Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium Performance PK
Somebody please help.
Long story, long...
I installed a Ford Performance Track Handling Package myself and took it to a dealer for an alignment right afterwards. That was a couple months ago. Tuesday of this week I put on new wheels and tires. Wheels are Vorsteiner 11’s in back and 10’s in front. Tires are 305 rear and 285’s front. We immediately noticed that the rear camber was different from side to side. I took it back to the dealer to recheck the rear alignment. I was told that it’s more than an alignment issue, the subframe wasn’t installed correctly. First, why didn’t they tell me that when I originally had the alignment done? Second, I followed Ford’s instructions and CJ Pony Parts install video. In my opinion the subframe can only be bolted up correctly because it bolts up at four points and there’s no adjustment. I think the dealer didn’t do a proper rear alignment and it should be corrected under their 6 months, 6,000 mile warranty.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Sponsored

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Your subframe can be off center. There are parts from BMR and Steeda that will align the subframe. Some have it worse than others.

I installed the Steeda alignment kit this past week and got an alignment. My thrust angle is 0.01° which means my front and rear end are virtually completely in alignment.

Installing it in your case might be difficult seeing as you’ll need to man handle the subframe back into alignment... but once that’s finished and you get a suspension alignment the numbers are going to be a lot better.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Could be the subframe position, as mentioned, but both the arms that control camber are mounted to the subframe, so that probably isn't it. What's likely the problem is the bushings need to be clocked. Essentially they need to find their new nominal set point after lowering, and that's done by loosening and retightening the suspension points with rubber in them while the weight of the car is on the tires.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44129&highlight=Clock

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Your dealer looked at your car and told you exactly what’s up, the subframe isn’t aligned right. That’s a real possibility and a good expaination for a visible difference in the rear wheels.

You’ll probably have to correct the alignment after you align the subframe anyway. They didn’t tell you the first time because with stock wheels it’s difficult to notice and the normal alignment procedure doesn’t require the subframe to be exactly centered.

If you dropped the subframe and installed the springs, it won’t be all that hard to fix the subframe. Steeda and people have parts to help with that if you don’t just want to eyeball it. The car will probably need a wheel alignment afterwards if you want to make sure it drives perfectly straight.

No way the dealer is going to help if you did the suspension work yourself, sorry.

OP
OP
smitty9006

smitty9006

Smitty9006
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone

The dealer got it fixed and only charged for subframe work. Realignment was no charge.

Thanks again, there’s always great info here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
smitty9006

smitty9006

Smitty9006
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
thoughts?

Hey folks, please take a look at the alignment results and let me know what you think? Is it good enough or should I get the Steeda subframe stuff?

Thanks much, Dan
Alignment.jpg

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That rear camber is kinda asymmetrical on the left side there. Otherwise it looks real good.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That rear camber is kinda asymmetrical on the left side there. Otherwise it looks real good.
Yeah agreed. Everything but the left rear camber is good. It should match the right or within +/- 0.2 deg. I'd prefer the front toe was 0.00 or the same amount but positive, but it's not enough toe out to cause issue.

OP
OP
smitty9006

smitty9006

Smitty9006
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks

Thanks guys. Why do you think they couldn't get it better- especially the fronts but also the rears?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Probably laziness
The front isn't adjustable, so yeah, but yeah the rear is annoying to mess with so they probably aligned the subframe and fixed any toe issues which might have been disturbed by the subframe and called it a day.

OP
OP
smitty9006

smitty9006

Smitty9006
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Damn, I had some Steeda camber plates that I sold. I didn't think that they were needed with the Ford Performance Track Handling kit. Would they have helped?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I had some Steeda camber plates that I sold. I didn't think that they were needed with the Ford Performance Track Handling kit. Would they have helped?
To get it even, yes, but there's honestly nothing wrong with the front. The left rear is the only thing I'd consider getting addressed.

OP
OP
smitty9006

smitty9006

Smitty9006
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

What kind of place should I take it to to get the rear sorted? I'm in the Tampa Bay FL area.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
First of all, the side to side consistency is off. I never like seeing that.

Second, toe adjustment affects camber.

Third, toe up front is not anywhere close to where I would have my customers set it.

If the front toe was set to match side to side, and it was brought back IN to around zero, to in as much as say 0.03 per side with a total toe not to exceed 0.06 or 0.07...I bet the front camber would be closer to matching.

In the rear, the camber can be a nightmare for shops. The arms need to be pulled all the way out, with decent force...and tightened up to 85ftlbs IF YOU WANT LESS CAMBER. 100% of the time when I see inconsistent side to side camber out back, it is almost always shops being lazy.

In your case, I would address these issues and I think the alignment would be just right. In the rear, I would have them adjust the camber links to match...then adjust the toe. For the toe, go 0.13 in per side with a total of 0.26
Sponsored