Sponsored

Microfiber cloths leaving residue on windshield -Help!

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
I ordered some of the Ultimate Cloths I saw on another thread. Amazon has them. They are different than microfibre and only need to be wet with water, and squeezed almost dry to use. If you do it right, no streaks. Washable and supposed to last 5 years. About $6 apiece.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Cloth-Mirafiber-EcoFriendly-Multi-Surface/dp/B00EZRY7YY

This works very well, is cheap and requires only water. No lint, no streaks, no special cleaners....A no-brainer. :cool:

It also cleans mirrors, dusts the dash, etc.
Sponsored

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I've tried many different Window Towels from several of the usual online stores. None worked to my satisfaction. The same for window cleaner.
I recently read on this forum somewhere that the best cleaner is Sprayway. I think it is.
I also bought some Gerber cloth diapers.I know zero about diapering babies but they dont seem like they would be all that good.However they are totally lint free and really,really clean windows. I spray the diapers with the cleaner and then wipe the windows.The Sprayway seems to be easier that way.
This combo is the best I have tried. The newspaper quit working years ago when they changed the ink so it wouldnt get your hands black when reading.Prior to that it would shine your windows.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
OP's towels have either been washed with a different fiber (cotton terry) and picked up the fine fibers or washed with fabric softener.

Never do either of those. Throw away MF towels that have been mistreated this way.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
OP's towels have either been washed with a different fiber (cotton terry) and picked up the fine fibers or washed with fabric softener.

Never do either of those. Throw away MF towels that have been mistreated this way.
Nope. I know better. I've been washing micro fiber towels for a few years now.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Cloth-Mirafiber-EcoFriendly-Multi-Surface/dp/B00EZRY7YY

This works very well, is cheap and requires only water. No lint, no streaks, no special cleaners....A no-brainer. :cool:

It also cleans mirrors, dusts the dash, etc.
Just did my windshield again with these. I have washed these cloths with other white stuff, so they got bleached too. Now I just use a water spray bottle on windshield and wipe with these. Don't even have to do the wet wring thing. Works perfect. No streaks or lint, and no cleaner residue whatsoever. Also works good on mirrors and general dust on plastic items. This is a very simple solution that actually seems to work.

But, keep buying special lotions and gizmos, if you prefer a more expensive method, that doesn't really work.

I don't get a discount or kickback for plugging these. But after reading a lot of positive reviews, I tried them and I found they work far better than all the special/expensive stuff I bought from Auto Geek. If you need a sealer to fill in nicks...they don't do that. But for glass cleaning, they excel. :cool:

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Thanks Rich, just ordered some.

Dendrobatez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have to agree with some of the previous posts about washing MF towels in a certain way, if you only have a few just do them by hand with a good amount of warm water.

As for an ultimate clean windshield I'm a stickler for doing it a certain way. I clay bar
it about once a month, use windex or whatever glass cleaner you want after, next use alcohol to remove streaks if there are any and then I always wax and buff - I also only use R/O water instead of windshield washing fluid. A lot of people think waxing will cause streaking with the blades but I've never had this problem and for me it lasts a lot longer than rain-x

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Nope. I know better. I've been washing micro fiber towels for a few years now.

Sure.

It's just that from your actual description, something has gotten into the fibers and is being deposited on the windows. This much is clear, while your glass is not.

Big

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I use a magic eraser to wipe down my windshield when I wash my car.
I do it while it is wet, gets rid of all the wiper marks and water spots.

450.jpg
Yep, this works. It's especially good on the inside of the windshield. There's a youtube guy called "chrisfix" who outlines how to properly clean the residue from the inside of your windshield.
Sponsored