
    jonrjen

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #6 jonrjen, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    These are actual bolts the thread down into a captive nut.

7. OP
    OP
    jonrjen

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0

8. 1004ron

1004ron Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
    0   0   0
    I used 2.5" square tubing at 2.5" long with four holes drilled to suit the securing bolts and locating dowel pin, with Grade 8 bolts and Nylock nuts.

I was going to use 2" tubing, but as can be seen, even the 2.5" in the rear does not fully level the seat - Its my wife's car, but when we go out I drive and she complained bitterly about the angle of the seat hurting her back. IMG_4032.JPG IMG_4033.JPG IMG_4034.JPG IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4037.JPG