Sponsored

Mishimoto Oil Cooler Installed

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I decided to finally install my Mishimoto Oil Cooler. Overall, the installation went well and the fitment of everything makes sense. I would have really preferred pre-bent hoses, because these metal mesh hoses are extremely abrasive to everything they touch. I will be putting split loom over all of them, which I think will be helpful for long-term reliability, too. I had to tilt the Mishimoto oil filter sandwich plate a little more downward than their installation video implies, but I have a Steeda sway bar there so, to be expected. No leaks, which I was happy to (not) see. I do wish the sandwich plate wouldn't rotate when you torque the bolt that holds it in down. I feel like there could have been some detents or standoffs CNC'd into the design to lock it against something, but oh well. Mishimoto's install video didn't mention you need to remove the two black metal brackets that PP cars have to install the replacement air diverter panel thing that holes the actual oil cooler radiator - wasn't a big deal. You'll need to be careful that the line behind the actual oil cooler radiator thing doesn't interfere with the underside of the hood latch. I kind of wish they provided an oil line that would follow along behind the front bumper crash beam like the wiring harness that's there does, and then come upward to connect to the coil cooler. Or put both oil cooler connections on one side (if possible). There's always ways to make things better, I guess. For what I paid for this (much less than new; bought it off a guy who didn't want to go through with it), it's good stuff.

Hopefully over time it does not develop leaks or problems. It better not.

Oh, and I also installed a 170* thermostat, Ford Performance tow hook (what a bitch that is!), and did a coolant flush at the same time. Coolant that was in there looked fine but I do track the car so I'd rather flush it early. Took me a while to get heat back in the car, but just had to do some high idles. And I installed an oil temp sensor into the sandwich plate, but I didn't get a photo. I will when I do the wiring for my gauge cluster I'm adding soon.

39128744504_5bce9b7d1b_k.jpg

39806518292_7274b841af_b.jpg

39806179672_e3696ed67a_k.jpg

24968182177_118528a9fe_k.jpg

24968175157_e46ae32fdf_k.jpg

38939600405_24d3c1506a_k.jpg

This is what you end up removing from the car:

39128648324_3c76435941_b.jpg
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
How easy is it to access the oil filter?

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Same as usual. Sandwich plate doesn't take up any more room than the OEM oil cooler that was removed.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I wish they made a relocation kit in addition to this, or as part of it.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There is a relocation kit available somewhere on this forum. Can't remember who.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I just wish that you could get the whole kit combined through one vendor in order to save money.. I am not a big fan of the other vendor and some of their scare tactics, so I don't typically give them my business.. :-) I just don't like the sales pitch of... Buy our part, or your engine will blow up!! Ha ha!

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Frankly, I'm baffled why Ford didn't make the Coyote and Voodoo have a top-side access cartridge oil filter design similar to what Mercedes has been doing for ages. Then you just suck the oil out and change the filter without having to deal with jacking up the car and the mess. But... naturally it's cheaper to do it the way they did and people would just complain that they have to buy a oil sucker-outer if they did that.

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I decided to finally install my Mishimoto Oil Cooler. Overall, the installation went well and the fitment of everything makes sense. I would have really preferred pre-bent hoses, because these metal mesh hoses are extremely abrasive to everything they touch. I will be putting split loom over all of them, which I think will be helpful for long-term reliability, too. I had to tilt the Mishimoto oil filter sandwich plate a little more downward than their installation video implies, but I have a Steeda sway bar there so, to be expected. No leaks, which I was happy to (not) see. I do wish the sandwich plate wouldn't rotate when you torque the bolt that holds it in down. I feel like there could have been some detents or standoffs CNC'd into the design to lock it against something, but oh well. Mishimoto's install video didn't mention you need to remove the two black metal brackets that PP cars have to install the replacement air diverter panel thing that holes the actual oil cooler radiator - wasn't a big deal. You'll need to be careful that the line behind the actual oil cooler radiator thing doesn't interfere with the underside of the hood latch. I kind of wish they provided an oil line that would follow along behind the front bumper crash beam like the wiring harness that's there does, and then come upward to connect to the coil cooler. Or put both oil cooler connections on one side (if possible). There's always ways to make things better, I guess. For what I paid for this (much less than new; bought it off a guy who didn't want to go through with it), it's good stuff.

Hopefully over time it does not develop leaks or problems. It better not.

Oh, and I also installed a 170* thermostat, Ford Performance tow hook (what a bitch that is!), and did a coolant flush at the same time. Coolant that was in there looked fine but I do track the car so I'd rather flush it early. Took me a while to get heat back in the car, but just had to do some high idles. And I installed an oil temp sensor into the sandwich plate, but I didn't get a photo. I will when I do the wiring for my gauge cluster I'm adding soon.
How's it holding up? Did you see a difference in coolant temp running on track? What oil temp gauge did you go with and what temps on track?

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
looks good, I'm considering getting a cooler to combat the Florida heat.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
looks good, I'm considering getting a cooler to combat the Florida heat.
I'm gonna go with the mishi cooler whenever I decide to do a track day

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
How's it holding up? Did you see a difference in coolant temp running on track? What oil temp gauge did you go with and what temps on track?
Haven't been on track yet with this. Won't for a little while.

Between the hot and cold side of the sandwich plate on the street I see up to a 40* drop. I am using Glowshift gauges in a S197 Boss pod on the dash. You can see that somewhere in the later pages of my build log.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm gonna go with the mishi cooler whenever I decide to do a track day
You don't need a cooler to do a track day. Run Liqui Moly 5W40 oil at the track (was fine for me on the street, too). Oil cooler is really only necessary if you actually get yourself into the red in oil temps. Unless you're advanced, you probably won't get there. Better off letting the car run after you finish your session for about 3 minutes to let it cool itself down with the fans. Don't just shut the car right off once you get back to your paddock spot.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
You don't need a cooler to do a track day. Run Liqui Moly 5W40 oil at the track (was fine for me on the street, too). Oil cooler is really only necessary if you actually get yourself into the red in oil temps. Unless you're advanced, you probably won't get there. Better off letting the car run after you finish your session for about 3 minutes to let it cool itself down with the fans. Don't just shut the car right off once you get back to your paddock spot.
I will likely bump up to 5w30 as even during fun runs at an autocross, Temps would start to get up there. Overall just want to improve cooling while also keeping the oil closer to oem weights.

I really wish I could get the difference temp sensor of the 2016s, also wish here were more diff cooling options. Hate adding weight lol

Thanks for the tips on keeping the engine running...perhaps that will help during fun runs as well

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Haven't been on track yet with this. Won't for a little while.

Between the hot and cold side of the sandwich plate on the street I see up to a 40* drop. I am using Glowshift gauges in a S197 Boss pod on the dash. You can see that somewhere in the later pages of my build log.
Nice build, just looked at it.
Sponsored