MPSS vs MP4S in the wet

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
The P Zero's are about done at the back of my GT and yesterday, I had a rather nasty experience coming off a round about on the A11.

Whilst in "Wet Mode" and accelerating (sensibly) the back end stepped out at 50MPH badly enough that I almost cr*pped myself and the chap behind me anchored up) and I had to spend a few minutes recomposing myself.

So new boots time it is

My local trusted suppliers (SE Tyres) can only find one MP4S from their suppliers (I'm unsure how far they've looked - and they are now looking further afield for me as I'm a regular customer), but MPSS are available.

The Stang is mainly used for High Days and Holidays and it's not driven mega "hard" as I have a speed limited in the passenger seat, but if it has to get wet it will.

@Gobbo205 wrote:

I actually prefer the subjective feel of MPSS, there is more feedback, dry performance seems identical but in the wet the PS4S do hold on better than MPSS, but on the flip side the MPSS inspire a touch more confidence. Either PS4S or MPSS both are a definite upgrade over old Pzero and newer PZ4 variant especially in typical UK driving conditions, WET and COLD!
Assuming that I'm not driving it like I stole it, how much better (in the wet) is the MP4S over the MPSS?

I realise that either will be an upgrade over the Zero's but if I have to hang on for 2 MP4S's then I will. Annoyingly, I have 6mm tread on the front end of the car, so can't (at the moment) justify throwing them away

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Gibbo's view on the MP4S' is based on the non mustang specific tyre, there is now a Mustang Specific variant in 275 and 255 by 40/19 sizes. However these aren't readily available just yet as they're a MY18 specific tyre.

The MPSS vs the MP4S I can't comment on, I've never driven the p4S in the wet, I've driven my car under boost around many corners (and roundabouts) in sport and it's been fine.

I don't think you'll personally see a difference between the two.

Once thing I will note, is the automatic (if you have that), doesn't bode well in the wet as it constantly attempts to change gears to suit driving style and actually (I felt when I had an auto gt for a few days), makes driving a lot different, and you need to let the car control you.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Gibbo's view on the MP4S' is based on the non mustang specific tyre, there is now a Mustang Specific variant in 275 and 255 by 40/19 sizes. However these aren't readily available just yet as they're a MY18 specific tyre.
I have PS4S's fitted all round on stock wheels in stock sizes and so do quite a few others judging by how much stock there was and fast they sold out. The tyre codes show they are made in the USA. I don't drive much in the wet so sorry can't answer your question but can confirm they are much better in the cold than the Pzero's. Worlds apart.

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] is the probably the best person to answer

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks [MENTION=20131]Manders Mustang[/MENTION]

I don't think I will either, but thought I'd get some more feedback, especially as I know there are some ho have their 'stangs as Daily Drives.

Mine's a manual and in the torrential rain we had for a bit yesterday on the A11, I was being most careful with both right foot and clutch work.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Get the PS4S, the correct ones which are now available are a very good wet tyre, massive upgrade over Pzero PZ4 and better than MPSS.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
MP4 is slightly better in the went. Dry between the two is largely the same; the margin of difference is so small it's stupid to worry about it. That's the conclusion of my research. Consider the Conti Sports - wonderful tire, costs less, and basically equal to the MPSS.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
MP4 is slightly better in the went. Dry between the two is largely the same; the margin of difference is so small it's stupid to worry about it. That's the conclusion of my research. Consider the Conti Sports - wonderful tire, costs less, and basically equal to the MPSS.
Conti last not as long though, not close, got a few mates who went to those after MPSS, they went back MPSS and now onto PS4S. :)
Conti performed as well, but lasted about half the distance, some of the driving was on track which really wore them much quicker than MPSS or PS4S.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have MP4S's fitted all round on stock wheels in stock sizes and so do quite a few others
Yeah, I've seen some reports on facebook they're not as easy to get a hold of as other brands are. However, that said, if you have the mustang specific ones, I hear they're quite good, but personally can't comment on them vs the MPSSs.
[MENTION=25216]Mike Clark[/MENTION] torrential rains awful... I daily mine, albeit it's an EB, and equally I run 275's square (which isn't as good in the wet as ideally you want a staggered setup for wet driving), however, it's still insane. Was torrential this morning and at no point did I feel a loss of grip etc on the car.

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
I've had mps4s on mine for over a year now and have driven it all over the winter in monsoon type conditions at times and these tyres have never let me down. Puddles, standing water all sorts. They've always stayed true and given me confidence in corners and roundabouts and have never stepped out.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Even Pzeros are fine in the wet with plenty of tread. Remember - warm and wet = good, cold and wet = bad.

Had MPSS on the rear since the Pzeros wore out at 16k miles. Up to 35k now and they're just starting to get a bit twitchy when it's really pouring down. Had to change the fronts recently after pothole damage and couldn't get MPSS or PS4S for love nor money (at least next day) so went with the Continentals. So far so good.

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Once thing I will note, is the automatic (if you have that), doesn't bode well in the wet as it constantly attempts to change gears to suit driving style and actually (I felt when I had an auto gt for a few days), makes driving a lot different, and you need to let the car control you.
S'fine in Sport with the paddles. Used "rain and snow mode" once when I first got the thing but didn't use it again until it snowed this year. Useless at that as well. MPSS or no it didn't manage to get through 2" of snow on my drive before it got stuck (and the drive is only 6m long..)

OP
OP

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just had a call from type place, the “std” 275/40/R19 MP4S is not in stock anywhere in Europe that can get hold of and Michelin have said there is a rough 8-10 week lead time for general availability

I’ve given them the Ford specific part number too and they will have a search for that.

Looks like a set of MPSS is in order

Mike

Last edited:

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I'm very happy with my MPSS, as are a lot of people on here I think. They've been on for 8 months. 8,000 miles and a track day and have never left me feeling unsafe. They have good feel. When they run out there's the PS4S to change to, but I'm in no hurry now. I have Michelin Alpins for winter, but that's largely due to living down a farm track which is all but impassable with snow on. If you don't live life on the edge I doubt that extra 5-10% on the new tyre will come into play much at all.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Wet/snow mode is just a gimmick and maybe even dangerous as gives people a false sense of security.
Sponsored