Sponsored

Need Help on Mods for a Stock GT

Halvaroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Hey folks, I've had my Mustang GT for about 2 years now, enjoying it a hell lot, It's my daily and it's been a riot. I was finally considering doing some more most on my my Mustang, and so I wanted people who have actually done mods to chime in and tell me what I should do first and what products would be best. Also as a note my engine blew up at 8700 miles, and got a new one under warranty, so power mods are out of question, the car currently sits at 16000 miles. The car is mostly for the steet and sees a track use maybe 2-3 times a year(VIIR), and I certainly don't possess the skills to fully push this thing, nor do I intend to. I don't plan on doing all the mods at the same time.

The Mods I'm considering are in the following order:
  1. Bigger Rims up from 255 that came from the factory, right now I'm considering the PP1 wheels, but I'm open to anything with good build quality, budget for this is 2k at most (only rims, not tires), can't justify any more for wheels, also what are the largest wheels I can fit in a stock car? Are 255's enough? Planning on also using Michellin AS4 since I live in the east coast.
  2. Suspension, Bilstein b16 pss10, colleague of mine with an M2 recommended this to me, I could also go with Ford's track pack, but I think this might be best for a street car
  3. Steeda stop the hop kit, any higher quality alternatives are welcome
  4. Strut Bar
Sponsored

LethalSteveG

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Saleen Yellow Label
Hey folks, I've had my Mustang GT for about 2 years now, enjoying it a hell lot, It's my daily and it's been a riot. I was finally considering doing some more most on my my Mustang, and so I wanted people who have actually done mods to chime in and tell me what I should do first and what products would be best. Also as a note my engine blew up at 8700 miles, and got a new one under warranty, so power mods are out of question, the car currently sits at 16000 miles. The car is mostly for the steet and sees a track use maybe 2-3 times a year(VIIR), and I certainly don't possess the skills to fully push this thing, nor do I intend to. I don't plan on doing all the mods at the same time.

1. Bigger Rims up from 255 that came from the factory, right now I'm considering the PP1 wheels, but I'm open to anything with good build quality, budget for this is 2k at most (only rims, not tires), can't justify any more for wheels, also what are the largest wheels I can fit in a stock car? Are 255's enough? Planning on also using Michellin AS4 since I live in the east coast.
  2. Suspension, Bilstein b16 pss10, colleague of mine with an M2 recommended this to me, I could also go with Ford's track pack, but I think this might be best for a street car
  4. Strut Bar
The 255 width is a normal size to run but unless you want an OEM size wheel, it's all you can really do. You can stretch a 275 on the OEM wheels and sometimes a little bigger but you loose sidewall doing that. With a 2k budget for just the wheels, I would. need to your wheel and full tire size now.

With suspension, if you are looking at the STEEDA stop the hop kit, at that point I recommend running the Pro-Active shocks/struts with camber plates from them as well. This way it's all tied together and can be aligned properly. But I will say, if you plan on hitting turns more often once you feel the better handling, larger tires are 100% recommend. You want more contact.

A strut bar is a nice touch and really looks good. The undercarriage is going to be the biggest difference though.

With all the said, we built street handling packages using STEEDA for your basic just wanting to lower to full on road race without adding NVH (kit pending this) On mine, I do a lot of corner carving style driving along with street use. I have worked with STEEDA over the years to create the ultimate setups and IMO, we nailed this combos. I love how mine handles and everyone who has driven it, agrees.

For what you are doing, Level 3 or 4 would be all you need. 4 is max effort for you, IMO.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...on-packages/street-handling?manufacturer=1039

I hope this information helps.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wider rims and tires are huge. Depending on what you’re doing with the car, 19x10 square or 19x10 front and 19x11 rear are really common… either way it makes a huge difference and is well worth the money.

The Ford Performance Track suspension set up is worth looking at. Steeda stop the hop kit is great. If you do the strut bar get the kit with both bars and then get the little bracket that attaches to the firewall, it’s a must to go with the strut tower brace. The G-track Extreme brace is great as well.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
For wheels, stay away from the PP1 or 2 wheels. They are boat anchors! You'll be much better off getting some nice forged ones or good flow formed ones from LMR! The MPS a/s 4 are great and honestly provide 85-90% of the dry grip the PS4S give.

