Sponsored

My complicated relationship with the clay bar

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Anyone try gasoline, or WD40? They both work very well with petroleum substances.
no but I mentioned kerosene earlier which won t harm the finish like gasoline might.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
So I won't be here long and apologize for clickbaiting but... I HATE the clay bar.

For endless time the thought has been that black cars are hardest to keep clean.

I would volunteer that it is actually WHITE cars that are hardest to keep clean.

I washed my white 2019 Ram a couple days ago and discovered a field of tar spots from headlight to taillight.

Affter 4 hours with the clay bar, the finish is ready for CQuartz 3.0. My shoulders are aching and every spot required its own rub.

Make no mistake: There is no easy recovery from tar spots. Goo-gone, isopropanol alcohol, and tar remover had NO effect. It's clay bar, elbow grease, hunker down and work like they did in they 1950's.

I hate the clay bar. But love the results.
WD40. Wash with soap after.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Did that once and it boogered up the clear coat... won't be trying that again.
Yeah not a fan of introducing things to my paint that weren’t intended to be there in the first place such as WD40, gasoline, kerosene, etc. Stick with products intended for use on automotive paint, it’ll come off eventually.

Your truck looks good, I wouldn’t sweat the mixing and matching of two different coatings, especially on a white car. The only major visual differences between those products will be longevity.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I would be adding both Descale and Lift into the mix.
Thanks, amigo.

Edit: Went to pick up a bottle of Descale and of course, you were right on the money.

"CARPRO Descale designed from the ground up for reviving ceramic coatings that have had minerals build up on them."

But here's my question...1:100 bucket wash or 1:10 foam? Which would/do you use?

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks, amigo.

Edit: Went to pick up a bottle of Descale and of course, you were right on the money.

"CARPRO Descale designed from the ground up for reviving ceramic coatings that have had minerals build up on them."

But here's my question...1:100 bucket wash or 1:10 foam? Which would/do you use?
For Descale, I add about 100ml to my foam cannon, foam the car thoroughly. I then add a generous slug into my bucket and start the contact wash with foam still on the car.