Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
Big Moves

Start planning your 2017 vacation because Mustang Week has new dates

By Steve Turner
Since its inception Mustang Week has been held at the apex of the summer in the July heat, but coming in 2017 there are some big changes on the horizon for one of the premier Mustang events in the country. Not only will it be held later in the year next year, but the main events will also move to a larger facility.Mustang Week 2017 will be held later in the year in 2017, from September 4-10 2017, and the cruise-in and car show will be held at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, which hosted this year’s Meet ’N Greet.

“Upon returning from this year’s event, the Mustang Week Staff began working with the Myrtle Beach Convention Center to move our two largest events, Friday’s Car Show and Saturday’s Cruise-In, to that location,” Mustang Week’s Rodney Melton said in a letter to sponsors. “And, after some time and careful consideration, we have reached an agreement and our two main events will move there in 2017.”

Next year Mustang Week will start on Labor Day, September 4, and run through September 10. So, it will still be a summertime event, but later in the year when the temperatures and the crowds start to wane in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This will be first time going, im ok with the dates except it is in the middle of our company getting our SEMA booth stuff all done, but I can swing it hopefully

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Andddddddddd....

You just excluded most families with school age children.

Nice...

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This move has Pros/Cons.

Mustang Week was starting to get out of hand and I truly think this will be good for the Event.

OP
OP
Ricochet

Ricochet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
I like the dates better...less vacation traffic and cooler temps!

Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I like the dates better...less vacation traffic and cooler temps!

Cooler temps means more horsepower for youthful exuberance hahahah

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not only does it exclude families with children, it is right at the beginning of football season. That is a huge no-go for me! I have season tickets and also have kids in school.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Well, works for me. I will have just dropped my youngest off at college and it will be just me and the wife. :D

But yea, this takes the family factor out of it.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
This move has Pros/Cons.

Mustang Week was starting to get out of hand and I truly think this will be good for the Event.
I agree wholeheartedly. The temperature is usually about 10° cooler (on average) and a lot of the crowds will be dissipating. Hopefully, this will help cut back on the younger crowd getting crazy and doing stupid stuff.

yellowstangatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange Fury GT
They've made a statement on their FB page

In light of all the negative response, we feel that some explanation is in order. First, it was our original intention to hold Mustang Week 2017 at its regular time of year. Prior to our 2016 event we learned that the Myrtle Beach Mall may not be an option in 2017. The mall is going to undergo major renovations and the mall management recently let us know that we could not hold our two largest events there in 2017.

For more than ten years we have been searching for a suitable location to move those events. And, as we often tell people, if you can think of a place to hold those events, we have probably already looked into it multiple times and would have moved it already if it were feasible. We do not take this lightly. We work on Mustang Week all year long and have made many visits to the Myrtle Beach area to research all possible venues. There is SO much more that goes on behind the scenes that most would never imagine. We have learned a great deal over the past 15 years of planning our events.

In 2016 we thought we were going to be able to move our events to the old Myrtle Square Mall location. But the Myrtle Beach City Council shot us down. Why? Because they had seen all the videos online and on social media of people doing burnouts, etc, on public streets and in front of the mall. Those actions (the pullouts, burnouts, and fly-bys in front of the mall and at the meet-n-greet) basically ruined our chance to move to the old Myrtle Square Mall location. The Myrtle Beach City Council was very direct in pointing this out to us.

So, that brings us to 2017. Without the option to return to our current location (Myrtle Beach Mall), we looked at the available options. To keep the event in July meant moving the two primary events to undesirable locations with very uncertain availability. We researched those options thoroughly and decided they would not work.

We approached the Convention Center a few years back. It is very important that you all understand that the Myrtle Beach Convention Center is booked from April through August for about the next five years. The September 2017 was our best available option. It is still plenty warm for enjoying the beach while providing lighter traffic and lower rates. We discussed it for weeks and weighed every option. We have considered moving to the Convention Center for years. It offers very unique opportunities for our events. And honestly, it is the only venue that can properly handle our two largest events.

Again, we have explored all the options and talked about every scenario for participants. It is our hope that you consider all of hard work that goes into providing Mustang week before you toss out an unfounded and unwarranted negative response. We hope that you all understand that we are doing our best to make sure there is a 2017 Mustang Week for all to enjoy.

Thanks,

The Mustang Week Staff
Sponsored