Sponsored

MY20 GT Chirping Noise (Instrument Cluster?)

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Hi guys, I recently picked up a My20 GT and I’ve noticed a slight chirping noise that sounds like plastic on plastic rubbing when I go over small bumps or drive on uneven surfaces. It sounds like it’s coming from the instrument cluster/dash area.
I can’t hear the noise when I drive over larger bumps or pot holes.
The noise seems to be less prounounced with magneride in sport mode (stiffer).
I’ve done a little bit of research and realise that Mustangs have plenty of squeaks and rattles so I’ll probably just live with the noise unless there is an easy fix without ripping half the car apart and creating more noises haha
Has anyone had a similar issue? Appreciate your input.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My car does that from time to time it comes from the "phone" holder area where the usb port is the plastic there is moving causing this noise. No fix though.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The standard troubleshooting procedure of pushing on various panels while you hear it until you find it. Once you do remove the panel and put some some material (felt, foam, etc.) in the space to eliminate the noise. No guarantees but it’s a start.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Bikeman315 has spelled it out!
Unfortunately, these Mustangs are known to squeak and rattle. Most owners experience it, and so do I.
I just sort of live with it and laugh it off as part the ownership experience.
There is a certain charm about these cars being slightly unrefined.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
My 2020 did exactly the same thing and 2000 miles later, it seems to have stopped! :)

In my case it was coming from the trim panel on the face of the dash that extends from the vents (and gauges if you have a performance pack car) to the passenger side. Try pushing in that area and see if it stops. If so, I believe you can pop it off and affix some thin felt pads To the underside...maybe?

Sponsored

OP
OP
xSouthSyde

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Bikeman315 has spelled it out!
Unfortunately, these Mustangs are known to squeak and rattle. Most owners experience it, and so do I.
I just sort of live with it and laugh it off as part the ownership experience.
There is a certain charm about these cars being slightly unrefined.

I think I’m just ultra sensitive because the car is only a month old and I want everything to be “perfect”.
I’m sure after 12 months or so , I’ll forget about it and just be happy to listen to the sweet symphony of the V8 engine.
My last two cars were a Golf R and an M3 and neither of them were “perfect” either. Each car has their annoying little characteristics.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey OP, fill out your sig, so we know what options you have. If PP1, the gauge pod is definitely an issue. I lived with it until I bought the GT350 gauges, and I installed foam tape around the gauges from the inside. Well, it wasn't enough, so had to insert a little piece of rubber from a rubber washer on the top of both gauges with a thin trim tool, and problem solved. The good news is you don't need to remove the trim for that, since the tab that holds the bottom piece next to the glovebox gets damaged when pulled, meaning the top of the part won't sit flush with the long trim piece holding the gauges anymore. Took me an hour to fix to factory fit, with some drilling involved, so don't recommend removing it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

OP
OP
xSouthSyde

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Hey OP, fill out your sig, so we know what options you have. If PP1, the gauge pod is definitely an issue. I lived with it until I bought the GT350 gauges, and I installed foam tape around the gauges from the inside. Well, it wasn't enough, so had to insert a little piece of rubber from a rubber washer on the top of both gauges with a thin trim tool, and problem solved. The good news is you don't need to remove the trim for that, since the tab that holds the bottom piece next to the glovebox gets damaged when pulled, meaning the top of the part won't sit flush with the long trim piece holding the gauges anymore. Took me an hour to fix to factory fit, with some drilling involved, so don't recommend removing it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hey mate, I’m from Australia and I’m kind of new to Mustangs so I’m not too sure what the US specs are on the PP1 and PP2. Over here we only have the EcoBoost and the GT Premium available in RHD.
I have the digital dash where you can insert the custom vacume, trans temp etc gauges. You can also change the look of the instrument cluster plus different colours etc. I’m at work atm so I can’t put up a picture of it til later.
How big a job is it to remove the instrument cluster? I have a feeling that I need to wrap some foam or rubber like you did to stop things from rubbing on each other.
I think I can recreate the noise if I tug on the plastic that surrounds the digital dash but I need to investigate this a little bit more.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No need to remove anything; maybe I didn't make myself understood. I did remove it, but couldn't fix the squeaking that way. I was referring to the 2 gauges between the middle air vents, but I'm assuming you don't have them (if you have 3 middle vents, then you don't have them). I also had a slight rattle on the chrome surround of the digital dash, where I inserted a little bit of black electrical tape to the right end of that dash surround too. But the gauge rattling was way more annoying. You can also quiet down a vent (if that's what it is) by inserting something that forces it not to move against the dash piece. It can be something less elegant than I did, which is completely invisible. Just to force the vent or gauge against the opposite side where it doesn't move at all, so no more squeaking. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
xSouthSyde

