Sponsored

michelin pilotsport as3+ to ps4s swap

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
had a small window after the storms to try the new michelin "PS4S" (255-40-19/275-40-19) today,had them installed at the local ford dealership(hull/dobbs,birmingham)their price was in line with everyone else for mount/balance and align on hunter hawkeye.very expensive tire normally,and i took all discounts available to me.i thought i could not be critical enough for a true evaluation as to the difference between the 2 different sets of tires...the "PS4S" tires are light years ahead of the "MICHELIN AS3+",i set pressure @32 lbs square and set steering on my base 21(10r80)at normal(as opposed to my wife's setting at comfort),i have a "300A car",a few 90 degree turns and 4 or 5 highway on-ramps convinced me how much better this tire is,my only mods are "ford performance strut tower brace and k-member" and "FORD PARTS lower k-brace and splash shield,and "pp-1 wheels"...pretty sure they won't last as long as the "AS-3+", my car handles much better now!
Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Be careful on cold days. When the temperature gets below 40 degrees, you will find your traction will disappear. I had the Michelin AS3+ on my EB when I lived in Atlanta. I now have the 4s on my GT since I live in Central Florida now. When I had to drive up to Atlanta to sell my townhome, the morning of closing the temps were just below freezing. I did not have the traction to go uphill out the hotel parking lot. I had to find the other exit and drive very carefully until the tires got some heat in them.

Last edited:

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Iā€™ll second that sentiment, any cold mornings under 40 and theyā€™re pretty much useless until warm. I have to imagine up in Bā€™ham you have a lot more of those than we do down here. Hopefully you just leave it home on those few snow days.

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
Iā€™ll second that sentiment, any cold mornings under 40 and theyā€™re pretty much useless until warm. I have to imagine up in Bā€™ham you have a lot more of those than we do down here. Hopefully you just leave it home on those few snow days.
thanks,i'm aware of the temp limitations,the s550 is my wife's grocery getter and a "carnival ride" for me,luckily i have a tacoma on "A/T's" as a daily...i got the 255-40-19's for 250$ for the fronts(brand new),the rears came from "TIRERACK"..i have a decent understanding of "tire compounds",i worked at the DUNLOP TIRE FACTORY for 2 yrs,and i was on friendly terms with the lab-guys and the "test driver" that would come by a couple times a year,i ran "sidewall,bead and fabric calender machines" and i've seen the whole process from "products in/tires out"....the "AS3+" was a good tire....but the "PS4S" is a whole different animal!

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I mean you're comparing a high performance summer only tire to an all season tire...nothing surprising.
The AS3+ is a fantastic tire for what it is and comparable in many ways to cheaper summer-only tires. But the PS4S is just soooo good. Many summer-only tires are not even in the same ballpark.

So while nothing surprising to experts like you and me, I'd bet a set of Cup 2's a lot of people would find it surprising. šŸ˜‡

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Interesting thread, since the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season is supposedly an improvement over the AS3+ and performance of the PS4S over the newer all season still shouldn't be a surprise. You would win that set of Cup2s in a bet because a lot of people just buy whatever tire is recommended by the place selling them. Somehow, I have a feeling that many of them aren't on a car forum though. šŸ™‚. The PS4S is hard to beat in warm temps.
Sponsored