Otherwise your list looks solid!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Steeda G Trac brace (2 point) up front and the stop the hop stuff in the rear for sure. Ford Performance Strut tower brace kit which also comes with the cowl brace. You’ll want to add the cowl extension piece as well.

As for wheels, as others mentioned, go with a 10” wide wheel all the way around with 285 tires. Makes a huge difference. LMR’s SVE wheels are really good, Apex Race Parts makes really good wheels as well. Either will be lighter than the stock wheels. I went with 20” wheels as I like the look but will probably get a set of Apex 19x10 at some point too.

If you want a full suspension setup, the Ford Track Handling kit is a good one. I’m going to do that one, most likely next year. Steeda has really good kit options as well.

Edit: one more to add, the Steeda Full Length jacking rails.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

4. Strut Bar
Get 19X9.5 or 19X10s, and 275 tires, 4-square.

The Ford Performance Track Pack has a lot more than just shocks and struts, and is a complete suspension set up that you need. What someone else with a completely different car did, is immaterial.

Yes, install the Steeda Stop The Hop Ultimate kit.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

4. Strut Bar
always happy to take some time over the phone to go over your goals and different options and put a package together.

so many options and questions.

I’ll send a DM amd we can go over your goals. Your also welcome to call - 855-827-7223 - www.beefcakeracing.com

JBennett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just curious about what happened to the engine blowing at 8k miles.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Add a Ford Performance catch can to the 5.0. The FP strut tower brace / kit works great as well.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for the FP catch can

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
+1 for the FP catch can
I'm curious as to why people say the catch can is so needed on the 5.0s. Mine does not loose or burn any oil, so in theory I shouldn't be pulling the oil through to the intake manifold, right? Or is the amount just small enough it would take a long time before I would notice a change in oil level?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm curious as to why people say the catch can is so needed on the 5.0s. Mine does not loose or burn any oil, so in theory I shouldn't be pulling the oil through to the intake manifold, right? Or is the amount just small enough it would take a long time before I would notice a change in oil level?
It’s oil vapors (and possibly other contaminants) it’s catching before it gets into the IM. Since the gen 3’s have PI in addition to DI (and the gen 1 & gen 2 are PI only), it’s not really necessary for daily driving since most of it gets cleaned off by the PI. What actually makes it into the IM is likely not going to hurt the car but I’m planning on keeping my car a long time so I figure it’s easy insurance to get as much life out of the engine as possible.

And I used FordPass points so it didn’t cost me anything (other than the price of my car and other services that built up points over the last few years).

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
It’s oil vapors (and possibly other contaminants) it’s catching before it gets into the IM. Since the gen 3’s have PI in addition to DI (and the gen 1 & gen 2 are PI only), it’s not really necessary for daily driving since most of it gets cleaned off by the PI. What actually makes it into the IM is likely not going to hurt the car but I’m planning on keeping my car a long time so I figure it’s easy insurance to get as much life out of the engine as possible.

And I used FordPass points so it didn’t cost me anything (other than the price of my car and other services that built up points over the last few years).
Yeah the PI will clean off a lot if not all of any oil that gets through. For the contaminants part, if those are finding themselves being pull through the system into the intake then I have other major problems lol! I might consider getting one eventually, I'm not in a rush since I have PI though. Thanks for the explanation :like:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah the PI will clean off a lot if not all of any oil that gets through. For the contaminants part, if those are finding themselves being pull through the system into the intake then I have other major problems lol! I might consider getting one eventually, I'm not in a rush since I have PI though. Thanks for the explanation :like:
Yeah there shouldn’t be anything else that gets in there, maybe a little condensation finds it’s way to the bottom of the can. I’m going to be emptying mine for the first time in a couple weeks. Will be curious how much it actually caught. I’ve got about 2,500 miles on the car since I installed the catch can back in May.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
an e85 tune :giggle: if you've had it stock alreadyfor a couple years then this will make your car feel like a whole different beast

oops just realized no warranty voiding mods r i p
Sponsored