My hands are DIRTY: 15' EB w/ 2.0 Fusion shortblock

Discussion in 'Members Mustang Journals / Projects' started by BoostedMTBer, Apr 25, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

BoostedMTBer Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    reserving space for build info. Tasca finally shipped my last minute parts order , so this weekend is GO TIME
    giphy.gif

Juben likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    #17 BoostedMTBer, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Progress update:
    Spent the weekend, and I mean entire weekend, assembling the new block and dropping it back in the car.
    The 2.3 parts mounts up to the Fusion block pretty well but there are definitely a few subtle differences. The main take away for anyone looking to build up a fresh 2.0 block is that you'll need to grab the 2 head alignment dowels (W701183-S300), the main coolant plug (W701548), and 3 oil galley plugs (W711692 x2, W711691). I F*ed up and did not get the correct oil galley plugs, but I was able to thread them out by using a 11/16 bit and then used a thread tap (Irwin Hanson High Carbon Steel SAE Pipe Tap 1/2 in.-14NPT) to plug them with standard hex 1/2'' NPT pipe plugs. Also the water pump housing is built into the 2.0 block, so you'll have to dissemble the 2.3 water pump housing and install the 2 pieces directly onto the block. I was able to pull out the 90 degree nozzle and install it onto the block as well, but I'd recommend buying a new one instead to avoid the hassle.

upload_2019-5-14_12-33-59.png

Other than that, my old man was a big help and we were able to take our time and follow the manual step by step. Just need to finish up getting everything bolted up and cross my fingers that she runs. A buddy i've made through the ecoboost FB page, Justin, let me borrow his home made crankpin kit and I was able to get my pulley and gear pinned to the crank and held together with a ARP crankbolt. Beats the hell out of depending on friction washers to hold everything together and not slip timing- which would be catastrophic. 2N9M-_eu.jpg large.jpg 13N3uZhG.jpg large.jpg Poi4ldNw.jpg large.jpg Qis6p7QS.jpg large.jpg WUTCs-Rh.jpg large.jpg

Juben and w3rkn like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    I made a fiscally irresponsible choice for my birthday gift to myself that was also the one of the best deals I've ever snagged!!!!!!
    $1525 for a full CP-E big turbo kit :champagne::beer::handsinair: ... just need port injection now :giggle:
    • Precision 6262 Ball Bearing Turbo
    • Catless downpipe w/ midpipe exhaust dump
    • Big CPE intercooler w/brackets and piping
    • Tial 50mm BOV
    • Precision Wastegate w/extra springs
    • Oil feed and return lines
    • Catch Can no lines
    upload_2019-5-10_12-25-19.png
    upload_2019-5-10_12-14-1.png

Will just have to tell the fiance that the car came with it :cwl:

Juben and Directnova like this.
  4. Directnova

Directnova New Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GMC Sierra SLE
    0   0   0
    Great build thread!

Cant wait to see more.

BoostedMTBer likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    Been a while since I’ve posted an update, but car is up and running! After spending three months in the garage covered in grease, I had a lot of wedding planning to catch up on (by planning I mean agreeing with the fiancé on her decisions). However, I did make some rookie mistakes and have some additional info to share.

Piston Rings:

my trusted EB guru recommended I use .0065’’ as my multiplier and who am I to argue. Bought a little piston ring grinding wheel and went to work gaping the rings to the following specs (inches). This is one of the most crucial steps and I may or may not have had to pull the engine out and rebuild it a second time because I under-gaped my rings. Just thankful they didn’t bind up and cause any damage. If there are any engine building rookies out there serious about building your short block and want some pointers- feel free to message me

upload_2019-6-14_16-45-10.png

Valve Lash:

Valve lash is adjusted on these cars by using different size tappets, which are just little metal buckets. Ford offers a bunch of different height tappets and if you make any changes to the head you should be prepared to drop up to $200 to pick up the correct size tappets to set valve lash. You select the correct tappet size by measuring clearance between the cam and tappet when the cam lobe is pointed away from the tappet. You rotate the cam around (make sure to apply fresh oil liberally and regularly) and use your feeler gauge to measure all of the lobe/tappet clearances. Then using the following formula calculate the correct tappet thickness. I’ll include a list of ford part numbers for the different tappet sizes they offer for easy reference.

