Lug bolt guide tools for protecting rim and studs

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Does anyone have experience using female threaded guide pins? These things save your rims from getting scratched and protect the stud threads when putting your tires/rims on. I always have a hard time lining up the heavy PP1 rims and I have scratched the inside of the rim barrel a couple times.
973499814.jpg

973499805.png

https://reverselogic.us/lug-guides/Female-Threaded-Lug-Guide-Tool-p33249836

Are there any other companies that make such a thing?
Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I’ve made it this long and never used anything like that.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I bought the ones you mention from reverselogic some weeks ago, after seeing them mentioned favourably by the GT350/GT500 guys here. Since all trackdays are currently cancelled here I've not had any experience with them yet unfortunately, but they seem like a good idea to me.

Bought them since the wheels are quite heavy, so a bit of work to get them on carefully without scratching my painted calipers (already scratched them a few times).

Here's one thread mentioning them:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/reverse-logic-threaded-lug-bolt-guides.148690/

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used them on my Porsches, since they have lug BOLTS. But didn't know they were available for lug nuts, meaning the threads are on the inside. They have to be larger, obviously. They're not crucial to have like with lug bolts (nowhere to rest the wheel until the hub-centric 'hole'), since you have a good 2 inches to get the wheel going. But it's not nearly enough to clear the front calipers, so not a bad idea. I'll check that link out. And yes, you need at least 2 to save the calipers. Learned something new today :).

EDIT: Just ordered a pair. Need to remove the wheels to clean them, and to check torque on rear axle nuts, so will wait for those suckers to arrive. Thanks for the heads-up :).

Last edited:

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I used them on my Porsches, since they have lug BOLTS. But didn't know they were available for lug nuts, meaning the threads are on the inside. They have to be larger, obviously. They're not crucial to have like with lug bolts (nowhere to rest the wheel until the hub-centric 'hole'), since you have a good 2 inches to get the wheel going. But it's not nearly enough to clear the front calipers, so not a bad idea. I'll check that link out. And yes, you need at least 2 to save the calipers. Learned something new today :).

EDIT: Just ordered a pair. Need to remove the wheels to clean them, and to check torque on rear axle nuts, so will wait for those suckers to arrive. Thanks for the heads-up :).
The guy who invented lug bolts needs to be kicked square in the taco. My wife’s Jeep Compass has those things. What a pain in the a$$.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Let me know if you get them and how you like using them. I am going to get a set but not until spring. Can't easily take the wheels off now parked for the winter in a single car garage.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Of course. They should arrive until Tuesday, according to the tracking. So probably by the following weekend. I'm not going to let the entire weight of the wheel/tire over the studs, since they don't look that sturdy, and don't want them to break. I need them mostly as a guide, especially at the front, to avoid hitting the calipers. Will also barely raise the tire from the floor, to have minimal drop. Don't want to hurt my back either. Ha ha.
Sponsored