MPG under engine break

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Not necessary.
Engines actually run more efficiently at mid range rpm than lower rpm. You spend more time at lower rpm where mid range rpm will accelerate you faster.
Avoid braking and follow the flow of traffic gets you better gas millage than short shifting.
He was going down hill using engine braking so it could be 6000rpm and the injectors should not inject any gas.
whatever works for you. keeping RPMs low during acceleration gets me best mileage.

i wasn't referring to engine braking and DFCO, if you check my previous post you only need to take RPMs over 1700 to engage DFCO....so yes, 3000 or 6000 will also allow DFCO.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lazibayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
if you are running up to 3000 RPM and expecting good mileage you might be disappointed....
I was referring to the requirement for DFCO. When rolling downhill at 30mph in 2nd gear the RPM stays above 3000, so DFCO should be engaged as my foot isn't touching the gas pedal.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was referring to the requirement for DFCO. When rolling downhill at 30mph in 2nd gear the RPM stays above 3000, so DFCO should be engaged as my foot isn't touching the gas pedal.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't put too much stock in the mpg reading during DFCO. My GF had a Lexus IS300 when they first came out and the gauge showed 70 mpg on DFCO.

We always got a good laugh as that car never got better than 22 m.p.g in town. i.e a NA inline 6 cyl. with a whopping 215 hp.:D

OP
OP

lazibayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I understand what you are saying, but I don't put too much stock in the mpg reading during DFCO. My GF had a Lexus IS300 when they first came out and the gauge showed 70 mpg on DFCO.

We always got a good laugh as that car never got better than 22 m.p.g in town. i.e a NA inline 6 cyl. with a whopping 215 hp.:D
IS300 is a good car, and 22 local mpg isn't bad for a sporty sedan came out 15yrs ago. I almost got a used one myself if it hadn't been sold before I got there.
I am just curious why my stang is showing a high gas burning rate while DFCO should have kicked in. It's either an algorithmic error or for performance-oriented concerns if every other owner is getting the same result.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Push in the clutch and you'll see an improvement going downhill.

Also, please learn the difference between break and brake.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Actually no in that situation engine uses fuel to keep idle and he would have to ride the brakes to keep the speed.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
whatever works for you. keeping RPMs low during acceleration gets me best mileage.

i wasn't referring to engine braking and DFCO, if you check my previous post you only need to take RPMs over 1700 to engage DFCO....so yes, 3000 or 6000 will also allow DFCO.
I get identical gas millage if I hyper-mile or drive normally. Now if you are just pedal to the metal all the time, its gonna a little different.

OP
OP

lazibayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Sorry English isn't my first language :headbonk:Now I am unable to change the topic... What a shame...

OP
OP

lazibayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have cleared the suspicion out. It was simply caused by cold engine.
Back in October when temperature was mild I didn't have the patience to wait for my car to fully warm up, and the slope is located quite close to where I live, so the engine was fairly cold when going down the slope. I reckon DFCO didn't engage because the computer wanted to finish warming up the engine.
Now in freezing snowy January I wait until the RPM drops to 600, and every time DFCO kicks in on the same slope and MPG shows 40+. By the way, now I can tell there is a significant difference in engine / exhaust tone before and after fuel cut off.
Sponsored