Sponsored

Mustang Shelby FP350S Unveiled.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
It wasn't to start an argument about strength, simply a statement on what they told me when I asked for weights.
No argument here....just informing in regards to proper wheel choices and considerations for our applications.
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Interesting that they kept the stock camber links

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I wonder if since both this and the GT4 don't have revised rear facia/etc, if there won't be GT350 updates either.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I wonder if since both this and the GT4 don't have revised rear facia/etc, if there won't be GT350 updates either.
Possibly.....but I guess SEMA (GT4) and PRI (FP350S) were obvious places for these to be revealed as '17MY cars.

Only a few weeks to see what the '18MY offers us in terms of Mustangs, when they appear at Detroit. Will the GT350 be there............?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Possibly.....but I guess SEMA (GT4) and PRI (FP350S) were obvious places for these to be revealed as '17MY cars.

Only a few weeks to see what the '18MY offers us in terms of Mustangs, when they appear at Detroit. Will the GT350 be there............?
Fingers crossed we wont see a 350 there at all :D

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

These cars the GT4 and FP350S are Ford Performance products not Ford products. There is no correlation to model years for these Ford Performance cars, really Ford Performance (FP) is an aftermarket vendor with a fairly unique relationship with Ford Motor Co. in that it has access to the Ford parts bin at a very aggressive price. Ford Performance produces its products through various vendors of its own, In the case of these two cars they are using Watson Racing and Multimatic to develop the product to then market it.

These cars start as a body in white or lesser model S550's then FP hits the FoMoCo parts bins, next outside vendors for parts that are outside the FoMoCo parts limits, then off to another vendor for fabrication and assembly. All this is being done to produce a marketable product that they can then sell and presumably make a profit or loose just enough to warrant it as a marketing expense to sell other FP parts on the streets.

If Ford stops selling Mustangs all together as long as FP still has access to the FoMoCo parts bins they can continue to build these cars, if Ford makes a change and FP wants to add the new changes then they can, or they can stay as long as the old parts are still available.

Its great that something like this is available to someone who wants a turn key track or race car, but FP still has a long way to go on the development of these projects as they have not said that there is a definitive home for either of these cars in a race series and that can be a complicated process. I am sure FP will find a home for the cars as with Ford's backing they carry a bunch of leverage for all of these race series that struggle to attract competitive race teams.

Dave

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
These cars the GT4 and FP350S are Ford Performance products not Ford products. There is no correlation to model years for these Ford Performance cars, really Ford Performance (FP) is an aftermarket vendor with a fairly unique relationship with Ford Motor Co. in that it has access to the Ford parts bin at a very aggressive price. Ford Performance produces its products through various vendors of its own, In the case of these two cars they are using Watson Racing and Multimatic to develop the product to then market it.

These cars start as a body in white or lesser model S550's then FP hits the FoMoCo parts bins, next outside vendors for parts that are outside the FoMoCo parts limits, then off to another vendor for fabrication and assembly. All this is being done to produce a marketable product that they can then sell and presumably make a profit or loose just enough to warrant it as a marketing expense to sell other FP parts on the streets.

If Ford stops selling Mustangs all together as long as FP still has access to the FoMoCo parts bins they can continue to build these cars, if Ford makes a change and FP wants to add the new changes then they can, or they can stay as long as the old parts are still available.

Its great that something like this is available to someone who wants a turn key track or race car, but FP still has a long way to go on the development of these projects as they have not said that there is a definitive home for either of these cars in a race series and that can be a complicated process. I am sure FP will find a home for the cars as with Ford's backing they carry a bunch of leverage for all of these race series that struggle to attract competitive race teams.

Dave

Oh, I know how it works, and I've seen certain FP race cars being built :)

I guess my point was that the '18MY changes wouldn't debut with one of these "parts bin" (that sounds horribly derogatory, but you know what I mean) racers.....the full production cars will always come first.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Ford Performance (Formerly Ford Racing) is the high performance division of Ford Motor Company and the multinational name used for its motorsport and racing activity.......parent company Ford Motor Co
Taken directly from Wikipedia .

Last edited:

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Oh, I know how it works, and I've seen certain FP race cars being built :)

I guess my point was that the '18MY changes wouldn't debut with one of these "parts bin" (that sounds horribly derogatory, but you know what I mean) racers.....the full production cars will always come first.
In a way the retail success of the S550 has made the FP project viable but also forced them to wait quite a while to start the projects. It was not very long ago that FP was not sure that they were going to be able to purchase the Body in White's from FoMoCo that were needed to make a project like this work. Ford dealer sales was selling every body they could build and that meant there was no "left over" production for the parts bin.

Before the BIW's were available for race teams wanting to build their own cars FP was recommending buying V6 cars as your starting point and building from there.

Dave

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

Dave
Ford Performance is a little bigger than the department that you're describing.

"Ford Performance" is the umbrella name that now expands across all of the divisions from Ford Racing, SVT group, Team RS, Ford Parts, etc... It encompasses everything from NASCAR to drag racing, WEC, RallyCross, OEM cars (Ford GT, Focus RS, GT350, Raptor), to the parts bin. Instead of individual groups, it's all a single group with no more 'walls' between them: Ford Performance.

IIRC the GT4 follows global GT4 rules to be eligible worldwide, which rules are adopted to IMSA's CTSCC and PWC, while the FP350S fits (or will fit) the rules for Trans-Am, SCCA, NASA, and other 'club' level race series.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
IIRC the GT4 follows global GT4 rules to be eligible worldwide, which rules are adopted to IMSA's CTSCC and PWC, while the FP350S fits (or will fit) the rules for Trans-Am, SCCA, NASA, and other 'club' level race series.
The GT4 is an easier standard to build to as there is a known set of rules. The FP350S is going to be a harder deal for FP as SCCA, NASA, and Trans-Am all have their own rule books and always seem to be in a permanent state of flux. Unless they create a class for a spec series FP will have to build several variants of the FP350S to comply with each series. I guess they could always build to a standard and then advise the customer on the needed changes to comply to a given series. How ever they work it out I am just glad they are willing to do it.

Dave

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The GT4 is an easier standard to build to as there is a known set of rules. The FP350S is going to be a harder deal for FP as SCCA, NASA, and Trans-Am all have their own rule books and always seem to be in a permanent state of flux. Unless they create a class for a spec series FP will have to build several variants of the FP350S to comply with each series. I guess they could always build to a standard and then advise the customer on the needed changes to comply to a given series. How ever they work it out I am just glad they are willing to do it.

Dave
IMSA & PWC have their own 'balance of Performance's where they adjust weight, restrictor size, etc... to make the cars more even as they see fit. NASA, SCCA, and other clubs do the same so I don't see it being an issue. They will classify the FP350S appropriately and probably require some changes to better fit a given class. This is nothing new as new cars are released by manufacturers.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Adjustable rear toe link...

Custom valved strut, brake hardware, and ducting up front..

Sponsored