Need built block info and suggestions

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My primary concern with E30 and E85 is this is my daily driver and I travel extensively in it - I just drove from Florida to Texas and back, and in the near future will be making trips up the east coast across several states. If I'm married to an ethanol tune what do I do when I stop at a remote gas station in the middle of Podunk Holler and can't find E30/E85?
In the time it takes to fill your tank you can change the engine map.
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
My primary concern with E30 and E85 is this is my daily driver and I travel extensively in it - I just drove from Florida to Texas and back, and in the near future will be making trips up the east coast across several states. If I'm married to an ethanol tune what do I do when I stop at a remote gas station in the middle of Podunk Holler and can't find E30/E85?
I've been to Podunk Holler! And your right, it can be a hassle to find E85. I now carry a 5 gallon can of E85 in my trunk, which is also a big hassle... Sorry, but I don't have a simple solution.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm not sure I am interested in carrying 5 gallons of flammable liquid in my trunk all the time.....

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Does "built block" basically mean the same 2.3L engine, but made with stronger aftermarketcomponents? Do people just buy "built blocks" and drop it in their car like plug and play, basically allowing you to run a more aggressive tune (like E85)?

I've been going down the rabbithole reading about all this and am both confused and intrigued...

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Does "built block" basically mean the same 2.3L engine, but made with stronger aftermarketcomponents? Do people just buy "built blocks" and drop it in their car like plug and play, basically allowing you to run a more aggressive tune (like E85)?

I've been going down the rabbithole reading about all this and am both confused and intrigued...
I run E85 on a stock (2018) long block with 1st generation connecting rods. You have a (2022) motor and it should have the better 2nd generation connecting rods.
Just because you have a "built block", doesn't mean you are free of detonation/knock, which is want tears up most motors, factory stock and/or aftermarket.

Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I run E85 on a stock (2018) long block with 1st generation connecting rods. You have a (2022) motor and it should have the better 2nd generation connecting rods.
Just because you have a "built block", doesn't mean you are free of detonation/knock, which is want tears up most motors, factory stock and/or aftermarket.
Oh yea I remember reading abount that. I probably won't be doing any custom tune for 3 more yrs (I have the frpp tune/warranty), but when my warranty ends would you recommend a bigger turbo like the nx2 or just e30/85 to be safest? I mainly want to keep low end torque since that's my favorite thing about the ecoboost and heard a bigger turbo brings more high end power but you lose some low end :frown: (but that also makes it easier on the engine and technically safer?)

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Oh yea I remember reading abount that. I probably won't be doing any custom tune for 3 more yrs (I have the frpp tune/warranty), but when my warranty ends would you recommend a bigger turbo like the nx2 or just e30/85 to be safest? I mainly want to keep low end torque since that's my favorite thing about the ecoboost and heard a bigger turbo brings more high end power but you lose some low end :frown:
The NX2 is a good all purpose (street/track/strip) turbocharger!
I'm currently having tuning issues, or issues with my Tuner!? Not sure why, unless he's covering his back side with the EPA!??
But as for the turbocharger itself, I'm pleased with the design and quality!!

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The NX2 is a good all purpose (street/track/strip) turbocharger!
I'm currently having tuning issues, or issues with my Tuner!? Not sure why, unless he's covering his back side with the EPA!??
But as for the turbocharger itself, I'm pleased with the design and quality!!
Damn sorry to hear that. But I also thought E85 with the nx2 would be pushing it on the stock engine?

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Damn sorry to hear that. But I also thought E85 with the nx2 would be pushing it on the stock engine?
The new turbocharger, along with my intake and exhaust system, runs freely, and puts very little stress on the motor. And the E85 fuel changes a knock prone engine into an almost knock free engine.
The #1 issue I'm having with the NX2/E85 tune is in the fuel delivery. My auxiliary Port Injectors are only opening between 3000 rpm and 6000 rpm, and the ECU is restricting the fuel to my direct injectors from idle to red line. My AFR has been as high as 15.1 during WOT acceleration...?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

This is a non-factory built engine which someone has spec'd different components to fix the weak points. Generally, it will also be built using a 2.0 closed deck block instead of a 2.3 block, because these are significantly stronger. These engines will usually run just fine if used in stock configuration, but they are much more durable if you're running big turbos and lots of power.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is a non-factory built engine which someone has spec'd different components to fix the weak points. Generally, it will also be built using a 2.0 closed deck block instead of a 2.3 block, because these are significantly stronger. These engines will usually run just find if used in stock configuration, but they are much more durable if you're running big turbos and lots of power.
do most people go with a built short or long for reliability/strength for say a bigger turbo/more aggressive tune? The long blocks I've seen go for 10k but contain everything and are pre assembled from what I understand?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It depends how mechanically inclined you are, but long is what I've done. I want to have the same guy put the entire engine together. If it blows, we know who to blame.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
It depends how mechanically inclined you are, but long is what I've done. I want to have the same guy put the entire engine together. If it blows, we know who to blame.
Curious... What kind of warranty do these motors, built by independent shops have??

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've already spent 5k+ after only 3 months... who knows what I'll end up doing in the coming year :crazy:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Curious... What kind of warranty do these motors, built by independent shops have??
None. It's buyer beware, which is fine. I do my research and I don't need any hand-holding. I didn't buy the extended warranty, either, because I had no intention of leaving the car stock.
Sponsored