Sponsored

Muffler failure not covered by Premium care extended warranty?

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I've got a 2017 GT350R with 16k miles now that's making a strange sound for ~1 sec immediately after each shift (but no other occasions). It's not a rattle or something loose, the valves are working fine, but with valves open it sounds like "throat clearing burble/cough" for ~1 sec after each gear shift before the open valve exhaust note sounds normal again. It is getting quite annoying to hear but otherwise still drives fine. I took it to the dealer (for my 4th starter among a few other covered items like a bad O2 sensor and loose shifter knob cover), but they said the noise is from the muffler's internals failing and it's not covered under my PremiumCare warranty sold by Ford when I bought the car new. They quoted two new mufflers (considering they include the valves) are nearly $5,000.

Obviously I can source a used pair of mufflers (and probably only need one although that'll be hard to find and also diagnose which one is failing) and DIY this for much cheaper, but wanted to check if anyone has any ideas first? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like mufflers are listed as covered items in the 8yr PremiumCare extended warranty I bought from what I see: https://www.floodfordesp.com/premiumcare.php#Emissions . I am also unaware of any federal emissions law that covers mufflers, as that is for cats I believe.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!
Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Thanks. I see single used mufflers on ebay for $250 without tips (which I presume I can re-use) and about $400-$500 for a pair is probably the route I'll end up going if I can't figure something else out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285120549737?hash=item4262825369:g:YUsAAOSwGuRj0B8s&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0P5gz07vK3kxpau6p8eQ9QFgOB34HDXl+gUcdEbXGVPQJ+bkzwihyXmjmSiEX27jphl8e8DpbAO79cQyFCSMViVUy6qR0NgaMScuBbxpfj9eNsN49PpeSmC82+yMQkEQuSHE1xBITBF7mTXtUZ508S1CQb8wlHy2ajI9AFCsfmZOs2w7YbGSyAdfbTBAwHnFGTTbYVfXI4CWFnAoN04kQqYz4JeIsy+hjD78eZV26K4JqE5G5vxyBVx1kwrVSVxIxOuWcJBRtbKWOM1LEfJzpPo=|tkp:Bk9SR5j05d6xYg

I'm not sure how I'll ever figure out which muffler is making the noise, but maybe the dealer can somehow.

I'm also not interested in after market options that are more expensive, the R sounds insane as is and is one of the very very few cars I don't feel a need to improve the exhaust on. Sadly, this is the one I have a failed exhaust on lol.

Sponsored

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Why not consider the FP/Borla offerings? They use a premium stainless at a much more reasonable price.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
You guys are over thinking it:

1690323490924.png

A little bit of mid-seventies common sense solution.

THRUSH AD DISCLAIMER
This ad pre-dates Un-leaded Fuel... consult your local O'Rielly's Gen Z expert for advice.

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Take it to the track for a few sessions. It will either fix the problem, or make it worse and easier to diagnose. :like: :giggle:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I've got a 2017 GT350R with 16k miles now that's making a strange sound for ~1 sec immediately after each shift (but no other occasions). It's not a rattle or something loose, the valves are working fine, but with valves open it sounds like "throat clearing burble/cough" for ~1 sec after each gear shift before the open valve exhaust note sounds normal again. It is getting quite annoying to hear but otherwise still drives fine. I took it to the dealer (for my 4th starter among a few other covered items like a bad O2 sensor and loose shifter knob cover), but they said the noise is from the muffler's internals failing and it's not covered under my PremiumCare warranty sold by Ford when I bought the car new. They quoted two new mufflers (considering they include the valves) are nearly $5,000.

Obviously I can source a used pair of mufflers (and probably only need one although that'll be hard to find and also diagnose which one is failing) and DIY this for much cheaper, but wanted to check if anyone has any ideas first? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like mufflers are listed as covered items in the 8yr PremiumCare extended warranty I bought from what I see: https://www.floodfordesp.com/premiumcare.php#Emissions . I am also unaware of any federal emissions law that covers mufflers, as that is for cats I believe.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!
Might be covered by emissions warranty.? It may still be considered a “part” of the emissions system. Noise is an emission. :wink:

Last edited:

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The only emissions a muffler can change are noise emissions.
It’s controlling an emission isn’t it? If an emissions system is under warranty and a muffler is controlling an emission, which in this case is noise, then unless expressly excluded maybe worth a shot.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
What exactly is covered by the Ford ESP? Just took my wife's Explorer in because the battery kept dying... there was some electronic module that failed and was causing a drain on the battery... that wasn't covered either... 2020 with 40k miles.. 8 year 125k miles warranty...

Starting to get worried...

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Check the Owner's Manual to verify if mufflers are covered by the Emission Warranty.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
You should hear which has loose internals if you smack each muffler with a rubber mallet.
Sponsored