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
No need to remove anything; maybe I didn't make myself understood. I did remove it, but couldn't fix the squeaking that way. I was referring to the 2 gauges between the middle air vents, but I'm assuming you don't have them (if you have 3 middle vents, then you don't have them). I also had a slight rattle on the chrome surround of the digital dash, where I inserted a little bit of black electrical tape to the right end of that dash surround too. But the gauge rattling was way more annoying. You can also quiet down a vent (if that's what it is) by inserting something that forces it not to move against the dash piece. It can be something less elegant than I did, which is completely invisible. Just to force the vent or gauge against the opposite side where it doesn't move at all, so no more squeaking. Hope this helps.
Yes I have the 3 middle vents and I am suspecting the noise is coming from the bezel/chrome surround. I think I might try some tape on the inner edge of the plastic (the part that’s closest to the instrument cluster).
I did look at a video of how to remove the digital cluster today but that looks like way too much work, you have to remove the air bag/wheel and pretty much all the front trim of the car.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You don't need to remove ANYTHING to quiet those noises. On the center bezels, you just need to push something at the top, all the way in, so it's not visible. Find something that is black rubber, and it'd be invisible. Otherwise, you can try with rolled up electrical tape, or some other black material, and just carefully shove it in there. For the chrome surround on the digital dash, mine was only rattling on the right end, so I shoved a small piece of electrical tape, and it did the trick. Good luck.

OP
OP
xSouthSyde

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
You don't need to remove ANYTHING to quiet those noises. On the center bezels, you just need to push something at the top, all the way in, so it's not visible. Find something that is black rubber, and it'd be invisible. Otherwise, you can try with rolled up electrical tape, or some other black material, and just carefully shove it in there. For the chrome surround on the digital dash, mine was only rattling on the right end, so I shoved a small piece of electrical tape, and it did the trick. Good luck.
Where exactly did you shove the electrical tape? Did you stick in around the edge of the Digital dash surround? I think my noises are coming from the lower left and lower right sides of the circles in front of the digital dash

7615E033-5A0B-419D-A190-463E2704A17D.jpeg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Where exactly did you shove the electrical tape? Did you stick in around the edge of the Digital dash surround? I think my noises are coming from the lower left and lower right sides of the circles in front of the digital dash
Just put the material you are using into the area where “your” noises are coming from.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep, that's exactly where mine was rattling, but only from the right side. I added an arrow to your picture (see below). Shoved a piece of black electrical tape at the end of the chrome surround, with the smallest jeweler's screwdriver I had, so it's not visible. You can see it if you get really close to it, but did it the easier way on the front of it. If you could shove it from behind it'd be invisible, but really hard to do. Since it was like 100-deg in my garage, didn't have the inclination to try. Ha ha. Good luck, and hope this helps.
Bullitt dash rattle.jpeg

OP
OP
xSouthSyde

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Yep, that's exactly where mine was rattling, but only from the right side. I added an arrow to your picture (see below). Shoved a piece of black electrical tape at the end of the chrome surround, with the smallest jeweler's screwdriver I had, so it's not visible. You can see it if you get really close to it, but did it the easier way on the front of it. If you could shove it from behind it'd be invisible, but really hard to do. Since it was like 100-deg in my garage, didn't have the inclination to try. Ha ha. Good luck, and hope this helps.
Bullitt dash rattle.jpeg
Thanks heaps man, I put some tape in the same spot and the on the lhs too and then went on a two hour cruise thru the hills and I think 99% of my annoying noises went away. Very Happy!
Now I just have to make it a little bit neater as I just applied it very rough just to see if it would work.
Case Closed!
Sponsored