Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MEB MAN
  • Banned
Hello Everyone,

First I would like to say this will be an extensive, winded, text heavy post about the MAPerformance products which I have used up to this point. I know this generation is more into videos and pictures(check out MAPs Youtube) but I think it is very important for my to share my experiences when installing their products as well as quality and fitment.

TUNER
First mod that I did was a Cobb AP, not exactly a MAP part however the suggested tuner preferred by MAP. The AP is probably by far the best tuner I have ever used. It is light weight, simple and affordable.

I have a background tuning cars utilizing Megasquirt and what I really enjoy about the AP is its simplicity like the Megasquirt and its affordability. For instance the menus are easy to read when using the software and it gives nice text hints about what each table controls. Also, when pricing the AP to an SCT or HP tuners, the AP is much better priced and has a very tall ceiling in which you will never really reach on our platform as far as limitations are concerned.

DOWNPIPE
After the install of the tuner the next modification I added was the MAP 3 inch catless downpipe. This was a very simple to install looking back however at the time was very difficult.

What I mean by difficult is that when installing the new MAP downpipe you will need to line the downpipe up with the turbo first. DO NOT attach anything but the downpipe to the turbo. Additionally, you will want to be sure that the downpipe is alined properly to the turbo. On the turbo there are circle shaped guides built into the studs. The holes on the downpipe need to match up with the studs in order to make a proper seal.

I suggest before you start the car or finish attaching the downpipe to the exhaust, that you take a flash light and hold it under the turbo and check for leaks while looking up top.

After you finish this go ahead and finish the install.

I DID NOT get any smoke like some have posted. I have had the downpipe on for 3 months now and still do not have oil smoke. I really think thsi has a lot to do with some of you not letting you oil warm up to 100º before moving the car and not going above 3k or in boost till oil is 160º or fully warm. Turbo cars need to be properly warmed up before you start throwing boost at them.

INTERCOOLER
When you slide in the MAP intercooler it will go in much easier as the end tanks are not square like the stocker. I was very happy to see that the MAP intercooler does not rubb against the mishimoto oil cooler lines. I think this is one of the better options as far as intercoolers go because with the mmr and fftec you are going to be cutting and removing the bumper as well as potential rubbing of the oil cooler lines. TBH I was going to get a mishimoto intercooler as it is a similar design, however I did not and part of that is due to the quality of mishimotos products.

QUICK TANGENT
For example, the mishimoto oil cooler is a great piece and seals nicely but the core they sent is not any better at cooling then the cxracing equivalent. Im still seeing 215º oil temps easily. Also the lines rub on everything. They really should make a kit with black nylon wrapped steel braided lines. I used rubber hose zip tired to keep the lines from rubbing in certain areas. so when you think about paying around 500 for this kit, I would suggest you piece together your own with a setrab cooler or and earls. This kit is shit.

I also installed mishimotos catch can. This I was impressed with so far. It was very easy to install and the quality is nice and it functions well.

So as you can see I was very hesitant to purchase the mishimoto intercooler. I know its hard to compare apples to oranges but the pricing in comparison to the quality of the inefficient oil cooler, really kept me away from their intercooler.

Lastly, The MAP intercooler is amazing at keeping charge temps low. I am seeing 90º-130º charge temps going full throttle back to back pulls in mid 80º weather with low humidity. Before I was seeing 200+ Charge temps. So it only made sense that I felt an increase of torque through out the powerband.

AIR INTAKE
The MAP intake is a great simple and easy mod. I do like the sound of it when paired with the downpipe. The turbo spool never gets old.

LASTING IMPRESSIONS

Overall, I have become quite the MAPerformance fanboy. I really enjoy the quality of the parts that have that custom fabbed look and made of high quality stainless steel or aluminum. Adam has been a great guy to work with and available for support even after most shops have gone home for the evening. Beyond the look and amazing customer service, all the parts are dynoed tuned and backed with data to support their function. I cant wait to get the resonated map exhaust hopefully sometime next month.

Be sure to check out their Facebook and YouTube channel. They have great videos.

I hope this helps some of you and if you have any questions please comment or shoot me a PM.
Sponsored

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Thank you for your in depth review. One thing I wanted to comment on was this:

"INTERCOOLER
When you slide in the MAP intercooler it will go in much easier as the end tanks are not square like the stocker. I was very happy to see that the MAP intercooler does not rubb against the mishimoto oil cooler lines"

We actually changed the design of the intercooler on that side to allow for room on the oil cooler. You can see the original design below, compared to the new design. We flipped the MAP sensor and spaced things out a little bit to fit the cooler lines as we have one on our car now as well.

Here you can see the TMAP sensor going vertical.

And here you can see the final product with it going horizontal.