Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Lean is what melts pistons and fries rings. Even if there is no CEL you will be damaging your motor without a tune. Be weary of the Internet story that goes "well I did it and never had a problem." Voodoo has some mechanical background and may be taking a calculated risk. I'm guessing he didn't drive his car much with it lean, or at least I hope. Only time will tell.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
Correct. I've added more fuel and timing with a better tune and run higher octane fuel now.
Sponsored

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
Let me enlighten you.. Once you take the cats off this car you will definitely be throwing a CEL. To optimize performance and clear that CEL the.car will require a tune, and that will void your warranty. Without a tune you are barely making anymore power, getting terrible gas mileage, and destroying the lungs of everyone who has to ride behind your car that smells like garbage. Throwing a catless pipe on this car is not the same as your fox body or SN-95 with MIL eliminators. Voiding my 7 year warranty on a 60k car with an exotic motor for 7-10 hp at the tire ain't worth it.

Let's not even talk about getting pulled over and sent to the smog referee or ticketed. Having to swap mid pipes for smog. That alone isn't worth it for many. Not to mention after being in So-Cal I would value the fresh air and increased lung capacity provided by catalytic converters.

The stock exhaust on this car has been touted by many enthusiasts and reviewers as the best sounding mustang EVER. I would agree from all the people who take cell phone videos when I drive by. You saying the car sounds terrible is probably the craziest thing I've read all day. If you read back through this thread and others about this magnaflow exhaust the majority of opinions are the same. The exhaust note is more mellow than stock and the videos provided are lackluster in showing how it sounds up top
lol.

First, you don't get a CEL light from running an O/R pipe on the new GT350. It just doesn't happen. And the RWHP gains from running a O/R pipe w/ headers are pretty substantial and well documented. Some guys have seen close to 35 RWHP just from an O/R midpipe and headers.

As for the stock exhaust note of the GT350, it just sounds like ass and I am among many people who share that opinion.

Of course, I am not trying to be as disrespectful as this may comes across - but if you just spent $80,000+ on a new Mustang, of course you are going to "love" the exhaust sound. But if you venture outside of the Mustang6G echo chamber, you will find many people dislike the sound, I would even say a MAJORITY of people think it does not sound very good. It just sounds 'awkward' and too metallic. It sounds like a loud V6 with a strange firing order. I think it sounds better with the O/R pipe and ARH setup, though. Many of us are excited to see what kind of catback systems the aftermarket comes out with. When my delivery arrives, the first thing I will be doing is swapping catbacks for something else. It is one of biggest complaints of the new GT350.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
lol.

First, you don't get a CEL light from running an O/R pipe on the new GT350. It just doesn't happen. And the RWHP gains from running a O/R pipe w/ headers are pretty substantial and well documented. Some guys have seen close to 35 RWHP just from an O/R midpipe and headers.

As for the stock exhaust note of the GT350, it just sounds like ass and I am among many people who share that opinion.

Of course, I am not trying to be as disrespectful as this may comes across - but if you just spent $80,000+ on a new Mustang, of course you are going to "love" the exhaust sound. But if you venture outside of the Mustang6G echo chamber, you will find many people dislike the sound, I would even say a MAJORITY of people think it does not sound very good. It just sounds 'awkward' and too metallic. It sounds like a loud V6 with a strange firing order. I think it sounds better with the O/R pipe and ARH setup, though. Many of us are excited to see what kind of catback systems the aftermarket comes out with. When my delivery arrives, the first thing I will be doing is swapping catbacks for something else. It is one of biggest complaints of the new GT350.
Um, I can probably find just as many people who love the sound of the stock exhaust that AREN'T on M6G as you can find that don't like it. I get compliments ALL THE TIME on how my car sounds...from the import crowd to hybrid owners. Maybe the "majority" of people YOU know don't like it but you can't apply that in all cases. I will say before I heard it in person, I didn't care for it. But after the first start up, I was in love. :love:

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
[ame]

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
lol.

Sorry, you're in the minority who don't like the stock sound. It's one of the very few cars on the market that isn't improved by an aftermarket catback.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sorry, you're in the minority who don't like the stock sound. It's one of the very few cars on the market that isn't improved by an aftermarket catback.

I'd agree. I have put 252 miles on mine and rode in another for the same. I personally would like to have a smoother/deeper tone through the 2-5k range but the car doesn't sound bad at all. We were complimented at least 5 times on our trip.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
no doubt that cars got mad balls but it sounds noting like a voodoo which is kind of the point.

The biggest issue is it sounds as if it's being shifted at 6k or so. The car stock sounds really good 6-8000 or so.. so it would definitely be interesting to hear the magnaflow in that range, and a naturally aspirated one at that.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
lol.

your data sets are all kinds of wrong. I will provide specific research able examples .

If you look at lethal performances web page they clearly say you will need tuning when running an off road pipe since the CEL may illuminate. You will not remove the cats from any modern OBD II vehicle and not throw a light at some point. The sensors won't allow it, and they shouldn't if they are functioning properly. It is what the oxygen sensors are for.

The 16 GT350 costs 58k with a tech/track package. Even with the markup I paid it came out to 63k. Where are you getting 80k from?

6G Kool Aid? I guess Randy Pobst, Jay Leno, Matt Farrah and almost every other automobile blog, vlog, and magazine are drinking it also in regard to the stock exhaust. I'm not sure who the majority of people you say hate this exhaust are, but I would love to see examples that aren't your buddies from the garage or the coyote forums. Go ahead and find them, I will wait.

When did long tubes get in the mix? Earlier we spoke of gains from going catless because it was the only video that showed the Magnaflow exhaust sounding as loud or equally as appealing to stock. The point put forward was that the gains from adding only an off-road pipe are minimal and not worth it to make the Magnaflow exhaust sound good. Especially when a tune will be required. Without dyno numbers to show how much power the Magnaflow catback makes on its own Its hard for many to justify the cost for a quieter car.

Your turn

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
While I agree with almost everything you say, I live in Michigan. I have ARH long tubes and off road X pipe. Without the cats I had absolutely no CEL on a stock tune. I also pick up 30rwhp on the ARH system on the stock tune. I agree with you say though. :cheers:
I had a CEL with the Lethal off road pipes on the stock tune, but it was a single incident. cleared it and it didn't happen again. Never obviously with the Lund FlexFuel.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
lol.

removing cats alone seems to be worth about 9 HP from every respectable dyno I have seen. My car lost torque, so they went back on. ARH headers seem to be worth about 20hp, slightly more without their cats, Kooks a bit less. Adding a tune obviously gets you more, and actually keeps your AFRs correct. E85 is a hoot. I have not seen anything that shows what this catback might make on a car with bolt-ons. This would be nice.

As far as stock sound, I love it. Others may not, I'm not going to shit on the thread. It looks like a quality product.
Sponsored