Sponsored

Lund tune/build thread (2nd attempt)

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok guys, so we had a bit of a moment earlier today and whilst it was fun, it wasn't terribly productive. All parties have kissed and made up. ;)

So, the OBJECTIVE of this thread it to provide a resource for anyone who might be thinking about building a faster horse. As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat (or horse?) but this is the method I've chosen.

So, this morning, at 7am, I ordered a Lund tune with Ngauge, directly from Lund Racing in the US. By 8am I received an email from them (not generic) informing me that my parcel would be dispatched that afternoon. This proved to be spot on, things are looking good so far.

The plan:
Basically, fit headers at a mates garage, drive car around the corner with no exhaust, get 3" custom section built, mating up to my Magnaflow Competiton Catback. We will be installing an H pipe and some hotdogs somewhere in the mix, changing the lengths in order to get the sound right.
Also installing adjustable engine mounts in order to lower the engine approx 10mm to alleviate clearance issues for future Whipple (may as well do it while the cars on the hoist mentality)
No CAI for me cos Whipple will supply their own airbox down the track. Wasted money in my case.

Why Lund?
Well, I've done as much research as I'm able to do and frankly, based on my direct experiences with other peoples tuned vehicles and all of the info I've read, I'm not entirely confident in the abilities of some of the locals.
Bluepower DO seem to be on top of it but a 1200km round trip holds very little appeal.
Also, Lund can help me out when I go Whipple, having VAST amounts of experience with this combination.

The ordering process:
Lund don't deliver to Australia. I had to use Shopmate so that I could use an address within the US. No biggie, but something to be aware of.
Other than that, very simple.

So, at this point, I've covered as much ground as possible.
I'll be posting updates as the headers go on, exhaust, tune etc. all of which will commence as soon as the Ngauge arrives.
Hopefully this thread might give some insight into potential pitfalls, costs, timelines for tune revisions and all that stuff associated with going this route.

Also, a big thanks to [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] for answering all of my questions and giving me the confidence to go down this path. :cheers:
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
No problem with helping you out buddy.

Lund will sort you, when you get the Whipple drive it on their cal first, you will be impressed, then get Lund to tune it and you will be blown away with the additional power and better driving characteristics.

Here is a quick pull of mine on Lund tune with 350 IM. :D

Just a quick 3rd gear pull, will get better ones done, but this was just a quick blast in 3rd gear in the wet in normal mode.

[ame]

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Looking forward to the build and cannot wait to see you have a Whipple set up, amazing whine from that unit

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with helping you out buddy.

Lund will sort you, when you get the Whipple drive it on their cal first, you will be impressed, then get Lund to tune it and you will be blown away with the additional power and better driving characteristics.

Here is a quick pull of mine on Lund tune with 350 IM. :D

Just a quick 3rd gear pull, will get better ones done, but this was just a quick blast in 3rd gear in the wet in normal mode.

That tacho.... :eyebulge:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to the build and cannot wait to see you have a Whipple set up, amazing whine from that unit
Fortunately, the Whipple will be the only whine I hear.
My lovely wife has agreed to it (she has no idea why I need it or what it does :lol:)

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
That tacho.... :eyebulge:
Yeah top-end is hugely powerful compared to stock now, something like a 50-60BHP gain at the top. :headbang:

I am keeping my under 7700 though, whereas a lot of the US guys are revving beyond 8000 !! :hail:

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Fortunately, the Whipple will be the only whine I hear.
My lovely wife has agreed to it (she has no idea why I need it or what it does :lol:)
Just tell her it's like red painted cars only no need for you to trade in for a red car or respray it red. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just tell her it's like red painted cars only no need for you to trade in for a red car or respray it red. :thumbsup:
Ha ha. Yeah nah, she's all over it now. Luckily, she hasn't yet worked out the correlation between mega horsepower and tyre consumption....:crazy:

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
there's a few good S550 tuners getting very good results both here and the US. look forward to seeing how you go.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Car is booked in at a mates garage on the 19th Jan where we'll be cursing and swearing, losing skin off our knuckles and generally getting the shits as we fit the headers.
Booked in the following day at the exhaust place.
The drive there will be unique with no mufflers fitted :eyebulge::ninja:

Sponsored

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Car is booked in at a mates garage on the 19th Jan where we'll be cursing and swearing, losing skin off our knuckles and generally getting the shits as we fit the headers.
Where did you get headers from and what size are they? How long are you planing on staying N/A?

Im thinking about the Lung tune also and hopefully ordering in next couple of days.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you get headers from and what size are they? How long are you planing on staying N/A?

Im thinking about the Lung tune also and hopefully ordering in next couple of days.
Headers:
Pacemaker brand. Made in SA.
Purchased from a local shop here in Mildura. Circa $1500 with all the bits you need.
Hint: A vendor on here uses the same headers although rebranded and 200cel cats vs my 100cel. Add $500 for ceramic coating, which for me is just a step too far but I understand why some will want that.
The packaging clearly says for "supercharged applications", I'm guessing they make a 1 3/4" version for NA applications, maximizing scavenging effect.

The plan is to be NA for as little time as possible, this is just a stepping stone, although I'm genuinely interested in how the car performs with a free flowing exhaust and a decent tune.

Whipple offer a "tuner" package which is basically the same kit as usual, less the tune and flight control software. From all reports, Lund are doing a better job (less conservative) with their tunes for the FI cars and I have no need for the Flight Control software cos I REALLY don't understand why you'd install a blower and then whinge that it's too savage in the first few gears. Savage is the point of the exercise and hopefully the result.

The offer from Lethal in a few days time is probably as good as it gets. 10% off the Ngauge and $50 off the tune (half price).
Revisions are free for six months, provided you don't make "significant" upgrades, which I read as FI or serious changes to your NA setup (cams, inlet manifold etc)

Hoping that's not too much info, but others may be reading this and wondering "what the hell is this guy doing?"

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
The offer from Lethal in a few days time is probably as good as it gets. 10% off the Ngauge and $50 off the tune (half price).
Revisions are free for six months, provided you don't make "significant" upgrades, which I read as FI or serious changes to your NA setup (cams, inlet manifold etc)
Yea thats what im thinking about doing, I want to get as much power as i can out of N/A (already have catback with x pipe and will get intake and 350 manifold next) and im mainly will be tracking the car and think i can do it well with out F/I.:shrug::frusty::lol::headbang:

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
And make sure u get a video or a sound track !! That would be a blast !!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And make sure u get a video or a sound track !! That would be a blast !!
Greg, that is brilliant! I'll see what I can organise.
Sponsored