Leather drivers seat too soft and bottoming out

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Buy a new bottom cushion online. Remove your seat, flip it over and you'll see how easy this job is. I've reupholstered two Mustangs with OEM leather, and it took a few hours to do all the seats, but it's really not hard. The bottom cushion on a front seat is a snap. Save yourself a bundle, this is very DIY.
Not sure if OP is open to this excellent idea but here you go.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
@PC_GUARD it's not super difficult to disassemble these seats. I swapped my cloth seat covers for oem leather and have experience taking these seats apart. You can swap the cushions if you're even mildly mechanically inclined (like me). I bet you could do this in about two hours working at a leisurely pace.

The seat cushions aren't exactly inexpensive, $130 from Levittown that's a small price to pay to comfort your butt

Relevant CJPP VIDEO how to disassemble S550 seats. "You'll be back on the road in no time" :wink:
EXACTLY. @PC_GUARD we will be here for you once again when you get into the heavy lifting such as rotating tires, changing oil and routine brake maintenance!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't think replacing the seat cushion with another stock cushion will help. I have the same problem (I weigh 220 lbs) and my son-in-law (197 lbs) said the seat was getting pretty uncomfortable after an hour or so. Nobody heavy sat in that seat before me. I think part of the problem is the cushion angles too much to the rear.

Sponsored

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
So what your saying is you have a VERY good reason to order a S650 when available?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Buy a new bottom cushion online. Remove your seat, flip it over and you'll see how easy this job is. I've reupholstered two Mustangs with OEM leather, and it took a few hours to do all the seats, but it's really not hard. The bottom cushion on a front seat is a snap. Save yourself a bundle, this is very DIY.
Agree. Especially with any seat component being readily available on eBay from new takes offs, to upholstery, bottom cushions, seat rails, etc….

Definitely save yourself some time & money by doing it yourself. Plenty of seat threads on here too with many pics and vid links.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
If mine blow out (there still in excellent shape), I'll take the seat out and take it to an upholstery shop to fix it right, they will properly build the underlying padding/foam up. Putting stock back in sounds like a waste of time and money, only to have it possibly sagging again in a short time

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
The foam bottom is not that expensive from Ford $153... https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/soft-trim/pad-seat-cushion-7862729-1

I could remove and replace the foam pad in about an hour, just taking my time.
Remove bolts from floor,
Lean seat back against back seat and unplug wires,
Remove seat

I did my 2020 Explorer, got to the point I could remove, disassemble and reassemble the seat in about 30 min without breaking anything. My 2020 explorer was so uncomfortable, I had to add some padding...

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think replacing the seat cushion with another stock cushion will help. I have the same problem (I weigh 220 lbs) and my son-in-law (197 lbs) said the seat was getting pretty uncomfortable after an hour or so. Nobody heavy sat in that seat before me. I think part of the problem is the cushion angles too much to the rear.
THIS....
I had a 2016 GT Premium and the Leather Seats were terrible.. very little bottom support and felt like I was sitting on rocks. I traded in the 2016 for a 2017 CS vert which had the leather trim with suede inserts.. the cushioning was night and day difference. I would spring for higher quality foam. My 350 has the same seats as the CS and equally as comfortable....

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
THIS....
I had a 2016 GT Premium and the Leather Seats were terrible.. very little bottom support and felt like I was sitting on rocks. I traded in the 2016 for a 2017 CS vert which had the leather trim with suede inserts.. the cushioning was night and day difference. I would spring for higher quality foam. My 350 has the same seats as the CS and equally as comfortable....
I too have a 2016, started as GT PP, but it is a Roush RS3, Not sure what they did to the seats, but my seats are great, but I have the Roush upholstery (with the alcantara inserts) , not sure if they added padding or not. I ended up selling my 2020 Explorer ST because the seats were so awful.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I too have a 2016, started as GT PP, but it is a Roush RS3, Not sure what they did to the seats, but my seats are great, but I have the Roush upholstery (with the alcantara inserts) , not sure if they added padding or not. I ended up selling my 2020 Explorer ST because the seats were so awful.
I think the inserts really help to support the seat area.. the leather just seemed to sink to the bottom...
Sponsored