Sponsored

Metal piece in engine

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I am in the process of doing the timing set on my gen 2 coyote. Car has 100k miles and runs fine

I pulled the timing cover, and sitting on the passenger side tensioner was the metal piece pictured below. It was just sitting on the front of the body of the Tensioner.

I'm surprised it didn't fall. No idea what was causing it to hang on. Unless it came off the inside of the timing cover and rubbed off onto the Tensioner when the cover was removed.

It is non-magnetic. It almost looks like some flashing from the cover itself. It has the characteristics of HVAC tape, almost. (That shiny tape used on ductwork)

So, what am I looking at?

20240414_211152.jpg

20240414_211202.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess it's the foil seal for a quart of oil. Maybe someone who did a past oil change never got that seal completely off and some of it went down into the engine?
That is a great observation.

I must admit, I have always been fearful that would happen to me.

I wonder who this 'someone' would have been...

This piece feels like it's quite a bit thicker than those foil coverage, though.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If you can easily bend it with your fingers, then it didn't come from any of the engine components.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
My guess it's the foil seal for a quart of oil. Maybe someone who did a past oil change never got that seal completely off and some of it went down into the engine?
This is 100% what I was going to suggest as well. Even looks circular on the edge, if you flatten it out.

OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's crazy it was just sitting on the Tensioner.

I'm guessing the crank pushed it out into the timing cover and then the timing chain movement gave it a ride to the Tensioner where it decided to call home.

Huh. Interesting.
Now I'm trying to remember if Penzoil Ultra even uses a foil seal. And wondering how long that thing has been in the motor.
Sponsored