upload_2019-6-14_16-45-25.png
    upload_2019-6-14_16-45-29.png
    upload_2019-6-14_16-45-38.pngupload_2019-6-14_16-45-44.pngupload_2019-6-14_16-45-49.pngupload_2019-6-14_16-45-54.png

Bull Run, TicTocTach, Juben and 2 others like this.
  6. Juben

Juben Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
    0   0   0
    That Justin dude seems like a real cool guy. I need to become friends with him. :inspect:

7. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    he seems pretty knowledgeable, but I still got no proof that he's not just Tesla AI trying to rid the world of petrol vehicles one piece of bad advice at a time.....i'd hold off until we see some sub 10sec time slips to give him street cred :inspect:

8. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    currently in the process of getting the big turbo ready for action :handsinair:
    trying to downsize the pte 6262 to a 5858, but still looking for a trade or used 5858 to pop up.
    everything in the kit was in pretty good shape, but the charge pipes were beat up and deformed from tbolt clamps being overly tight. Ended up renting an exhaust pipe expansion tool from autozone and was able to reshape them back to form. They are just waiting on me to make up my mind on color for a fresh coat of paint w/ ceramic coating.

Other updates:
    snagged a brand new MBRP street cat back for under $300!
    found it on ebay for cheap because there was damage to the y pipe- which turned out to be a5 second fix using the exhaust pipe expansion tool i rented to fix up the charge pipes- so I couldn't be happier since i got it for 50% off :champagne:
    As much as i liked the sound of my stock exhaust w/ muffler delete, I do like the depth of tone the MBRP puts off and it seems a little quieter on start up and while cruising. It really comes to life when you step on the pedal and sounds great paired up with the CVF catted downpipe.

Plan was to do a full 3'' set up, but didn't realize MBRP reduces their beautiful 3'' exhaust to work with the stock DP, so planning on chopping that section off and rigging up a 90 degree 3'' elbow with some butt joint clamps to connect to the 3'' CPE downpipe on the big turbo kit to get a true 3'' set up
    upload_2019-6-18_12-25-45.pngupload_2019-6-18_12-27-35.png

Future Plans
    -in the process of picking up a port injection kit to run e85. stock fuel system maxes out around 400hp, so this will be the last big power mod to hit my 500+ hp goal.
    if only the stock head flowed a little better i'd set my sights higher, but lifting a head is the last thing in need. hoping the MAP Ti spring kit, supertech valve seals, & new guides adds some value in there to make the $200 i had to drop on new valve tappets to correct valve lash worth it
    - Brake upgrade- either to GT 4 piston or better
    - half shaft upgrade
    - coil overs
    - Steeda G-Trac Brace (15-19)
    - Vertical Links
    - Adjustable Rear Toe Links
    - Race Radiator
    - Sway Bar upgrade
    - Wheels (eventually)

Shadow17 and Blue Moon like this.
  9. Shadow17

Shadow17 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Absolutely love seeing stuff like this. Can't wait to see this car rip!

10. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    appreciate it man! She will never be the fastest, best sounding, or win any car beauty pageants (especially with my DIY vinyl skills) but puts a smile on my face every time i get behind the wheel! never been on the strip, but my goal is to put down a 10sec run by EOY. Also really want to try some autocross racing, but will probably wait until i upgrade the brakes and suspension

AnalogDan, Blue Moon and Shadow17 like this.
  11. Shadow17

Shadow17 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    As long as it makes you happy that's what matters. No mod is a bad one if it makes you happy. Also with the Ecoboost you get all the cool pops and bangs.

12. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    big turbo kit should be mounted up this week! just need to add in port injection to make her a 550hp monster
    just picked up a 5858 to swap out the 6262
    nc_oc=AQkZe8r7WeL8zMdsM0UkbW80h4yu6_PPf2mdwph-P4kzFAgJXubakLPZFq_XtRnKStw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

Also found another score on Ebay for a full GT brake set for $300.
    upload_2019-6-24_11-30-10.png

Shadow17 and DuRsT like this.
  13. Shadow17

Shadow17 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    my lord that thing is going to SCOOT. I'm hyped as can be about this build.

14. DuRsT

DuRsT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Very fun build thread, good job man. You really jumped in with both feet as they say.

15. OP
    OP
    BoostedMTBer

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    thank you sir. you aren't kidding! I love to tinker with my toys & have a mod addiction- bikes, guns, cars, ect. except this had a steep learning curve & i couldn't afford to f*ck up :whew: would have ended up back in some old jalopy