Sponsored

Mishimoto’s 2015+ Mustang GT Performance Intake R&D - NOW RELEASED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
subd
Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hi,

Product looks great! Question: can a paper filter be used with this kit? I do understand the benefits of an oiled filter, but I don't want to deal with the cleaning and oiling of cloth filter elements. Will the paper filter degrade the design/flow of your system?

Thanks!

PS, I used to use K&N air filters when I rode sportbikes - it was a PIA to wash and oil 4 filters every month!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hi,

Product looks great! Question: can a paper filter be used with this kit? I do understand the benefits of an oiled filter, but I don't want to deal with the cleaning and oiling of cloth filter elements. Will the paper filter degrade the design/flow of your system?

Thanks!

PS, I used to use K&N air filters when I rode sportbikes - it was a PIA to wash and oil 4 filters every month!!
Thanks! We will supply this kit with an oiled filter, pre-oiled with the correct amount of oil for the filter, so you won't have to worry about doing anything else but installing the intake kit. Also, our kit is a fully enclosed system, so the heat shield keeps the filter more protected from debris compared to an open filter design. However, maintenance is definitely required, so a paper filter can work if you can find the correct size, but we did all of our testing with an oiled filter. Just be sure to keep that in mind when considering performance, although the differences will most likely be minute.

For off-road applications, dry filters absolutely have the advantage for the exact reason you just said, the maintenance is just way easier! Funny thing, we just wrote a technical article on our Engineering Blog about Oiled vs Dry Filters! Check it out!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
2015+ Ford Mustang GT Performance Intake, Part 4: Seeing is Believing

As 2016 approaches its end, I can’t help but reminisce. It’s been a wild ride and a lot has changed. We have a new president-elect, the Olympics took place in Brazil, Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint, Ryan Lochte lied about being robbed at gunpoint, and Leo finally got his Oscar. You know what hasn’t changed? Our resolve to make awesome parts for our automotive community.

It was May 3 when we announced that we were going to make an intake for the 2015 Ford Mustang GT. I know it feels like the updates for this project have been trickling in at a slow pace, but quality takes time. In our last update, we went through the rigorous testing our prototype endured, including pressure drop, dyno and road testing, so we could be confident in our results. The production sample has finally arrived at our R&D facility and it looks great. Our lead engineer has installed a finished production kit on our GT, so let’s check it out!

ycahv.jpg

I know some of you have been itching to get updates about this project. Some of you had no doubt how nice kit would come out, based on what the prototype looked like. Well, it’s here now, fully dressed and ready for the Mustang Ball. In this photo, we’ve paired our S550 with the black powder-coated box and a black silicone intake hose. The box will stay black in color as the powder-coating helps with heat, but the silicone hose will come in black, red and blue.

73krxh.jpg

The hose will be made of a sturdy, five ply silicone, reinforced with steel wire to prevent any misshaping under vacuum. Notice the silver piece on the side of the hose? That is a block-off plate for the sound tube delete. We took note of those who desired to get rid of the sound tube, so we will include one of these plates in every kit to give you the option to delete the tube if you so please. But, the hose will be a direct fit for those who want to keep the tube.

259x4so.jpg

What I really like about this kit is how nicely the airbox contours to the shapes of the factory pieces in the engine bay. The pieces not only fit together, they go nicely with the lines of the GT. It almost looks like it’s supposed to be there. Wait, it is supposed to be there! Also, take notice of the mass airflow (MAF) sensor housing. In our prototype, we used an aluminum piece, but that won’t do for this kit. This MAF housing is made with glass-reinforced, injection-molded plastic, which will combat heat more efficiently than that metal housing.

2mg37o.jpg

Let’s not forget the performance this intake brings to the table. We squeezed a total of 19 extra ponies and about 23 ft-lbs of torque out of our GT across the usable powerband, making this kit a formidable upgrade. Our S550 now has a more noticeable growl underneath the hood. This intake gives the Coyote V8 a deeper and throatier tone, really enhancing the sound. But, that’s enough from me. Let’s see some more shots of it!

o5qst0.jpg

s66ecm.jpg

What's Next

21oau87.jpg

We are close to getting these kits completed and ready to be shipped to our warehouse. We are hustling to get these kits ready for pre-sale soon, so keep an eye out for that! I hope you enjoyed checking out the new intake. Stay tuned for more!

-Diamaan

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looks fantastic!

Sponsored

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
Sub'd

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Clean and neat...looks lovely to me!

The branded sound tube delete it's a nice touch...very detail oriented. The airbox looks like it fits well and get rid of that small piece of chassis that sticks out.

Now, what do we do with all the space left behind the airbox?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Looks fantastic!
thats the best looking intake out! nice work guys!
Thanks guys! :cheers:

Clean and neat...looks lovely to me!

The branded sound tube delete it's a nice touch...very detail oriented. The airbox looks like it fits well and get rid of that small piece of chassis that sticks out.

Now, what do we do with all the space left behind the airbox?
Thanks! We were aiming for a clean and neat design. Simplifying what goes on under the hood is never a bad thing, and this intake does that nicely compared to the stock system - extra space just means more room for activities!

Are you guys talking about the girl or the intake?:lol:
:D

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet. I like this quite a bit.

• There were some changes between your prototype and your production model. Will you be rerunning all the tests again to ensure there are no changes?
  • Any ballpark pricing for this? Needs to start the fundraising. Side note, I am taking donations for those feeling the holiday spirit :D

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Sweet. I like this quite a bit.

• There were some changes between your prototype and your production model. Will you be rerunning all the tests again to ensure there are no changes?
  • Any ballpark pricing for this? Needs to start the fundraising. Side note, I am taking donations for those feeling the holiday spirit :D
Great question! Once the rest of the intake kit arrived at our facility, we had a few of our employees who have longer treks to the office take the car home for several days. This was more than enough road testing to be sure there would be no changes in performance or dreaded codes thrown. If there were, we'd of course have to throw our S550 on the dyno to re-run some tests and further analysis to see what was going on. All systems have been a go since our road testing, so that marks the end of R&D for it!

A fully painted box, finished silicone and a MAF housing made of different material were all minor changes. None of these updates were really major, nor did we make any that would seriously affect performance. Their served purpose was to give the product a finished look from what you all saw with the prototype and tighten a few things up. The prototype that had a performance increase of 19hp and 23ft-lbs is what this finished product is based off of, so that's what everyone will experience in terms of performance.

I'm glad you like it! This kit really came out nice and it's great that you guys agree. Pricing information and all of relevant information will be released when the presale starts, which we are hustling to make live soon. Stay tuned for that!

ImSlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Status
Not open for further replies.