Sponsored

Mustang lights topic! Changing several of the lights, could use some help as usual.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
So first off, car is canadian so our DRLs are the fogs.

Could I first get a breakdown of what the stock lights are? Sizing and what not?

All I know/think so far is
Interior dome lights: ??
License plate lights: LEDs?
Fogs (canadian DRLs): halogens or LEDs?
Gills: LEDs
Headlamp: HIDs

I'm thinking of changing the interior dome lights to LEDs as they are VERY dim atm.

Also change fogs to HIDs.

Has anyone done either? And if so..how did they do it? I think you just need to pry the cover off the dome lights, but what size LEDs am I supposed to get?

Fogs looks quite more complicated...do I have to take off the whole front bumper? Anyone done either?
Sponsored

Ecobeast

GT owner now.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang GT
Diode dynamics has a full led replacement package, and videos on YouTube showing full installs.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
+1 on the Diode Dynamics dome lights - it is a monstrous upgrade over stock! The glove box is another good one, as well as the trunk. I did the vanity lights just to match.

The license plate lights are LED, as well as the fogs.

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
They had an "update" regarding their switchbacks.

[ame]

I wish these lights were standard on the 2015's. The incandescent bulbs seem kind of like an after-thought - the dev team spent so much time redesigning the headlights, taillights, and even the license plate lights, but glossed over the turn signals

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Oh forgot about the turn signals. What are the turn signals stock?

edit: i'm on diode dynamics site but only see interior lights.

edit 2!!!: oops ok, they're in the ecoboost section. am I right to assume this will work on the GT model?

Sponsored

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone I will probably most definitely order very soon.

Looks like I want everything. Does anyone have any pics of the turn signals at night? I'm wondering if the headlights and gills and turn signals will be too bright all together.

One more thing, regarding the license plate lights and fogs. Those are LEDs already right? If I wanted to change the color..should I wait for DD to make replacements? Or is that something I can buy from any hardware store. If so..what size are they or how do I find this out?

edit: also...why is the full LED replacement package more expensive than buying it individually? 10 + 12 + 6 + 2.50 = $30.50 vs $34 for the full replacement which is the same thing. 1 order of each right? dome light is listed as pair and vanity light listed as set (so I assume that means a set of four).

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
one more question: what is the color of the gills and HID headlamps. both 6000k? and what sizing. h11?

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
4300K for headlamp temperature and likely 4500K-5500K for the gills. The xenon capsules are D3S.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a guide somewhere on how to change the bulbs for the headlights/gills?

Also, can someone eli5 why it seems hard to change the fog lights? In the Diode dynamics topics around here, it's stated that they're working on fog replacements. We know the socket size. D11 or D13 I believe.

My question is, if we know the size of the socket/housing..whatever you call it, isn't it as simple as getting a bulb that'll fit and plug and play? Is it that simple for the headlights/gills?

Sponsored

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
I'm not sure how easy the access is for the headlamp bulbs, it may require the headlights to come out, it may not. The gills are LED and have no "bulbs" that you can replace. If you want to change the color, you'd have to open the headlights and replace the PCB board with the LEDs mounted to it. As far as I know, the fogs are also LED, not halogen, but there seems to be conflicting reports. Would you care to take pictures of your fog lights up close during the day as well as lit up at night?

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
here they are

http://imgur.com/a/9VKVK#rfs8gFT

I'm going to guess I can't show pictures if they're in album format?

edit: so what color would you say the headlights are. White? blue? 4300 eh? I might change it to 6000k or 8000k, really like a nice blue color.

Last edited:

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Well it sure does look like they are halogen. My guess would be H11.

The headlights are 4300K which is considered white with the slightest shift towards yellow. 5000K is pure white. Anything over that starts to get blue. I would definitely not recommend anything over 5500K. You'd be forced to use aftermarket bulbs to get those color temps and output will suffer greatly.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh? i've actually used lots of aftermarket bulbs on our cars. we used to buy and sell them. no issues with brightness so far.

what color are america mustang fogs? amber to match the turn signal area?

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Comparative to an OEM 4300K, an aftermarket 6000K will have a noticeable loss in luminosity. 8000K is even worse still. The more color you have, the less effective lumens hit the road. Depending on the quality of the bulbs, they can suffer from alignment issues which distorts the beam pattern from the shifted hot spot. They can also suffer from poor quality materials like the bulb bases themselves or in the case of the D3S, poor ignitor quality. Not to mention of course the wild differences in actual color temperature vs what's advertised.

The fogs used in America are LED and are likely in the 4500K-5500K range. I've heard some owners say they don't quite exactly match the OEM xenons.
Sponsored