My 8 day old GT was hit hard by a motorcycle :(

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hey everyone. I don't post too often and hadn't gotten around to even making an "EcoBoost to GT" thread but thought I'd share some painful pictures from last night. A speeding motorcyclist took out the whole driver's side of my new 2016 GT while I was running an errand. He was going at least 50 in a 35 around a corner on a long hill, came all the way over into the middle of my lane as I was oncoming. I swerved and he hit my fender, door and quarter panel. Dunno if they'll total it or try to fix it. The wife and I are okay. Side mirror came through the open window and gave me some bumps and cuts along with a corneal abrasion but that's it. Biker had a gash in the leg but should be ok. Could have been much worse but as you can guess I'm sick to my stomach that this happened to my brand new car. Only 350 miles. Car held up well though, door didn't come in at all. No airbags strangely though. Stay safe out there this weekend.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_9912.jpg
IMG_9915.jpg
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sorry to hear that buddy :(

I can feel your pain, I was rear ended while I had paper plates. IF they don't total it, I would do your research on body shops and not just take it to whoever the insurance recommends.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Holy crap, that's horrible!!

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Dang man! that sucks. Glad everyone is ok. Unfortunately I highly doubt it will be totaled, and you'll be stuck with a car that is no longer the same. Mechanically will be fine, but cosmetically things will not be perfect anymore.

No airbags because they have to detect a strong impact, motorcycle was more of a glancing blow.

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Sorry to hear that buddy :(

I can feel your pain, I was rear ended while I had paper plates. IF they don't total it, I would do your research on body shops and not just take it to whoever the insurance recommends.
Yes. What daltron said. Research body shops. Your car is NOT totalled. You want a shop that will replace fenders, door, quarter, etc. with OEM parts and use no filler anywhere. Most importantly, you need to find a shop with top notch painting skills. Good body work with a bad paint job will haunt you forever. It needs to look factory fresh after they're done with it - including color and orange peel matching.

John

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yes. What daltron said. Research body shops. Your car is NOT totalled. You want a shop that will replace fenders, door, quarter, etc. with OEM parts and use no filler anywhere. Most importantly, you need to find a shop with top notch painting skills. Good body work with a bad paint job will haunt you forever. It needs to look factory fresh after they're done with it - including color and orange peel matching.

John
Thanks guys. I have a good friend that works at a Chevy dealership with a body shop (Tom Henry) that does a lot of top notch custom work as well so I'll probably have them take it there to make sure it's put back to 100% as best as possible.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
No matter how good the body shop it will not match perfectly panel to panel. Body shop paint is actually going to be better, thicker. The color will be close, but the right light and good eyes will be able to tell, and the orange peel will not match. Just depends on how anal you are. lol

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Damn man. Glad everyone was OK, that could have been a lot worse for him.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As per my messages...........I'm so sorry to see this, Matt. However, I'm glad you and your wife are relatively unscathed.

Let's hope its either fixed or replaced as soon as possible and that you are 100% satisfied.

It's a real crappy start to GT ownership, but fingers crossed it will all work out.

Cheers
Paul

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Glad you and your wife are ok. I feel your pain. I had my EB hit while it was parked.

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
Look into Diminished Value. If your state has that, then use it as extra leverage to get it totaled.
Never thought about that. It may help OP out or anyone else this may happen to.

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
I'm not sure if this is right, because I see websites (solicited lawyers) claiming they can get you diminished value and here it states some of those states DO NOT have diminished value, but it's worth posting anyway. Maybe talk to your insurance agent about it.

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/diminution-of-value-in-all-50-states.pdf
for PA you may be in luck, though.
When the vehicle is not a total loss,, the plaintiff may recover (a) the
difference between the market value of the vehicle before the harm and the
value after the harm, or, at the plaintiff’s election, the reasonable cost of
repair or restoration where feasible, with due allowance for any difference
between the original value and the value after repairs, and (b) the loss of use.
Holt v. Pariser, 54 A.2d 89, 91 (Pa. Super. 1947); Horton v. Philadelphia Rapid
Transit Co., 94 Pa. Super. 553, 555-56 (Pa. 1928); Bauer v. Armour & Co., 84
Pa. Super. 174 (Pa. 1924).
Sponsored