Need help with noise my engine developed

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So my 2016 GT with 19k miles recently developed a chirping sound at idle, It does not make noise when cold only occurs at full temperature and seems to be coming from drivers side, I removed the serpentine belt then ran engine for a few seconds and noise still persists.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sounds like a knock, not a chirp. You have a hose off between the intake tube and drivers side valve cover - looks like the fresh air tube for the PCV system. Does the sound change when the hose is installed?

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sound does not change with PCV tube installed, Its a metallic sound like a dry bearing.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sound does not change with PCV tube installed, Its a metallic sound like a dry bearing.
Yes, it sounds like a bearing knock or else maybe a hydraulic valve follower is collapsed. Is the noise on the top end, or more pronounced under the car?

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Noise is definitely in the top end, I stopped by my friends shop today that is very familiar with rebuilding late model engines to let him listen, I'm going back Thursday to have him pull the drivers side cam cover a look around, Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had mechanic go over engine with stethoscope and confirmed noise is loudest in drivers side head so pulled cam cover to inpect internals and everything looks perfect so it's a mystery.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had mechanic go over engine with stethoscope and confirmed noise is loudest in drivers side head so pulled cam cover to inpect internals and everything looks perfect so it's a mystery.
Visual inspection can't really tell if a hydraulic follower is bad or not.

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
True just wanted to check condition of cams, Noise starts around full oil temp so could it be a follower loosing oil preasure once oil gets hot a thins out.

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Finally got the noise fixed it was the drivers side primary cam chain tensioner.

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi Unadilla248,

Hope this helps you. I went down the same road you did. It turns out is an issue with one of the tensioners of the timing chain on the driver side, Ford releases a TSB telling the mechanics not to attempt repair that they are further investigating, that is the last I heard and my car is still making the noise but only during warm up my noise stops once operating temperature has been reached.

Here is all the info:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pulley-sound-when-cold.121044/#post-2528546

Sponsored
OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you do the work yourself or under warranty?
Hi, I did the work myself due to my warranty being expired and most likely dealer would have said its normal.

It developed around 18k miles and chirp noise was definitely coming from drivers side head so I replaced both primary tensioner's and noise is completely gone but unfortunately it's a lot of work and requires decent mechanical skill to complete

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi, I did the work myself due to my warranty being expired and most likely dealer would have said its normal.

It developed around 18k miles and chirp noise was definitely coming from drivers side head so I replaced both primary tensioner's and noise is completely gone but unfortunately it's a lot of work and requires decent mechanical skill to complete

did you note what exactly was making the chirping sound inside the tensioner? I wonder if I leave it as is long term what would happen

OP
OP
Unadilla248

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
did you note what exactly was making the chirping sound inside the tensioner? I wonder if I leave it as is long term what would happen
I inspected and measured both tensioner's since I have the measuring tools (micrometer & bore gauge) and could not find any major measurment difference between the two but the drivers side did show more wear marks on inside of bore but nothing serious, These tensioner's have a check valve inside to hold oil preasure and I'm wondering if the valve starts to fail and not hold good oil preasure the plunger could be moving inside the bore and creating the chirp, I don't see this causing any catastrophic failure but the chirp is annoying sounds like a bird under the hood.

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I inspected and measured both tensioner's since I have the measuring tools (micrometer & bore gauge) and could not find any major measurment difference between the two but the drivers side did show more wear marks on inside of bore but nothing serious, These tensioner's have a check valve inside to hold oil preasure and I'm wondering if the valve starts to fail and not hold good oil preasure the plunger could be moving inside the bore and creating the chirp, I don't see this causing any catastrophic failure but the chirp is annoying sounds like a bird under the hood.
Thanks for all the info!
Sponsored