Mustang digital steering cluster steering wheel install

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
I was installing my new digital cluster and came across and issue that wasn’t really addressed in videos. The videos everyone just pieced the buttons on and turn the car on and it works fine like the 2018+ buttons for a 2016 mustang. However I attempted this my cluster is working not everything perfectly yet. The buttons are still the opposites sides so the new volume is still the arrow buttons and the new store button is really the volume still. My horse button to get to the cluster settings doesn’t work at all. The rpm gauge doesn’t work just the speedometer. Can’t change the drive mode or the type of cluster showing or colors. I wasn’t sure if I need new wire dongles to extend them to the correct sides to to take it apart and swap them or if the system needed an update somehow. It also says a lot of things aren’t avail about like front camera I think it’s for a newer model how can I get rid of things like that make it work perfect for my 2016 ecoboost.
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I was installing my new digital cluster and came across and issue that wasn’t really addressed in videos. The videos everyone just pieced the buttons on and turn the car on and it works fine like the 2018+ buttons for a 2016 mustang. However I attempted this my cluster is working not everything perfectly yet. The buttons are still the opposites sides so the new volume is still the arrow buttons and the new store button is really the volume still. My horse button to get to the cluster settings doesn’t work at all. The rpm gauge doesn’t work just the speedometer. Can’t change the drive mode or the type of cluster showing or colors. I wasn’t sure if I need new wire dongles to extend them to the correct sides to to take it apart and swap them or if the system needed an update somehow. It also says a lot of things aren’t avail about like front camera I think it’s for a newer model how can I get rid of things like that make it work perfect for my 2016 ecoboost.
You need to program your SCCM and IPC to the correct values for everything to work properly.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You sound like you went into this without doing the research. If you are good at using computers you can do this yourself no problem. .if you don't know how to do this then you should contact breeves and pay him to buy the build file for this cluster to work in your car.

Sponsored

LoudGT_IN

Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You need to code the changes with forscan for the buttons to work correctly

2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide
OP, there is a spreadsheet link in this guide. You need to customize the As-Built Data at the bottom with all the options listed at the top of the sheet. You need to do this for the SCCM (this is what will flip your buttons to correct positions) and the IPC (for mileage and the MyColor settings)

OP
OP

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
You need to code the changes with forscan for the buttons to work correctly

2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide
Do I just need to code or is there anything else I need to do? I seen somewhere about where I’m supposed to change the signal light and window wiper button thing for some reason but I don’t think I would have to do I?

OP
OP

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
To add on to this, you also have to change the SCCM behind the steering wheel itself too. Make sure you did that too and not just the buttons themselves.
What’s the reason?

OP
OP

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
You sound like you went into this without doing the research. If you are good at using computers you can do this yourself no problem. .if you don't know how to do this then you should contact breeves and pay him to buy the build file for this cluster to work in your car.
How do I contact him?

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the reason?
It's one of the required components of the swap on a 15-17 car. I'd guess it might have something to do with how it reads the signals from the steering wheel inputs, but I don't really know.

LoudGT_IN

Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
What’s the reason?
It sounds like you may have missed some steps. Did you follow everything in the linked guide, including purchasing of all parts? I did this on my 2015 and you must follow all steps.

The piece that has the windshield wiper / headlight switches on it (SCCM/clockspring) MUST be replaced for 15-17 vehicles.

on the guide it states “The instrument cluster will work with your old switches/sccm but you will not be able to access any of the menu’s to set custom gauges. You’ll only have trip/fuel economy/tire pressure.”

it makes all the work in installing the digital dash useless if you don’t get all the parts. You can’t flip through any menus or properly program the new buttons with Forscan without the new clockspring.

go back through the guide step by step and ensure you have acquired all the parts and done it as listed. It’s a really good step by step guide.

OP
OP

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
It sounds like you may have missed some steps. Did you follow everything in the linked guide, including purchasing of all parts? I did this on my 2015 and you must follow all steps.

The piece that has the windshield wiper / headlight switches on it (SCCM/clockspring) MUST be replaced for 15-17 vehicles.

on the guide it states “The instrument cluster will work with your old switches/sccm but you will not be able to access any of the menu’s to set custom gauges. You’ll only have trip/fuel economy/tire pressure.”

it makes all the work in installing the digital dash useless if you don’t get all the parts. You can’t flip through any menus or properly program the new buttons with Forscan without the new clockspring.

go back through the guide step by step and ensure you have acquired all the parts and done it as listed. It’s a really good step by step guide.
Ok thanks I will Purchase the last part and fix the issue, though I still want to know why the clock spring affects the buttons from properly working with the clock spring. Any one know? Also if my cluster was originally for a Mustang with lane assist and exhaust noted can I still remove those alerts with forescan?

LoudGT_IN

Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Ok thanks I will Purchase the last part and fix the issue, though I still want to know why the clock spring affects the buttons from properly working with the clock spring. Any one know? Also if my cluster was originally for a Mustang with lane assist and exhaust noted can I still remove those alerts with forescan?
The clockspring has two purposes. One is to provide constant power to the airbag, even when the wheel is turned, in event of a crash so it can deploy. The second purpose is it houses the SCCM, Steering Column Control Module. This module is very important, it controls all the buttons on your steering wheel, the wiper/light knots that are attached, as well as relays the current position of the steering wheel to other modules like the ECM to aid with things like traction control. It also has the ability for the auto wipe sensors in the new cars.

Once you swap the part, it has the ability to not control all the buttons and relay the correct communication with the new 18+ IPC, HOWEVER, you have to go into Forscan and replace your old 2016 code with the new code. This then tells the new SCCM, “hey, these button locations are new and have been remapped, here are any new features you may have”. After programming all your buttons are mapped to the new 18+ layout and the most important new button, the pony button, will allow you to configure the new IPC (digital dash).

Edit:
also yes you will use Forscan to program every feature your current car has. It’s important to follow the spreadsheet, copy the sample ABD for the IPC and SCCM and then go through to change the code based off of your cars functions. Make sure you get a copy of your cars current ABD because I think you use a large part of that for the SCCM reprogramming
Sponsored